How do you prep tubers for mailing?

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I am going to be mailing out a few tubers to a DG member as soon as we get a frost. I know I need to leave them in the ground a few days after the frost to let the eyes develop. After I dig them up what do I need to do to make sure they are in the best shape possible -- do I need to treat with anything, what is best to package them for shipping. They are going in a flat rate priority box so will only be in transit for 2-3 days. Thanks!

Boise, ID

I think a plastic bag filled with vermiculite would suffice. That's how mine were sent by Clack's Dahlia Patch and they were fine. Accent Dahlias lined the boxes with insulation and used it to separate and package the tubers if I remember correctly.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I have some perlite. Do you think that would suffice?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That will work fine kellydz. Also I wouldn't wash them but gently brush the dirt off them. The new owner can then treat them as needed for their soil conditions before storing them.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks dahlianut. If I can beg one more question -- How long should I let them dry before packing them up? Is overnight enough?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Overnight should be fine if the soil they were in wasn't sopping wet when you dug them up.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much! Looks like we are going to get a freeze this week so I wanted to be prepared.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.