Craigslist/Freecycle scores- show me!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I just got home from picking up this rocking horse someone was giving away- gonna take him off the frame and put him in the garden. I don't think I'll even paint him, I like his weathered look.

So what are your latest treasures you've scored on Craigslist or Freecycle? Show them off!

Thumbnail by the1pony
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

DH was able to replace his cell phone with an unlocked compatible for twenty dollars today. The guy bought it because he lost, and then found, his fancier phone. The phone came with a charger and still had the plastic over the window. DH is also negotiating on a $75, four shelf box smoker that's pretty new. The seller wants a bigger smoker and the one he has is twice the size of ours. I stay away from Craig's List, the Lotto and Ebay. LOL

I stick to the free section of Craigslist- much safer for me... LOL

North Reading, MA(Zone 6b)

From Craigslist (not free but well worth what I paid for it!)

Thumbnail by mcbc11787

Then I "decorated" it:

Thumbnail by mcbc11787
Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I mostly use the barter section so I don't spend too much money. I have taken pictures and put them up on photobucket of all the things I don't use anymore. I just post the link with a discription of items I'm looking for. I've gotten a lot of hits and some pretty good bargains.

I traded my brothers tv for a gps. Then when I didn't need the gps anymore (got a new phone and it has one in it), I traded the gps and an old igloo dog house I picked up on the side of the road for a metal detector.

That is one of what I consider my more successful trades.

mcbc, that is gorgeous! My Mom had one of those, and I always thought it was really cool. My sister got rid of it without telling me, I was so mad!

renatelynne, that's cool.. I don't have the energy or patience to use the barter section. I seem to be a flake magnet when it comes to people on CL, every time I list something for sale or even for free, it's a big headache. So I just lurk in the free ads now. LOL

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I can be a bit of work. But with my grandad and my brother dieing and my mom divorcing and moving in with me, I have so much STUFF. We tried a garage sale but we live too far out for it to be much good.

Thanks, the1pony - it was definitely a good find! I was actually just given an old White treadle sewing machine. Its not in nearly as good a shape as this one and my original intention was to just use the base and add a top for a plant table, like others here have done but my antique-loving-heart won't let me destroy it (its not in THAT bad a shape though I don't really have the time to restore it, but hubby keeps telling me we can make it a winter project. Yeah, we'll add that to the antique icebox that we received 90% stripped about 8 years ago, which is STILL 90% stripped. Oi!)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, now you're talking my language! I love CL and FC! If it weren't for those two, I'd not have anything nice. LOL

From FC I got a nice rubbermaid composter, which I use as a big soil bin next to my potting tables. I got my stainless steel potting table on CL for $20. I check CL and FC daily, several times a day. So I managed to snag the potting table as soon as it hit print. It has two drawers under the top as well as two big metal bins that hook onto the sides of the table. And it has a bottom shelf where I stack a few pots.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

And you may have seen my lawnmower garden cart from CL for $5. It's perfect for carting tools, plants, etc thru my gardens. I love that the top shelf is tall enough that I can put my garden designs up there and change them as needed without having to bend over and make my back ache. The top shelf is about podium height.

Ooooh I want a potting table like that! Dang! Looks like maybe it was a restaurant prep table? Sure is nice, whatever it was in its previous life. :)

I get ridiculous amounts of stuff on CL and FC too- most of it free. I am right there with ya, I wouldn't have much in the way of cool stuff if not for them! Gotta love it. :)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Pony! I see you can't sleep, like me. It's good to have someone keep me company. :-)

I didn't get these neat "people" from CL or FC; I got them at a discount warehouse for $25 each. A fancier place in town that specialized in concrete and wrought iron works was selling them for $125 each!! They're bar stools. Here's the man:

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's the woman; notice her earrings! LOL

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's the tiki bar I got at a yard sale a month or so ago for $20. I'll build a thatch and bamboo roof for it and I think it will go great with the bar stools.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's a heart stand that I think I'll put in my unity garden and put a potted plant on. It was $10 from CL.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Last weekend I got a very nice computer armoire to replace my big corner L-shaped desk. I was afraid it might be too small for all my desk clutter, but I figured I could easily get my $25 back by relisting it on CL if I didn't like it.

Well, I love it!! My desk has never been so clean! There's plenty of desk space in the armoire as well as lots of cubby holes which fit some of the stackable plastic drawers I had. So now everything is neat and organized and off the desktop. And the doors close up to hide any clutter.

I also bought some corkboard and glued it inside the doors for bulletin boards. Before, I had sticky notes all over my desktop and all around the computer monitor--little flags waving at me constantly. Now it's all nice and neat and I don't feel overwhelmed with clutter.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

This is what it looks like with the doors closed. I love being able to close them when I have dinner guests, since the armoire is in my dining room.

There's actually a door with more storage that goes at the bottom to hide the computer tower and the front lower half of the armoire. It got broken in the move that previous owner made from OK. The hinges came off. I actually have set it between the wall and the armoire like a table. The top surface is like a table top and is just wide enough for my printer. I thought about putting the door back on, but it would swing open into the pathway thru the dining room and just get in the way. This way, undetached, it serves as a printer stand.

