Mignon Dalias too crowded or not enough H2O for h. basket?

Eunice, LA

Repost from beginning flowers:

I put 2 petit mignon dalia bulbs/tubers in each of my four 14 or 16 inch hanging baskets. In the middle, I put a caladium bulb. Well, being a novice, I didn't know how big the dalias were going to get. I thought they'd be small plants/flowers but they grew really tall. I noticed that their leaves are kind of droopy sometimes. It has been extremely hot lately, with the heat index being over 100 most of the day. I did also notice that the autowatering system spinner wasn't spinning, but I've been doing that by hand.

My question is... are they overcrowded? Should I attempt to dig them up and put them in the ground so they'd have more room. Are they just not getting watered enough? I'd hate to loose them before I get to see their blooms.

What is odd is that the expensive Tahitian Dalia from American Meadows hasn't taken off at all: http://www.americanmeadows.com/SpringFlowerBulbs/Dahlias/Tah... and they were planted first. It is in the ground

These petite mignon dalias are quite tall in the hanging basket. http://www.dutchgardens.com/detail.asp?pid=6342 Can post pictures later if you need to see.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

If it were me, I would take them out and plant them in the ground. Pinch them about 10 inches or so from the base so they would bush.

Eunice, LA

Thank you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi tathib ^_^ By 'petite' I guess you thought you got border dahlias ie. shorter dahlias 6-22"? Those actually don't need alot of room but not user friendly with other bulbous plants as they compete for nutrients at the same level in the container. If you do border dahlias you might try them with shallow rooted annuals in a container. Standard dahlias as Jnette says: bottom line, dahlias don't like heat so in your climate in the ground with late day shade (6 hours sun is all that's needed) would be better IMPO. I bet they will flouish. Pics please and thanks of your flourishing dahlias as you grow them ^_^

Eunice, LA

Thank you. I trimmed off most of their droopy leaves (they seem to be doing much better) and as soon as it isn't over 100 degrees outside, I'm going to replant them in the ground. You're right... I'm new to gardening and when I read "petite" I was thinking short and these flowers are really tall! LOL Live and learn, I guess.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Could the "petite" have meant the size of the flower? If that's the case I've found those plants have many flowers compared to the larger flowered cultivars.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, petite for dahlias.

Tht's ok. Gotta learn some time and every time any one of us tries something new, we don't know what we will get. Doesn't matter how long we have been gardening.

edited to add: We crossposted again Pirl.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:55 AM

You're right - we all do have to learn by doing. Sometimes when a plant grows too tall for the container it is a problem but hopefully we make note of it for next year. Easier said than done.

Eunice, LA

Jnette I think the uncertainty is part of the fun. It's good for types like myself to just let go sometimes.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That's exactly right. I love to try new flowers, colors, etc. every year.

The entire nursery business depends on us to select new colors and flowers each year. If not gardening would be so boring with just the same exact plants from year to year.

Tathib - when you do move them, if the weather ever cools down, please let us know how well they performed for you.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Pirl, I think that is why the industry is getting out newer plants to us too because we can get the variety in buying seeds. Competition.

Eunice, LA

I will keep you posted. They're still doing OK since I trimmed them, but we haven't had a day under 100 degrees yet. I'll try to go out at dusk fairly soon.

Eunice, LA

Just an update. They've been replanted and are all doing well. Thriving actually. They just budded, so I'm anxious for the pop of color.

That's great news! So glad it worked so well for you.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

We want a picture when it blooms.

I also want you to know that you can grow dahlias in containers if the container is large enough. I have a dinner plate dahlia planted with othr plants, including a caster bean plant with Lantanas in the bottom and others, in a half sized wash tub sitting on a log next to a shepherd's hook.

But, it still takes a lot of water. And also fertilizer once a week.

I am attaching one picture and will send another right after it.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

One more.

Thumbnail by Jnette

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.