Discorea elephantipes

Yardley, PA

I just brought all my plants in and thought I would share a few of my favorites. I get such a pleasure out of just looking at them.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

That plant just makes me soo envious. How long have you had it. Wish I could afford one. I bet everyone, not just cactiphiles ooh and ahh over it. Don

Yardley, PA

I have had that for about 10 years. It was expensive back then, too. I think it was around $150.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

sally great looking elephant's foot, what we call them. They do become huge in nature. My dad had one in his garden for many, many years. I got some seeds, but have not been able to germinate them (first try) , will try again at some stage.

Mesilla Park, NM

I love this also, mine rotted outdoors this past year, but, it bloomed three years ago... I posted pictures of the flowers in the plantfiles.

Yardley, PA

That is heart breaking when they rot! This one can be touchy. Especially the smaller ones.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

That is one beautiful plant. My D. mexicana is the tough one to grow I hear, and I have a vine up a trellis, all around the top, and now along one wall. Not one leaf, yet.

Yardley, PA

Sounds like yours is being stubborn AnalogDog.

I understand that D. mexicana waits to put out its leaves, while elephantipes is said to leaf out immediately. Heck its kind of fun to have a leafless vine up the trellis and around the walls.

Yardley, PA

Your right AnalogDog. I had a D. mexicana and that is there growth pattern. I forgot until you just mentioned it.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Sally, ever tried dioscora from seed? I just got some notes I recieved when I ordered the seeds. I think I am going to have to try again. If anyone would like a copy of the notes, send me a d-mail.

Yardley, PA

No, I never tried the dioscora from seed. I have tried others and it is really fun. The dioscora's take forever to grow.

Go on over to the Growing from Seed forum and look for their sticky a chart on growing from seed, also B&T gives directions for each type at the page for them. There is also a post about the books being downloadable, so check that out too.

I am way too busy right now for seeds, but I would like to in the future.

Mesilla Park, NM

Do you guys know if B & T ever got some seeds for this one? I've checked so many times and they were always out.. i'll go check them out of these seeds and send Little things a d-mail for the notes.

Thanks.
A.

edited to add: the one I had bloomed but never set seed, I wonder if you need a male and female plant?

This message was edited Oct 23, 2010 9:13 AM

Yardley, PA

Thanks for the information AnalogDog. Very helpful.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Hi Sally......I bought my first Discorea Elephantipes in February this year, which is the end of our Summer....I had never seen one before, so I was quite taken with it.......
It came with instructions of course, but still I have nursed it very carefully since then... It went thru Winter in my shadehouse and now is the time, my late Spring, that I am supposed to stop watering for a couple of months, is this how you look after yours? My Caudex is about 2 ins across.

Yours has the best foliage that I have seen but I have only seen them on the internet...so I wanted to compliment you and get some growing tips at the same time...if you wouldn't mind.

I have a Ponytail that I have had for over 30 yrs, it was only as big as my fingernail, when I bought it.....and a friend has just sent me 2 Adeniums, which I am going to try, though it might be a bit cool, but we will see.
I found you whilst I was looking for the Adenium thread, you certainly have a wonderful collection of plants.
regards.
Dianne

Yardley, PA

Hi Seacharger - My Disocorea E. is about 12" round and I grow mine in semi-hydroponics. The smaller De's are very water sensitive so I don't know that you want to treat yours the same way I treat mine. In the s/h I keep it watered all the time. When it decides to hibernate for a short time, there is still water at the bottom of the pot. Mine just hibernates when it feels like it. Usually, when I make some type of change to the plant. Like when I bring it from the outside to the inside of the house for the winter. This year, when I brought it in, it just sent up 2 new shoots immediately while the other 2 shoots that were growing are dying back so the plant isn't missing a beat. Adeniums are wonderful. I have 8. They are a favorite because they flower all summer. The Ponytail plants are neat, too. How big is yours now? It must be a good size after 30 years. I have been growing caudiciforms for 15 years and have accumulated way too many. One of my favorite addictions. This adenium put on the most amazing show this summer.

Thumbnail by Sally0

That Adenium is so lovely, Sally.....if mine flowers half as well, I feel an addiction coming on......mine are mystery colors until they flower.
The info that you have given me re the way that you look after your De is very helpful...it gives me an idea of their habits...If yours can go thru hibernation with still a bit of water in the pot, then it won't worry me if mine has water there...it has stopped growing so I would imagine that it has gone to sleep for a while.It is growing in a normal pot with a saucer at the bottom for the water...Occasionally I give it a spray of water over the leaves,trying not to get the caudex too wet.....

My Ponytail isn't as big as it should be, I tend to neglect it.....it lives in a pot with some violets...
Thank you very much for your help.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Stunning Sally!!

Yardley, PA

By the way Seacharger. The breed of adenium really makes a difference as to how much it will bloom. In the picture that is one of the breeds that is known to be a big bloomer. I wish I could take all of the credit but I can't. Malestrom has a few of the big bloomers, also, I believe.

Thanks Sally, I have been looking at Ebay for the different types of Adenium and have found a supplier who appears to be legit....I am always very cautious about buying seed......and thought that I might give the seed to a friend who lives in a warmer part of the country to grow on for me while I see how I go growing the 2 that I have....I will have to keep them inside during winter as it would be far too cold for them.
I have a couple of tropical Hoyas that I have to bring in, so the Adeniums can come inside too.
Is yours A.obesum?

Arlington, TX

Seems like the known varieties that are grafted bloom for a much longer time than the species.
C

Yardley, PA

Yes, my 8 are adenium obesum and the big bloomer that is pictured is grafted so Newton may very well be right that they will bloom longer. I know there was talk about the fact
that the type also has a lot to do with how much they bloom. So, I think there are a number of factors involved.

(Zone 9b)

Analogdog said "I understand that D. mexicana waits to put out its leaves, while elephantipes is said to leaf out immediately. Heck its kind of fun to have a leafless vine up the trellis and around the walls."

I got one July that was bought as D. elephantipes which I understand is easier than D. mexicana to raise. But PalmBob felt strongly it was really D. mexicana.

Well............... I have it in a shallow pot with lots of pumice. It is sitting down in it about 1 inch. It has put out 2 long runners and I mean long, like 6 feet with no leaves. Now it was in a darker room because I thought it was dormant so I have now moved into a room wiht skylights when I noticed these long vines reaching out to my seedling table to the light there from a good distance away.. I was thinking of putting it in a set up like Sally has because she doesn't rot hers, but I wasn't sure how that would work since it has no roots.

Because it has no leave do you think it is D. mexicana or maybe because it was so dark it just has not put them out yet? To be honest I do not even see possible future leaves on the 2 runners.

It is not rooted yet either. Any advice, I am so open for it. Thanks

I bought one of these.

Thumbnail by Kell

Hi Kell.......I have the D.elephantipes and it had leaves when I bought it and it was in a pot...
I looked for D.mexicana and found this site that I thought might be useful....It mentions that the plant puts out it's roots from the side not the bottom..
http://cactuspedia.info/schede/TESTUDINARIA/Testudianaria_mexicana_macrostachya/Testudinaria_mexicana.htm
I hope it helps.....very interesting these plants....
Dianne.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Kell it looks like you bought a pile of rocks hehe :)

Yardley, PA

The picture is a D. mexicana. You can tell the difference by the leaf. The mexicana is large and the elephantipes is small.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.