Uncarina roeoesliana concerns

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

My U. roeoesliana has grown to about 12" this summer and the leaves are smaller than last year. Also, I just noticed the base from the soil up about 1" gives somewhat is I squeeze it gently. Above the 1" it is nice and firm. I wondered if all this is okay for this plant. Do I need to fertilize more in summer? I hope it is not rotting at the base. Maybe that is natural in the fall to have the softness (I hope!)??? I took the picture Oct. 15th. I don't want to lose this plant because I love the fuzzy leaves and yellow flowers.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Yardley, PA

I might check that out if I were you. It may be normal but if it is rotten you may be able to catch it early before you loose the plant. 12" is great growth for the summer. I don't know that you need more fertilizer. I love this plant. I have had mine for a long time. I wish I had kept better records.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

How tall is yours? Mine is a young plant I just got last summer. I raised it up some last year. I'd like mine to be like yours! Does it have lots of flowers in May-July?

Yardley, PA

The caudex is only about 7" tall but with the leaves it is about 18" tall. It bloomed all summer. It was delightful. They grow fast so yours will be as big as mine before you know it!

Decatur, GA

Nancy,
I think your plant might be rotting. Try a small nick in the bark where is gives with a squeeze. If its brown and soft it might be on its way out.
You might be able to root the upper part of the plant if you can cut it off before the rot goes up the trunk. But thats a long shot really.
I hope I am wrong. For now withhold water.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I agree with Helen, If there is rot, as Helen said, cut it out and then put cinnamon on it. I have one plant that had a little rot near the roots. I cut it out and just have the roots buried.
The entire plant is laying on the surface and I am letting it heal where it was cut.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

As soon as I read the posts of Helen and Sally I nicked the bark and it was brown and soft inside. I decided to cut off to try to save the top. I cut until there was no more brown and went a little higher. Then I put the end of the good piece (it is about 6" long) in Rootone and will let it dry for a few days. Then I thought I'd plant it in half cactus soil and half pumice in a clay pot for the winter. I have an artificial light setup that I could put it under or I can put it out on a patio with bright light and no sun where it is cooler. What do you think? Anything you would do differently? Would you tent it to provide a greenhouse effect or is that too much moisture?

Decatur, GA

Nancy,
I would have done what you did. I would not tent it but after its in the soil/mix find a warm, sort of bright place to leave it alone. Hopefully it will root. You might put a teaspoon of water around the base of the plant in a couple of weeks.
I have my fingers crossed for you.
Helen

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Hi guys...is this a Uncarina as well. I've had this now for 5 years, kept it alive, but I have never been able to figure out what it is or how to care for it.

Thumbnail by Little_things

New leaves after the winter

the leaves (bigger than my hand)

on the back of the leaves, some soft thorns.

Yardley, PA

Maybe a Jatropha? I lost mine but it reminds me of that.

It may be U. peltata, it's the only one I found now with 20cm leaves and thorns under the leaves.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Just love that plant...gotta have one. NancySLAZ, I hope yours makes a good comeback! SallyD, what a gorgeous specimen. Where did you all buy your plants. I'm so ready to beef up my caudiciform collection!

Yardley, PA

I bought that so many years ago, I really don't remember. I buy my plants all over the place. Usually from the Vendors at the Cactus and Succulent Plant Mall and I have bought a number of them on ebay.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aridlands and Mile's To Go is where I have gotten mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images