LOL yeah, I'm a night owl. Always have been. :)

I love those stools- the earrings are a nice touch. hehehe. You're right, they will go great with the bar. :) And that armoire is gorgeous! I could use something like that for my desktop machine- I rarely use it anymore, (got a laptop, so I can lounge on the couch- LOL) but the desk still winds up overflowing with random stuff.

You are definitely a pro shopper! ;D

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Yesterday, from CL, I got a beautiful, solid pine rolltop desk that fits my Cricut Expressions perfectly for $40! I had been using a glasstop desk but there was no storage. With this rolltop desk, it has four drawers as well as cubby holes for my Cricut supplies and tools so I can keep everything together. It's a beautiful piece of furniture and quite functional.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The great thing about the rolltop desk is it keeps the dust off the Cricut, which I only use during the winter months. (Too busy gardening any other time) And it looks so nice when it is all closed up.

Yes, I love a good bargain. And I love unusual things. CL and yard sales are perfect for finding the most unique items at affordable prices.

I'm trying to conserve my mad money for next month. Each fall and each spring, one of the wealthiest subdivisions in town (complete with a golf course and country club) has a neighborhood yard sale. About 30 homes in the subdivision sets their "junk" out for us to buy. I get there about 6 a.m. and spend all morning out there. I take the seats out of my van and load it up! I get the best stuff! This past spring I got some beach chairs, 3 large plastic shelves with 5 shelves per unit, a firepit, and I don't remember what else. And I was only out there for about 2 hours...in the pouring rain!! I'm chomping at the bit to get to the Sept sale!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

By the way, I love the rocking horse! It reminds me of a carousel horse. If you're going to keep it outside, you might consider sealing it to resist the weather, maybe with polyurethane? It's beautiful!!

Preeeeeetty rolltop desk! I love those. :)

The horse is plastic, and supposedly has been outside most of the time- It already has kind of a weathered look, (which I like) but yeah, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to spray it with something to keep it from fading too much more. I have a couple other things that could use a coat too, so maybe it's time to go pick some up while we still have decent weather.

You have some wonderful finds there, ButterflyChaser!!! Our town has a town-wide yard sale every Spring and anxiously I await it every year! I, too, head for the "richer" neighborhoods first!!!!!

I had seen in a magazine where you could take antique bottles and turn them into photo frames. I was searching antique shoppes but they all wanted $15-$17/bottle and since I had no idea how it was going to work out (and I wanted at least 3) I didn't want to invest that much. I came across an entire box of blue bottles at one of the yard sales and bought 3... for 25 cents a piece!!!!!!

I wasn't sure you'd be able to see the pictures through the dark-ish glass but I figured for that price, I couldn't go wrong to try and it did work out pretty well!!!!!

Thumbnail by mcbc11787
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Your blue bottles are beautiful! And what a deal--a quarter!

I should try taking another picture now that they're picture frames instead of just blue bottles!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Yes, please!!! We wanna see!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness the blue bottles for 25cents??? Those with "bottle trees" would KILL for those!! LOL

You have all gotten some incredible finds! I am in serious TrashTreasure envy!

Is the horse going in the garden "as is" or will it get a Plant pot in it's saddle area?

I'll definitely try to get a pic since people are interested in seeing the finished product!!!

@psychw2 - "will it get a Plant pot in it's saddle area?" - I don't know what it is about that question but it just made me laugh! LOL!!!!

Hummm... well.... maybe cuz "everything" gets a plant pot?? !!**

I too would love to see the bottles serving as frames. Sounds cool!

The horse will be as-is, no pots. hehe. I'm going to mount him on rebar.

I wasn't sure how the photo of the "frames" was going to turn out but it came out pretty good!

Thumbnail by mcbc11787

Oh, wow! That is really neat!

Hmm... now I have to get blue bottles... hehehe.

When I set out on the project, I was actually looking for more "antique-ey" looking bottles - green, clear, etc. - but didn't want to spend the $$$ the antique shops wanted and I figured I couldn't go wrong with the blue ones at 25 cents each!!!!!

Lack of $$$ drives a lot of our creative ventures doesn't it? LOL

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I started Freecycle in Kingman, I jus got a Gazell woekout machine!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, you did good, Curves!

Those bottle frames are so cute, MCBC. I love blue bottles!

Goleta, CA

I got a bunch of free moving boxes and pallets on https://boxgiver.com/. Itís a platform similar to Craigslist and FreeCycle

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lordy arenít you all the experts..love everyone of your finds
Horse will be a great piece of art, Iím partial to antique sewing machines, love yours.
I was given my aunts, what was left of it so i made a nice side table with it

Englewood, FL

Hi all, I have repurposed several sewing machines, they were all in pretty bad shape not like mcbc11787s, I used the best parts.

Thumbnail by ifantail Thumbnail by ifantail Thumbnail by ifantail Thumbnail by ifantail Thumbnail by ifantail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.