sparkler/bottle tree hybred

Rensselaer, IN

Thanks for all the inspiration on this site. My goal this year is to learn to post pictures. I would love to share some of my creations with you all. My latest is a bottle tree with 240 2 oz bottles but it must be assemble in place and can't do that until spring. My new project is a sparkler/bottle tree with cobalt blue beads, but I don't know how to measure the holes in the beads when ordering. I love working with 16 gage wire and wrapping it on re bar. So that's my question: what size hole will accommadate 16 gage wire? I really know nothing about beads...any info will help.
Thanks Sharon

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't wrap my head around what you are describing so please learn to post pictures!! Sounds very interesting! I had used real tree limbs for my bt and they rotted so I am going to make a new one this year. I have a beading and wire kit that a friend gave me and need to learn how to do it.

edited to say....just found this in FAQ

How do I add an image to a post?
You can add an image to a new thread you're starting, or to a new post within a thread. Beneath the text box for your post, you'll find a "browse" button. This will open up a new window displaying your hard drive. Locate your image you wish to upload, then press "Preview". If you're happy with the entry, press "Submit". It will be automatically uploaded and available for all readers to access.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2011 8:06 AM

Plano, TX

i look forward to seeing your creations!

Rensselaer, IN

Thanks for the kind words...I'm still experimenting with the photos...thought I had it figured out but can't transfer from cell phone...I'll try the granddaughters camera. Sharon

Rensselaer, IN

My granddaughter and my first photo post...I'm making progress

Thumbnail by sab66
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

sab66
16 gauge wire has a diameter of .0508". A one sixteenth inch hole.(1/16") has a diameter of .0625" which would allow the wire to pass through.

Rensselaer, IN

Rocco, thanks so much, my brain is mush...so if I have a hole size of 2mm will the wire go thru it? I'm thinking it will. Sharon

This message was edited Jan 9, 2011 10:39 PM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

A millimeter is .039". two mm would be .078" which is more than enough clearance for the wire to pass through.

Rensselaer, IN

Rocco...thanks so much...I'm working on my bead order now.
Still didn't get a picture of my first bottle tree tonight and a snow storm is on the way. But picture this:
72 cobalt blue bottles ...1/2 oz size
16 gage wire...72 lengths of 2 feet
1 rebar 2 feet

Wrap wire around the mouth of bottle 2-3 times and repeat with each bottle and wire piece.
Begin at top of rebar, wrap wire around rebar,...bottle and 6-8 inches of wire extend beyond the top of the rebar. repeat with each piece
Place rebar in the ground about 12-14 inches. Arrange the bottles out from the rebar in a pleasing style Surround with fresh snow and bright sunlight.
My granddaughter calls it her Channuka bush. It's was very heavy which is why the bigger one must wait until spring and the ground thaws. I'll have to wrap the wire on the rebar after it's in the ground. Thanks again, Sharon

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Sharon
It has been snowing here all day. It has been a light snow and there isn't much that has accumulated on the ground. One of my daughters lives in Kokomo and the weather there is certainly different than here in Oklahoma. I'm glad the the wire and hole dimensions that I supplied were useful to you.

Rensselaer, IN

I've attempted to post a picture of my bottle tree and am promted that it must be in GIF, JPG, OR PNG ... GOK....will keep trying ;) sharon

Thumbnail by sab66
Rensselaer, IN

I did it....I can die a happy old woman...Sharon

Thumbnail by sab66
Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

sab66:
Great bottle tree. Where in the world did you find 72 blue 1/2 oz bottles? Are you going to leave it out after the snow melts. I would. I've been collecting bottles for my own bottle tree. Having difficulty making the tree. Wanted rebar, but can't weld, found one on line made from copper pipe that looks promising, you wrap copper wire around the pipe and bottles. Now they are just stuck on rebar, and pieces of wood in the front planter.

I'm having the same problem. How do you change a picture that is a .doc to a jpeg or whatever. I've gone in and changed the extension to .jpeg, but it still remains a word document. I am confused, as sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.

Rensselaer, IN

Rocco, I've been through Kokomo...we're west of there almost to the state line with Illinois. I spent 9 years in NW Tennessess and will never forget the ice storms...but when spring starts in Februrary, I couldn't complain. I've been busy ordering beads to string on wire...found some pretty cobalt blue glass beads...hope they look like minature bottle trees ..(still haven't found the spell check on this thing)

Keeping active...Thanks for the kind words...there are several sites that sell small bottles for oils, etc.. and I bought wine bottles from a DIY wine supply site. Yes, I plan to leave the bottle tree in place...it's surrounded by periwinkle. Last year I killed all the grass and planted ground cover. I don't mow and I don't rake...the granddaughter loves animals, so we had our small piece of earth certified as a Wildlife Habitat. I love the idea of combining the entire yard into a eco friendly garden with our love of garden art. I'll have to post a picture of the GD's mural on the garage wall. I'm not sure what the neighbors think...to each his own Sharon
ps I can't help you with the picture posting...I'm almost brain dead and will probably not remember anything I did for the next time. Laugh Out Loud rolling on the floor;)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

keepingactive
I constructed a bottle tree with one half inch copper pipe and fittings. I used a butane torch, flux and solder to assemble the tree. I didn't want a free standing tree in the yard and made it in the form of an espalier against a brick wall. The tree is several years old and I have been collecting blue bottles to replace the green ones.
Soldering all of the pieces together isn't very difficult.

Thumbnail by Rocco
Danville, IN

Awesome bottle tree, Rocco! Never seen anything like it before. I bet it would also be very cool to do one freestanding with four arm at right angles (two like now, with two more added) arrangements, possibly on a stand that allowed it to rotate. Great garden art!

Rocco, Great looking tree, and I have just the wall for one like that. My mother was an assembler, and I think if I dig around for a few days, I might find her soldering iron, would that work with the flux. Oh wait you mention butane torch, flux and solder. Hmmmm, I think I may be missing something. I think what my mom used was a soldering 'gun' . I guess the guys at the hardware store (Osh) can sell me what I need. I've taken up drinking wine in blue bottles, get it at BevMo. Stocked up when they had their buy one, get one for 5 cents sale. Took to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners (6 bottles). Have to wait for Easter to empty 3 more.
Sue

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Keeping active
A soldering iron probably won't get the copper hot enough to melt the solder the butane torch heats up the joints very quickly. Walmart had a kit which included a wire brush for cleaning the inside and outside of the copper fittings, flux, and solder for $8.00.
You don't have to wait until Easter to empty the blue wine bottles!

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

Speaking of BLUE wine bottles. This past holliday our friends gave us a bottle of a German Wine. It was called Liebfraumilch by Hans Schiller. It tasted great. So I went to The Total Wine Store (they give a 10% disc. by the case) & purched a case then went back & got another case. Our family has been hooked on a Virginia White Wine called Willimsburg Governors White for years. Looks like we have made the big switch. I will be having plenty of dark blue bottles to construct the worlds largest tree. Soon as I figure out how to construct a real good base to hold all that weight. I will keep you all posted with pictures as soon as I get off my --- & get started. I think its time to go back to TTWS again ?

Rocco:
Good morning, and Thank You. Just so happens WalMart is on my list of places to go today, so I will look for the kit. And Home Depot is is the same area so wiol look at copper pipe. Yippeeee!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images