WINTER BLAST

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

This is scheduled for Monday and should be the coldest this year.
Consider yourself warned.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

That will be a dream !!!
When did you get this information?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It was on the weather channel and local news. I hope it doesnt reach central Texas and we only get in the 20s.

I can handle the 20s but I grow too many sub-tropicals and get nervous in the teens.

It really looks like the central U.S. is going to get clobbered.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I really hate to say "you're right."
Looks like you'd better get smudge pots to put out in your orchards. I've already starting re-thinking how to save some of my nanas that I thought I could just throw a blanket over. Weather guy says "they" usually understate the cold coming down from Alaska. He wants Austin to be more wary and be ready for teens next week. Guess I'll be moving bougies off my front porch tomorrow!

Thanks for the "heads up!"

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the heads up!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

National Weather Service might be backing off on it for Central Texas but north Texas might still be hit. Keeping a close eye.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I heard about it on the news last night. A system in the east and a system in the west will open up the central part of the US for a nice blast of polar air. Here in N. Texas, they are predicting temps to get no higher than FREEZING next week with lows in the teens!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/mild-weather-ushers-in-bitter-cold-next-week/

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh boy!!! I hate cold weather.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm hoping they're overexaggerting. LOL

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Winter blast , arctic front : I AM READY !!!
I covered my vegetable garden for the first time this year !!!
Bring it on !!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I hope my baby lettuce will not suffer ...

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm ready. I keep checking my desktop Weather Channel program and it looks like Tuesday will be the coldest, but the forecast keeps changing from 28 - 29 deg to 31 - 32 deg for my location.

Arlington, TX

drthor,
Love the path through your yard. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get too cold for too long. I have no veggies so not much to be ruined by a cold snap in my yard.
C

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from stephanietx :
I'm hoping they're overexaggerting. LOL

My son called from Jackson Hole, WY, (here it is frequently below 0) and said, "I hear y'all are going to have below 30 next week. Are they breaking into TV programming with warnings yet?" ROFL.

Arlington, TX

Not bad for now but I wonder what my Monday morning commute to work will be like.
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

So far, we've had almost 3" of blessed RAIN. Woohoo! They can keep the white stuff north and east of us and I'll be a happy camper.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

NOAA lists Dallas as 100 percent snow today with temperatures dropping as the day goes on.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's actually a rain or snow. Supposed to change over to snow this afternoon. I'm not seeing any flurries yet, thank goodness!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Fort+Worth&state=TX&site=FWD&textField1=32.7539&textField2=-97.3362

Arlington, TX

Flurries outside now, light and fluffy. Odd to have snow and still have temps. above freezing but I guess that will change soon.
C

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Far better snow than ice, I'd say.

Arlington, TX

Oh I do agree with that!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

How funny! We're just now getting some flakes, but they're very few and far between. Let's hope it stays that way.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

On the other hand, we are so dry, we'll take our moisture as it comes. Just hate the ice as it takes down the grid but I am prepared.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Stay safe, dry, and warm! Our rain has now turned to snow. Not happy about that!

Arlington, TX

No electricity is never fun but certainly is worse in winter, will keep my fingers crossed you keep power there.
C

Plano, TX

i'm hoping for a snow day-------------of course i am a teacher not a parent
as a parent i think i would want the opposite-LOL
dogs/putunias--pretty funny about

My son called from Jackson Hole, WY, (here it is frequently below 0) and said, "I hear y'all are going to have below 30 next week. Are they breaking into TV programming with warnings yet?" ROFL.

we do get carried away when we get some snow here-that's for sure--
when i first moved here and was subbing i couldn't believe how it snowed a little one day and we took the kids outside to see it--to me (coming from chicago) it didn't even count as snow-more of a very light dusting! but the kids were so excited

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think we get carried away because it's not something we see all the time! Of course, they probably would freak out if they had a string of days with temps over 100, too.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Having huge snowflakes here with some accumulation and we're having a lot of visitors to our feeder today. We can't get anything accomplished because every few minutes we've got to run to the window to see if there's any different birds. LOL. We planted this row of wax myrtles 2 years ago for a privacy hedge without knowing how much the birds would love it. The feeder was a surprise Christmas present last year from a wonderful neightbor family. Then the increase in birds led to more feeders. Then new binoculars. Now we're going to have to get a camera suitable for birding. LOL.

Glenna

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Trying to get a shot that will show how big these flakes are but my shutter isn't fast enough to really capture it. It looks like feathers or cotton balls falling instead of snowflakes !!

Glenna

Arlington, TX

Linda,
I teach too and of course a nice snow day is not something I will turn down!
C

Plano, TX

newton we will have to get that day in later but let's worry about that then!
i think we will get that snow day--
stephanie you are so right about the north getting carried away about 100 degree days! --that gives THEIR weathermen something to get excited about while ours are saying we can expect a good portion of a month to be 100 plus

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

It has been snowing for about 30 minutes and we are up to 1&1/4 in. already.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

We had snow from 12 till 2 but no accumulation.

Arlington, TX

Not even raining now, there goes my snow day...
C

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Lots of rain here in the morning followed from three hours of snow flakes.
Beautiful to watch !! It is all melted already.
I had some snow on top of my row covers. So I just shake the hoop a little and the snow fell down.
I love the fact that the rain went trought my white cover and still protect the plants.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What type of row cover do you use?

Talihina, OK

Snowed up north here in Talihina from noon until 6pm with only a little managing to stick ..It triggured a feeding frenzy in the birds so I went out a scattered feed on yop of the snow so all could get some ..The Cardinals and the collared doves are very aggressive at the feeders and run the smaller birds away..

(Debra) Garland, TX

The rain this morning was wonderful! Then we got a few inches of snow this afternoon. The boss' 17 month old grandson had some fun. :-)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought my plastic cover a few years ago and I am 90% sure that I bought it from Territorial Seed:
Grow Guard 20
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1670/171

My favorite is also this plastic cover that has holes.
I can keep it on the hoop house without the fear to cook my plants. The holes will let hair go through:
Gro-Therm Perforated Transparent Film
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1666/s

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Now they're saying snow near Austin tonight. I can't even move when it gets cold, guess I'll have to stay inside on the couch and read a book, or a seed catalog

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.