What is the HOTTEST Pepper you've ever tried?

Myrtle Beach, , SC(Zone 9a)

Is it the Ghost Pepper? Habanero? Jalapeno? Cayenne?
Or is there another variety that you think is Scortching HOT?
Great Gardening and Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

Thumbnail by pepperjoe
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We raise about 16 varieties for selling at our farmers market.
Super Thai Hot, Bulgarian Carrot, Kung Poa, & Cayenne go into our special pickle recipe. All make the pickles very tasty. One pepper per pint jar. Extra flavor & some heat.

We dried a lot of them this fall & crushed them. They are in jars in our cupboard for use this winter. So far I used some of them in a big batch of chili. Thai Hots give chili an extra good flavor.
Bernie

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

I got one pepper of Bhut Jolokia (aka Ghost Pepper) from India. It arrived in a little zip lock bag and was semi-dried, with the consistency of a raisin or prune.

By manipulating it through the plastic (I didn't want to touch it), I worked out 4 seeds and dropped them in a glass of warm water and resealed the bag.

Those four seeds alone, in warm water, made it impossible to enter my kitchen without coughing. There was no scent in the air. Maybe it was something like being near, but not touched by, pepper spray.

I got busy with other things and forgot about planting the soaked seeds, but I'll grow them this spring.

I also ordered a Chocolate form of Bhut Jolokia.

Have you seen this video clip?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzk

I grew Black Pearl last year, and found it hotter than commonly available hot peppers like jalapeno and habanero, not to mention its ornamental value. It might have been concentrated by my letting them dry before taking out the seeds, but, after handling them like that, no matter how much I scrubbed my hands, it still set my face ... or other body parts ... on fire if I touched it for several days. A week later, when I clipped my fingernails, it started again. Even though I clean my nails with a finger nail brush frequently, enough of the oils were trapped under there to cause trouble.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Habanero is the hottest I have tried so far. I had no idea just how hot they were when I made some salsa one night. I did not use gloves of any kind and at one point I touched my chest and it litterally burned my skin like a really bad sunburn. It burned for over a week. I remember I burned other parts too including my finger tips but I will always remember the chest stinging so bad for so long.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I tried some pureed "NM Scorpion" at The Fiery Foods Show held annually here a few months ago. It's reportedly in the 1.3mil scoville range and although it was hot I suspect trying some Black Mamba (2.5?mil shu) sauce immediately before the puree might have skewed my impression of it a bit. I also bought some dried Bhut Jolokia pods (1mil shu) that are hot. I'm not a big fan of Habaneros but they're hot too. I'm growing some Caribbean Red Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Bhut Jolokias, Bulgarian Carrots, Thai Hot, Datil, Chiltepin, and good old Jalapenos this year.

So I guess my answer has to be "NM Scorpion", which is apparently a hybrid cross between a Trinidad Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia. Bhuts may not be the official title holder anymore (NM Scorpion, Infinity, and Naga Viper all reportedly hotter) but they're still "pretty hot".

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

PepperJoe,

I am a native of St. Augustine, Florida (the oldest city in the nation). My family were farmers who grew peaches & tobacco in Georgia. Later, they relocated to Florida. My mother always had a litte garden. My graddaddy said the "Hottest Pepper" was the Datil Pepper (pronounced daa-tell}. In St. Augustine it is very popular and they make it into chow-chow and put in on seafood, it is bottled and a big tourist item. Many southerners just eat them raw. They are too firey hot for me, and most normal people. The plant grows as a small green leafy bush, is not ornamental. One must use gloves to even pick them because they are so hot, if your hand touches your eye it becomes enflamed. I know there is a season a best yield, I think it is mid summer. People who do enjoy them usually cut up tiny pieces, and add as an accent to food. Some men like to brag they can eat an entire datil pepper, you would have to be a Southerner to understand this kind of mind-set. Also, the only other place in the world, purported, they can be successfully grown is in Minorca, Spain. Because the Minorcian Spaniards (Ponce de Leon) are the exploreres from Europe who first discovered and settled St. Augustine for Queen Isabella of Spain. This is not a fable, people in Northern Florida cannot grow the Datil pepper. Only in St. Augustine and in Spain in the area of Minorca which is a small group of people who sailed with Ponce de Leon when he came over in 1564 to discover the Fountain of Youth and claim Spainish province over what is known today as Florida. I think it is also a farmers pepper and probaley not cultivated for mass consumption. I hope you found this interesting. The brand name of the local St. Augustine, FL sauce is called "Datil-Do-It" and I believe you can buy it from a local restaurant called Barnacle Bills, which specializes in seafood.

MGinCincinnati

Saint Clair Shores, MI

The Ghost pepper has to be the hottest I've tried thus far. My wife and myslef eat jalapeno's every day with lunch and/or dinner. I bought some Ghost pepper's online fron TX. They came in full pods dried. I am attempting to germinate some of the seeds but have been unsuccessful so far.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.