This weeks question

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

What do you wear when you garden? After several people answer, I will give a link to see what your personality is.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

HI,
I wear shorts, shirt, hat, sunglasses and no shoes. I really look swell. LOL

That's a tough one, because it depends on the time of day, and what season it is.

Well, let's pretend it's noon and mid-summer. I'm wearing tennis shoes w/ socks, denim shorts, no shirt and no hat.

Dave

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

ok I will play most times its shorts and a tank top no shoes of course.You know this could be bad when shoe answers? lol

Mystic
I started to say "no men allowed" but it wouldn't be any fun without Shoe.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

yeah Cala it wouldn't be any fun without him. lol

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Since I have always gardened off the cuff, I don't take time to dress for the occasion. I might have just driven in and was snared by an obvious need in the garden, so I just set my saddlebag down and get right to it. As you might imagine, I have few clothes without garden stains of one kind or another. If I do awake in the morning with the express intention of gardening, I look for something loose, comfortable and durable, preferably with pockets. One favorite when the weather isn't too scorching is some smocks bought at a garage sale, sort of like the ones the checkout people wear, with good roomy pockets and good length. Underneath, I may or may not have shorts. And some shoes with socks, like old tennies, so I can dig. Still haven't gotten right about the hat and sunscreen, but working on it.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

All of the above but always an apron - got to have big pockets for seeds, clippers, cell phone, gloves, I am always
jerking one or the other off and if I lay it down it's "gone" maybe for days! I usually look pretty tacky and hope nobody but a neighbor drops by.

Endicott, NY(Zone 5a)

I have fair skin so I usually wear sunblock, a hat, gloves, baggy t-shirt, baggy cotton knit pants, socks, and tennis shoes. My other favorite is denim overalls worn over a baggy t-shirt. My latest accessory is a bug screen worn over my hat. I look tacky and dirt poor (pun intended) when I garden so I can't wait to see what my personality is.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Usually I can't wear shorts and have to wear jeans 'cause the misquitos are so bad in my neighborhood. I prefer being barefoot if possible but do wear tennis shoes when the weather is cool. I wear a tee shirt or loose fitting blouse and prefer comfortable clothes that are already stained or "broken in" so that I don't feel guilty treating them badly. I usually look terrible but feel great.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Bibs, no plumbers crack for me.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

black tank top and black pants, garden clogs, my straw hat, sunscreen when I can stand it (yucky) and prescription sunglasses. I plan to find wonderful fabric and make myself a great gardening apron this year because I, too put things down and can't find them for entire seasons at a time. Anyone have a pattern?

Bibs are sounding smart... but isn't it hot?

wonder what it all means?? hehehe!

--in His love,
janie
<{{{><

This message was edited Monday, Oct 8th 1:35 AM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Blue jeans with special padded knees and whatever old shirt I happen to steal from DH. Slip on clogs or bare feet. Hat but no gloves most of the time.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Pyjamas (sometimes shorts), t-shirt and slippers. On any given day.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

blue jeans, a flannel shirt or a plaid cotton shirt depending on the temp, old sneakers OR rubber clogs OR barn boots OR work shoes, depending on the temp and the depth of the mud!

Gloves, forgot my gloves, and sometines wrist splints if there's serious digging involved. Very workwoman like when I go out, but then, jeans and a plaid shirt is what I wear for just about anything.

This message was edited Monday, Oct 8th 7:10 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Sweats or shorts (depending on weather), t-shirt, tennis shoes....sunglasses if it's sunny. I like to be comfortable :o)

Jeans,pullover t-shirt with my old garden shirt(long sleeve),gloves,hat with hair tucked in,shades,sunblock.

Depending on the weather and job for the day,barefoot or boots' Also wear mag wrist bands for added protection,always lifting or carrying something'

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cala i was thinkin about this ? last night!! During the warm summer months-I wear jean cutoffs and my bikini top and always have a t-shirt with me to cover up when the mailman pulls in with more plants!(dont want to scare him)
dori
in the spring n fall-lots more clothes
carharts today-wake up 30 degrees right now!!!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Summer-sports bra and baggy shorts with pockets for pruners, seed envelopes and a pen, or bathing suit with shorts (so I can hop in the pool in between chores) and no shoes, unless I am going to mow or trim.
Spring/Fall-same shorts or cut off sweats with sweatshirt and tennis shoes (occasionally ankle boots).
Can't wait to see where this one is going......LOL

Okay, If you dare, here is the link. This link only talks about womens clothing, so I guess the men can improvise.
http://www.surrealcityjungles.com/article1014.html
I hope everybody takes this in the fun spirit it was meant.

