My first Caudiciform pointers cheerfully accepted

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

I picked up what looked to me like a very handsome Pony Tail Plant yesterday at Wal Mart of all places. I thought it would be a good first start on a sort of plant I have never had. I would be glad for any tips as to how to keep it happy. It measures about 14" from the top of the soil to the top of the foliage....

Susan

Thumbnail by Landperson
Yardley, PA

Very nice plant and you picked a good one. This is a tough plant. Let soil dry out between waterings.

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sally.
Will the leaves do a wilt to signify it's time to water, or will I just be checking the soil itself ?
And do you think I can leave it in this pot and medium for the time being or should it get repotted soon ?

Susan

Yardley, PA

The leaves will not wilt so you need to check the soil. You could repot. These are very forgiving plants. It will grow faster if you repot to the next size if it is pot bound now.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I would suggest repotting to a gap 2-4" between the bulb and the pot, as it will help the bulb grow. Right now, the plant should be treated as dormant which means about 1 cup of water each month until spring comes. They can be slowly accustomed to full sun outside at which time I water 2-3+ times a week with 1/2 strength fertilizer once a week..

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the tips.
As soon as I mix up some of Al's gritty mix, I will pot this up a bit...
Susan

Fort Wayne, IN

Very pretty, healthy looking plant.

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

This morning I was looking at pictures of other Pony Tail Palms and I noticed one in which the leaves seemed to be very long and fall very prettily even below the level of the pot. ( I think the one I was looking at was hung, which made that possible.) So, my question is, is there something to do to the PTP to make it's leaves grow long and flowing, or is that something that is determined by its genetics.
Susan

Yardley, PA

The leaves will grow down in time. I usually end up trimming them every year.

Providence, RI

I read online that the plant likes bright ambient/filtered light and that the caudex shouldn't be in full sun. Is this true? Does anyone know if there is a reason or consequence for this?

I have one which I bought at IKEA. I have kept it in a medium size pot in the hopes of fattening the caudex by making it a bit root-bound. The plant is doing well, with no issues... now my desert roses are a different story... always some drama with these guys ;)

I have see these Ponytail Palms in India, planted outdoors and they get BIG... I mean BIG... Like the size of a human... and the caudex, one can only imagine. It gets to about 2-3 feet in diameter. Looks almost like a tree straight out of a Dr. Seuss book :)

Yardley, PA

I found that if they are in full sun my leaves tend to burn so I keep the plant in morning sun. It is probably because the plant goes in for the winter and is not used to full sun. The plant will get big quite quickly. They can get human size. It is a nice, forgiving plant to grow.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

My plant gets full sun for half the day and thrives. It was in all-day sun for a while, no problem. There's no need to seriously underpot the plant, but it tolerates being root-bound just fine. I water every 3 weeks (when dry). The only problem I've had with this plant was the wind ripping up the leaves, but now it's in a more protected location and that's history.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images