English vs Western?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Or maybe it's English PLUS Western ... Check this out!

http://juliegoodnight.com/questionsNew.php?id=297

Richmond, TX

Good link!

South Hamilton, MA

Interesting & good explanation. I have never ridden western so know nothing about western bits. As a child I rode at a stable which was owned by a retired cavalry officer. We rode in pairs at a trot or if we were cantering outside. cantered as a single in the arena. 'Trot haoh!' Some of the horses had double reins. Some needed them but others did not (I think it was the equipment they had) so the instructors would tie up the curb & we went with the snaffle.

My own horse which I bought when I was 30 & we had a place to keep him was ridden in an O ring snaffle. I think the western way of riding one handed comes from the job which the horse was doing. The other hand was needed for handling a lasso & other equipment. So now western pleasure uses one hand.
Changing from one discipline to the other can be difficult & needs a good instructor.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

A solid horse can be moderately good at many things.
just takes patience and training.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I ride western but can also do some english riding. I just do it in western saddles. I love dressage and wish I had my own horse so I could practice it more. lol. For me it's not hard to learn how to ride in one disipline or the other. It's just hard to learn how to ride the correct way.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is something I had to get used to when I switched to gaited horses. They rely on "leaning" on the bit or "getting up on the bit" to work well. Giving them a loose rein goes against everything they know and can work with. I had to retrain myself. I still fall back into a loose rein on a layed back horse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images