New Years Resolutions:

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

anyone have any?

mine is to get organized

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Good luck! I have already started, by sending you some of my books!

I need to make room for what I really need to keep and since I live in "deer country" growing a lot of roses is just unreasonable. Still, I can enjoy other people's roses.

Come join us on the Clutter-free forum.

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

I thought I'd play it smart and start organizing back in August. I planned to have everything finished by the end of the year. Unfortunately I stumbled somewhere along the way but did get several loads out of the house. I loaded the truck with 23 file boxes of books for a local charities book sale in September. Fortunately or unfortunately I now have room for more books. Go figure! Another several trips to Alpha Resources opened up more storage room. Now if I don't fill it up again I'll be fine.

I won't make it by the first of the year but I'm enjoying being able to walk into my shed again. I spent the better part of a month out there sorting and cleaning. I do dog rescue and had a lot of dog supplies stored in the shed and it had reached a point where I could barely open the door. My two new goals are the kitchen and the attic. Wish me luck.

Barbsbackyard

This message was edited Dec 28, 2010 8:49 AM

Barb ~ Keep up the good work. And don't let setbacks get you down - we all have them. Just "Pick yourself up and dust yourself off", and get back to it.

Ours has resulted in a major redecoration for the living room and who knows what might be next?

Evelyn

We are putting things away more and everything looks so much better!

Thanks for your words of encouragement Evelyn. Its' fun when you can see what your efforts have led to like the redecoration of your living room.

I had planned to paint the outside of the house but time got away so had it done. That was inspiring enough so come spring I'll tackle the inside. Meanwhile the Christmas decorations come down after the 1st., get packed away, and up to the attic again.

If the rain holds off long enough I have a lot of pruning and spraying to do in the meantime. Never a dull moment around here.

Barb

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Barb, you do need to come over to clean and clutter free forum. I have picked up quite a few ideas about "things" and how to get rid of them. Sharon.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

you are so right sharon. the clean and clutter free forum has helped me lots !!! everyone is so nice and there are many many good ideas. of course, doing it is the hard part but the encouragement you get on the forum is wonderful. i never would have gotten started on if it was not for that group.

Yes, Sharon and sherm! You are so right. We hoarders need help. I may not get rid of my seeds though. I have put a lot of them into the "Piggy Swap" on the other website, but I am getting a bunch in return. My intention was just to get rid of seeds, but that did not exactly make it easy as we were encouraged to "oink" for whatever we wanted so easy to go "Hog Wild"! Still, they are now very organized, except when I put the ones I wanted to give away in a separate box, and then put the box away. Now I know where every seed is.

The challenge for us is to not let clutter of anything accumulate and then have a big mess to clean up. It is always easier to pick up a few things and put them away before they accumulate....

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

evelyn said:
The challenge for us is to not let clutter of anything accumulate and then have a big mess to clean up. It is always easier to pick up a few things and put them away before they accumulate...

so simple yet such a profound truth. if only i can keep to that one thought i will not be cluttered! however, i am keeping my seeds also. they were the first thing i really organized and i want to plant them all !!

(i dont know how to do that box thing that people do when they are quoting someone elses post)

Karen ~ If you want to quote someone, look to the left and in the box next to everyone's post, there is a "quote" under the post number. Just push that button after you have opened your reply. Then you can delete whatever you want that you do not want to quote inside the quote, then outside of the quote you may type in your comment.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

oh darn, i never noticed that. thanks

Hi Sharon, Sherman and Evelyn,

I'm on my way right after dinner. Thanks for the tip. Guess I did not look far enough in the index, never thinking there would be such a forum. You guys think of everything. Thanks again.

Barb

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

No new year's resolutions. But you want some more books, LMK, Shermie. DH is making me get rid of a lot of mine. : - (
I got to check out the clutter free forum.
WIB,
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

SW-would love any books you mioght have on gardening. i dont watch much tv and spend my evenings reading. thank you

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

SW, you hang onto your books!! Stack up to the ceiling! Buy them their own storage shed and put them in plastic bins! Or give them away if you wish, but none you don't wish to dang it!
My new years resolution is to replace all the books I had to give up. Maybe if I am fortunate, I can get one of those new fangled Kindle things. Then my library will go with me where ever I go. My nephew gave me a gift card to Borders for Christmas........:-)........but when I went to their website, the first thing I noticed was there is a craft section.......and they have paint!!! ;-) A few books can wait, I need paint!
That is the second resolution, to paint this year! Got my drafting table and all my supplies out and ready to go.

Good, Pedrick! Show us when you paint something, OK?

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

Will do, just dipping my toes back in the water with painted boxes. Here's my mess :-)

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I like your drafting table CatSmiling. Do you use acryllics or oil paints? : - )
DH made most of my books live out in the cabin, he is cleaning out the old cabin so hopefully we can move one of the kids out there. My ES and I are going to take the lathe siding from the inside wall of the sleeping porch, put up plaster boards, and build bookshelves. I'll probably have to give up most of my old paperbacks, but plan to hang on to my extensive collection of paperback books.
My kids went in together and bought me a kindle for Christmas. It's nice, and I've found places where you can download Free books!
I'll look for duplicate gardening books for you, shermie. I don't have many that I can think of right off hand. The thrift store gets a lot of them in though. : - )
WIB,
SW

Freedom, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks SW, the drafting table is an antique Deitzgen with cast iron workings. It is very special to me. I paint in both oils and acrylics depending on the time of year. I prefer oils, but they take longer to dry and in the winter you will choke on the fumes, ha, ha!
So now I am in a turmoil, use the gift card to get oils or acrylics!?
Glad to hear you like the kindle. I think I'd miss the feel and sound of turning pages, but being able to store so many books on it and even keep ones library on a server, would be worth it. Also really glad to hear there are free books available!
I was showing my nephew a cook book I have from 1898 that I had always dreamed of reproducing. He looked it up on Google and Google has been scaning books like crazy, I gather, because there was my cookbook!! Every page and every cute illustration. Hood's Practical Cook's book!
By the way, the adjustable shelf on my drafting table was my invention. I searched and searched and could not find such a thing. Then I searched for an adjustable hinge, couldn't find that either, so I had to invent one.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

CatSmilng, Quick patent the idea! I noticed the shelf, but didn't realize you had attached it, and made the hinges yourself. I am impressed. : - )
I paint using acrylics. Can't handle those fumes you spoke of, regarding the oils. I also had been playing around with watercolors and a bit of mixed media. Funny thing is everyone loves my paintings, they just don't want to pay for them. I've only kept a couple of the best for myself and gave most of them away.
I find that watering down the acryllic paint gives you a little extra time. I guess it comes down to what you feel most comfortable with, and the cost. Just have some fun with 'em.
: - )
WIB,
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.