This message was edited Monday, Oct 8th 8:13 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Usually...
Summer: Shorts, T-shirt, sandals or gym/tennis shoes unless it's raining, then waterproof boots.

Winter/cold months: Sweat pants or Army camo pants, sweat shirt or T-shirt (depends on how cold), lined flannel jacket or an old Army cold weather parka.

Agawam, MA

OK, I'm "The In-Patient". More often than not, I go into the garden first thing in the morning still in my PJ's and slippers. Other times, I wear whatever I happen to have on - usually a baggy t-shirt, shorts, birkenstocks. Lots of times, I'll be dressed to go out, just go to check one thing in the garden (yeah right!), have to come in and get changed...
Cindy

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Shorts, t-shirt shoeless or tennis shoes (I'm like Aimee, there is very little in my wardrobe that doesn't have a gardening stain on it) or bib overalls and workboots. Ummm, and a shirt under those overalls just for public decency :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I am mostly "the jock" but have a little in-patient mixed in for good measure... Very funny very accurate in my case..both the clothing and the plants in my garden LOL

In the hot summer months,not any more than I have to. In the winter, pile on the clothes.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm going to answer before I go look. I garden in anything I have on when the feeling strikes me! LOL!! But if I have my druthers, it's barefoot, no gloves, shorts and a t-shirt with my butt-length hair piled up on top of my head in a lop-sided bun. ;-)

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Hee-hee-haw-haw! Too funny, Calalily! I'm probably a mix of the In-Patient and Daisy-Mae ~ it's HOT here in Texas so you gotta' wear as little as possible! ;-) Of course, I don't worry about the neighbors seeing me as my nearest is 1/4 mile away through the trees.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Well for what I wear I would be Farmer Blue Jeans to a T. as for favorite plants I fit the jock. I am far from the rest of jock though. Of course this is for women so we would have to see if they hold the same for men.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Farmer Blue Jeans - type cast again!!!!!!!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I keep reading about you people who garden barefooted. Here in central Texas, you would take about three steps and run for some kind of protection, as we have every type of burr and stickery thing imaginable attacking tender feet. And if some fire ants happen to be roaming away from the mound where you don't notice them, it's oweee! I have worn a pair of shower clogs out, so thin my foot is almost on the ground, but they are handy. Makes a nice design on my foot when my tan takes over. Easier to brush off the ants than with socks and tennies, and I turn the hose on them if I'm watering, no soggy shoes. Glad to see others who go out in jammies and slippers, do you also think you're just going to take a quick look, coffee in hand, and then set the coffee cup down and let it get cold when some quick job turns into a "till noon" thing? Obsessive-compulsive? Me? Perish the thought, I just like gardening. Yes, in the rain sometimes.

Crossville, TN

Gardenhubby, thanks for your consideration to others with the bibbies. Next to seeing guys with the "plumbers crack", I dislike the "right at the top of the ear" hair part! I wear my robe, drinking a cup of tea...remember? I'm a reader/pointer.....read about it and point where I want it so DH can plant it...where HE wants it...LOL Jo

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Probably out of line here again, but in summer a bathing suit (sometimes without the top) but we are very remote here and with just me and hubby it is no big deal and seldom that anyone ever drops by. But after the frost last night, I was working in my sweats!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

once again cala I have not found out "who I am" by one of your test..giggle, I think I am getting a complex. So far, I have no favorite color and I don't know who I am as a gardener..geeez, I am a mess.. *LOL*

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

in my yard, i'm a barefooter; when visiting fields or other people's yards, it's steel toed hiking boots (can't find regular work boots small enough for my feet). in my yard, if it requires the boots, then I con dh into doing it ;-) tshirt and shorts in the summer, bluejeans and plaid flanel shirt (stolen from dh). allways - baseball hat with 2 1/2 foot pony-tail pulled through the "strap"... gloves if there are roses involved, but mostly just grimy hands.

