Keep dahlia tubers?

Port Sanilac, MI

Another stupid question. I am digging up a few of my dahlias and see that there is very little growth on them except for the old tuber and some very skinny "roots?".They were the ones that weren't growing very well to start with so I know I can't expect much. With iris you toss the "Mother" because she won't bloom again; is that true with dahlias? Will the old one produce next year if it is good and solid? Those long skinny things, they won't develop into tubers will they? Have any advice, other than "You are too dumb to grow dahlias, give them all to me" grin. Kay

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Many dahlia places advocate discarding the mother tuber but it can generate new growth so I'd say to keep it if you love the flower. Those skinny roots generally won't produce a thing. The only way any of us learn is by asking questions and none of yours were dumb so have faith and good luck.

Port Sanilac, MI

Pirl: Thank you so much for answering me. I will keep the mother tuber if I don't see any obivious life on the new ones.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You're quite welcome.

I've been leaving the mother tuber if it looked good and haven't had a problem with them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If the new tubers (skinny roots) are thicker than a pencil they are good. I haven't had much luck with mother tubers but it's worth a shot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.