are out there. I don't post much, but I'm always saying " ohh, how
pretty" to myself at everyone's blooms.

Thumbnail by zinniared
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Linda, Love your Flying Saucers.
A Lav Saz in color block.

Thumbnail by patootie
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda - I love your Flying Saucer blooms! My favorite I. tricolor species! Beeautiful photos!

Jackie - Lavender Sazanami ... my favorite last year! :-) :-) :-)

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Becky. It's cool how some blooms are really light and others
more blue. First time I have ever grown them. Actually first year I'm
growing MG'S beside the scarlett o'hara that comes up by itself every
year. Jackie was kind enough to send me several varieties and I
bought the flying saucers. Now I'm thinking about next year's MG'S.

Linda - This was my first year growing Flying Saucers, too! And I am in love with those blooms!!! I can't wait to see the blooms next year of the seeds that Jackie shared with you! Gonna be another awesome year for MGs in 2011!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

The Saz is really beautiful. So are the FS and Love those too.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Becky and Debra.

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone got one here that Ive been waiting on all year and it finally bloomed for me.
I. indica

Thumbnail by rh3708

Robbie - Your I. indica bloom is beautiful! One of my favorite perennial MG vines along with the Yellow Chinese Evening Glory that I've had for 2 years! I am also a fan of the Alamo vine, which is another perennial. And I hope to get some seeds from Jackie's Pandy vine to also grow next!

I am amazed at all the perennial MG vines there are! Though most of what I grow are annuals, I certainly appreciate a vine that keeps on giving me blooms year after year. What a great family of plants that Morning Glories are!!! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Robbie, that is really pretty, nice and dark. The I. indica here is taking it's sweet time too, I just saw a bud on it and it skipped to the other side of the bench, it is still very small and almost died completely here. Looks like we are in the same zone. I lost 6 of the large white throat indica plants this past winter that were in pots, the one in the ground is the only one that has made it for three years so far.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

robbie I am glad yours bloomed. Mine never did this year. I think it had too much shade from the other stuff. That bloom is amazing.

(Zone 7a)

Robbie, congratulations on flowering yours - it gives me hope that maybe mine will bloom too - next summer will be its third years since I germinated it from seed that Gourd sent me. I was so thrilled when Gourd sent me that seed - I had read about it back in the 80s when Henry Mitchell rhapsodized about his "Blue Dawn Flower" in his Washington Post garden column, but never thought I would actually come across the seeds, let alone grow one out.

I'm in zone 7, too - interesting that Gourd's has gotten through a couple of winters in our zone 7. Mine sent out a runner that rooted in the best microclimate spot - right under the bench against a SE facing wall in a sloping gravel/brick path. But - grrr - DH accidentally weeded it out - next year I'll root it there again on purpose, with his blessing.

karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Karen, that is really good to know that it survived for you. Mine has not been a bully or really gotten out of hand, I think because it is drier here, it behaves. The plants looks rather scrawny too compared to what I had in CA.

Guess what? The one here bloomed this morning, they must all be syncrinized (sp) to bloom, It is cool out this morning and so they must like this type of weather too. I am going to run out there and snap a quick photo before school today.

A.

That's funny ... mine bloomed like crazy all through the hot summer and now that it is getting cooler, it has stopped blooming. I fertilize it regularly with a 10-10-10 fertilizer and then once a month with bloom booster. But it seems to be dying back now. Mine was loaded with blooms all summer long! Not a single seed though. I understand that it has to have a non-related I. indica pollen to produce seeds.

Mesilla Park, NM

Here's I. indica (Blue Dawn) looking good.. enjoying the cool weather.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is the whole plant, it is very small, the size of a regular I. nil, there is another plant about the same size as that one on the other side of that rock bench. They are very well contained and behaved this year.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here are two of the kikyo's (these are Kikyo Ice seedlings). I'm thinking of trying to start some seeds in bonsai pots since the root systems are so small.. anyone try that? These ladders are only about 10 inches tall so they seem perfect for the small/medium plants like these.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I've been pulling these out by the hundreds... purpurea seedlings all over the place..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I. arvensis seedlings growing in a and out of one of the raised beds in back.. when we had topsoil brought in, I think the seeds were already in the soil, there are about 8 seedlings in this area and I did not plant them, so I am waiting to see which ones they are and take photos of the flowers at that time. I hope they are all different colors...

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here is one climbing up the side of the bed.. these raised beds are 8ft by 8ft and 3 ft high..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Blue Speckles mutant "cactus" plant. Bloom is bigger than the entire plant almost! LOL!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

A - Beautiful I. indica bloom! Love those ladder trellises! And that crazy vine growing in your raised bed looks like an interesting vine! I hope it blooms soon for ya!

This is the first time I have grown I. albivenia from Germany! Colin sent me 4 strains of this plant. One didn't germinate. The other two are on grow-out mode. And this one sprouted and is doing quite well under lights indoors! Pretty cool looking MG!

This is the 3rd leaf of Stictocardia Bereviensis from GordonHawk! Looks like it is going to be a monster plant! LOL!

This is dark lavender Kikyo from Antoinette. Love the lighter leaves!

This is from Onalee's rare Japanese mix. No idea yet what it will be, but it looks to have some Kikyo genes in it!

This is Kai no Kasumi from Helena. Beautiful light variegated foliage on this beauty! Some of these would be worth growing just for the leaves.

This is another surprise from Onalee's. Love the variegated pattern on these leaves.

So ... enough leaves for now. Just waiting patiently for some blooms!

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, all your seedlings look great, nice and healthy.. They look as big as mine too. They must be growing fast.

Here is Shikanako (the seed that burst and germinated in the water) it survived and hopefully will do something, I think I see a tiny bud.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Purpurea's (neat Ramblers)

Crimson and Pink Rambler

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

A I. nil that volunteered at the end of 1 acre in the back with a bunch of weeds.. I couldn't believe it when I saw the bright red on the inner chainlink fence. It is rooted in the ground and the black pots were just placed in front.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Photo 2 of same flowers. They are pretty big too.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

I think these are Sydney, they were really difficult to photograph, they are so light but just gorgeous volunteers too.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

This was also a volunteer, that is what is nice about the purpureas, at least you don't have to baby them and still have some decent flowers..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Volunteers in a hanging basket, I believe they are Rebecca seedlings from seeds that fell off the vine that climbed the tree last year.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Well these volunteers take their job seriously, they hang on, in a crack on the flagstone/concrete..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

this side is basically taken over by purpureas..

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

Here are my two bosses on the other side of the gate, had to close the gate so they would let me take photos in peace this morning. But they made sure I did it right by keeping a good eye on me.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.