... ok, now I'm going to peek at the link

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Bikini top or sports bra and spandex shorts,I'm too old too wear it in public ,so only the plants are subjected to the sight.Sweats at this time of the year!!!

I'm a total slob. If it's hot, shorts and tshirt. If its cool, sweat pants and tshirt. If its cold, sweat pants, tshirt and sweatshirt. Always workboots. Men's size 6 (I think) - This is my wardrobe 24/7 unless I have to go out in public. v

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Like Wingy, I ain't gonna go look either, am too a-scared to find myself. Gardenhubby...beware, crack kills! HAh, as for me folks, I'm sure the women at the Stay At Home Moms forum know how I have dressed in the mornings, but when I leave the house I prefer a comfy hat, sunglasses (with neck string), a baggy shirt, and SHORTS...I cain't stand those newfangled "shorts" that go all the way down to your calves. Shorts oughtta be SHORT and not continue on down your leg as far as these new-age "shorts" do! Course now, don't get me started...I 'member the time I put on a brand spankin' new pair of them shorts that went all the way down to my calves and they got so uncomfortable I couldn't even bend over! I was so dressed up I felt like I had to have Sunday shiny shoes on. Finally I had to take them off! And I was out in the garden! We ain't got too many close-by neighbors so I felt safe working in my skivvies. However, I got so tired of tossing them long short-britches down the row ahead of me to get 'em outta my way that when I got to the end of the row I chucked them over the fence into the neighbor's cow pasture! Figgered I'd never wear 'em again anyway. Well folks all I gotta say is..."it weren't my fault". Ya see, unbeknownst to me that half a pair of longpants landed right slap dab on the head of a cow, or I should say a calf! (Remember, I told ya they were calf length?) This po po calf's head fit them shorts perfect! From what the Po-lice told me them shorts apparently landed just right and not only covered the eyes of that calf but also covered its ears! What they also told me was that not only did the crotch settled in over the eyesockets but the zipper straddled the calf's nose and the legs of them shorts was sticking straight up in the air AND(!) somehow or other the pockets turned themselves inside out and were flapping in the wind like broken bird wings as the calf took off running lickity-split and wailing like my neighbor Bert when he fell into the bonfire tryin' to fetch his marshmallow! Well, like I said, it weren't my fault. Ya see, (unbeknownst to me) late that very nite that calf ended up near Widow Johnson's house. It was bellering so loud and creating such a nuisance that Mz Johnson got her ball bat and came outside to take a look. In the dim light of a toenail moon she squinted her beady little eyes and was soon wishing she wasn't looking at what she saw! What she saw was that "ghost", as she declared it to be! Soon there was another wailing sound, 'twas Wider Johnson!...it was so loud and scary the Wider Johnson's boyfriend jumped outta bed to come see what the commotion was! Well, I ain't going into a whole lotta detail here but I will say that from this day forth I refuse to wear so many clothes out into the garden no more! (As an aside, by the time the Po-lice Squat team arrived-err, something like that- most folks in the neighborhood were seen to go back in their houses and either take Nytol or crack open large bottles of Granpa's sleep medicine.) Anyway, back to the topic at hand...as for me, I been reading these here posts and have decided to try out one of them thar "sports bras"...never wore one before and it might go good with my fig leaf attire...maybe an apron would compliment it too! Either that or move to Hagerstown and live w/haighr and hubby where it's safe!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Calalily where do you find these ha ha ha they sure are fun.

Lyndeborough, NH

>don't get me started...I 'member the time I put on a brand >spankin' new pair of them shorts that went all the way >down to my calves and they got so uncomfortable I couldn't >even bend over!

Shoe
Don't suposse you did a blonde thing and bought a couple sizes to small.. Ya need a 38 not a 32. When the shorts are too small it gives you a migraine.. ~~VBG~

Wingnut,

Would love to see the Doo.. I am a long hair lover..

Wear what I need, this week its cords and a jacket, expecting 24F tonight..

Byron

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.