Inspiring book on succulents

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I just got the book "Succulent Container Gardens" by Debra Lee Baldwin. It is very inspiring, has lots of pictures and great ideas for how to creatively use succulents in containers. Also has some information on care of succulents, including a two pages on living stones, which particularly interest me.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Any pictures/instructions in her book on how to use a cracked bird bath to grow succulents? Does she give sources where to buy or order different varities of succents? This past Spring, I sowed portulaca in an old bird bath that had a crack in it and they flourished in there. I also have another concrete bird bath that is so heavy that it takes 2 strong adults to move even the top off. It doesn't get moved often and right now I have it located in my breezeway/patio beside the wrought iron patio furniture. When I first heard about Debra's book on succulents, a light bulb went off in my head about using the heavy birdbath to grow succulents. I think it probably is deep enough but I need some colorful plants in there that can stand afternoon sun.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pippi, I've seen some very nice arrangements done in old Birdbaths. Might I suggest some creeping sedums planted around the edges to hang over. There are a lot of small creeping sedums out there in some very nice colors, blue, silver, chocolate and variegated.
North Hills Nursery is having a 2 for 1 sale on their Semps it runs till the end of Feb.
Also I have had some luck finding nice succlents at Lowes the past two summers.
Link to North Hills Nursery
http://www.northhillsnursery.com/

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Not birdbaths, but they might as well be:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's another:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Some whimsy:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Al, You have some really nice plants there. Love the driftwood also. LOL on the acorn.

The Garden Club that I am considering joining has a program/workshop on Succulent gardens coming up in April and each member is to bring a container and the club will provide the soil and 3 small plants. Might just have to order Debbie Lee Baldwin's book before then!

Thanks to all who responded. I have some ice plant in one of my beds in the back yard, by the rose bushes. Isn't that considered a succulent? I used to have yellow sedum at my former home and my daughter can give me more that came from my plants originally. I have some Hens&chicken in my strawberry jar but they are so tight, I can't get them out and they start drying and shriveling up, then they look ugly.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Our HGHA does a workshop picnic every year two years ago we made succlent wreaths everyone propagated plants to bring and share there was a wonderful collection of plants to chose from.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a container I put together last summer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

I couldn't resist Debra Lee Baldwin's book any longer. Place my order with Amazon.com yesterday and already have a confirmation that it's been shipped. Probably get here by Wednesday or Thursday I'm betting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like to get that as well and probably will. Acquiring the plants is still a bit of an issue I have been noticing more succulents in our area but we still don't have access to the types of plants that they do in other areas without ordering them on line.

Holly, Would you believe I got the book I ordered by Debra Lee Baldwin today? Amazon.com sells it for $10 below listed price. Shipping cost is only $3.99. Gasoline here is $3.25 a gal. and I shopped in the comfort of my own warm home. It is so bitter outside today..right now it is 32, it went down to 16 last night. Brr! How many more days till Spring officially comes? Looking forward to meeting you in Frederick at Seed Swap.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes the Seed Swap will be great fun. Looking forward to seeing you as well. I will be getting that book myself one of these days.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

A little planting, growing in/on a piece of lava:

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Tapla, That is very nice I love it. What all do you have planted in it. I also have a piece of lava that I plan on planting this spring.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh - just cuttings of this & that. I see Aeonium, ivy, sedum, Sempervivum, Carissa, and a couple other succulents I forget the name of.

Al

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Al, how long can you keep something like that alive? It is awesome.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I started everything in the rock in the early summer of one year. It grew through the summer outdoors, then I brought it in & over-wintered it under lights in the basement. You're looking at it early in it's second summer. By the end of the second summer, everything had outgrown the rock, so I prolly dismantled it & used the stuff on it for cuttings.

Thanks. ;o)

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.