Pelargonium triste

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

This poor plant came to me with its geo-caudex horizontal, and studying the web on it and found it has leaves that radiate from the center of the plant and remain laying on the ground. If you look closely under the growth stalk you should see what I believe is another caudex showing on the surface as a small knob.

It came up with a mess of leaves horizontally and now I am using a rock to hold the the main caudex and vegetation upright and a bigger bonsai pot, as I have seen some plants on the web.

I am strongly leaning toward using a tall clay pot and letting about 1/2 of the top caudex show with its natty dreads hanging down. Other caudices will be buried. Or should I cut them off and grow them as separate plants? Or since the caudex has seen air is there danger in re-potting it?

Thoughts?

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Thoughts?
GIMME DAT!! LOL!!
Nice save, good luck with it, it is an enviable little fella.

Its good to have your smiling face here Dr. Plumie! But seriously would there be anything wrong with replanting it?

Yardley, PA

I have to say that from the picture, I don't see anything wrong with the plant! I love it. I guess what you do is personal preference but I like what I see so I wouldn't tell you to do anything different. Maybe it looks a bit different in person.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2010 1:22 PM

Here is the plant very recently. The leaves have been propped against the wall and become all disheveled as they need support, one even got broken taking the shot. Naturally they do not stand they lay on the ground, and I would like to repot to allow support like that.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Yardley, PA

I think I see what you are talking about now. What about trimming down all of the foliage? Otherwise, I use cut coat hangers to hold vines and you would definitely need to repot. Neat plant.

Thanks Sally, I was hoping one would understand the problem. I am probably going to repot today to exposing the top caudex, but I need to find whats under the soil. The plant and soil just went from the mini-bonsai to the bigger without disturbing the soil, so I have no idea what's down there. Thanks. If you look at PlantszAfrica and see picks in natural plants you will see leaves flat to the ground in a 2' diameter.

Yardley, PA

It is always fun to check what is under the soil. I have been very pleasantly surprised many times.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Nice job with the learning curve pal ;)
The plant looks great now!
still.. GIMME DAT!! HEHE

I repotted it, and contacted the owner of geraniaceae.com and described whats going on, and got a very nice reply to find out what to do, but I am still checking to see if I did every thing right, as this is one unruly plant.

Yardley, PA

Wow, good for you for doing all of the research. I would probably just put it in a little bigger pot and cut the foliage down. That is my impatience. Put up a picture of the finished product.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.