Help ID this PA Native, Please

Gibsonia, PA

I see these growing locally and cant for the life of me remember what they are. I would appreciate any help offered. This large reddish stalk plant has large leaves with small white flower clusters that later close up and turn into dark purple berries. Its very ornamental looking for summer/fall display. I assume it seeds itself? Suggestions?

Thumbnail by millwig
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It is Amrican Pokeweed, http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHAM4

Gibsonia, PA

Boy youre fast! Thanks for the info.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

You are welcome, glad to be of help.

Glen Burnie, MD

So birds will eat these berries?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, lots of birds love them. If you've got a place to let them grow, without worrying about little kids poisoning themselves, you'll have lots of entertainment. (If the pokeweed is big, the birds can just sit on it like a tree. But if it's smaller, they have to figure another way to get to the berries - jumping up in the air like little spring toys, or inching out on the branch and then grabbing one as they fall.)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Plan on repainting your white car/siding/porch/lawn furniture to purple, after the birds make their "deposits" - or graffiti.

Glen Burnie, MD

Eeeww! I DO have white siding. At the first sign of a bombing, the pokeweed goes!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I have wanted to find out what this crap is for ages. In the desert it is a nice filler so the yard has color in bare spots. I like it, though it can get a bit carried away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.