WINTER BLAST

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

yes, my vegetables were double covered with the row covers I have been using all those years !!
We were just too many hours below freezing.
I hope Fava Beans may pop up if the weather is nice.
This has NEVER happen to me in the past .... oooohhhhhhh
Spring better come soon @@###%%% !!!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor-thats sad and we all know you worked so hard.

Its supposed to be 70 next week but I don't trust it to stay that way. We have been below freezing almost every AM for the last few weeks, so it doesn't matter how warm it gets during the day if it freezes at night. Grrr... I guess it helps to warm the soil, and my bones.

Yesterday morning I experienced my first "flash freeze" ever. The mist on the windshield froze and I hit ice on the road. This is the first time I have really felt I needed 4 wheel drive and I'm glad I had it. All this at 6:15 AM in my bathrobe with my youngest son in the truck. On the way back home to get the other kid I passed many drivers that were not as fortunate, they were stuck in the ditches. This has got to end sometime right?

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lisa - thankfully it was much warmer in town. We didn't get hit with as much moisture as you did either. It was darn cold just being outside though!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

1lisac, very scary!

drthor, I thought this past freeze was much more bitterly cold that the last. The weatherman didn't seem to think so. But I do! Sorry about your favas....

Arlington, TX

drthor, I feel your pain. I haven't had this much damage since I moved to TX. It is depressing.
C

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

oohhhhhhhh ohhhhh
Thanks y'all

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sad, but it is a reality. We all may be empty handed at the swap, but will still be able to share food and seeds and laugh and hug. Still well worth getting together once again, besides the weather is bound to be so much better!! FYI we are looking at May to make sure it will be warmer.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Even though the temps were not as low this week, the drop in temps was very rapid. That is far worse for plants than a gradual drop. Anything that was stressed was sure to get nuked this time around.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That was a pretty crazy front as it was coming through here. It was moving VERY fast. We had a very thin sheet of ice on everything - squirrels were sliding out of the trees...

My silly elderberry (the one that stayed green all last winter) was out there opening up new leaves today. It's like bizarro berry.

I put a trash can over the red buckeye, which started opening its first flower over the weekend. Too early to tell if that was enough.

Talihina, OK

Bartlesville Oklahoma -27 that is 27 degrees below zero records broken all over the state ,I live in SE Oklahoma and it was not near as bad here ..One friends lives in BV and he said it is awful ..our biggest thing has been the roads we do not have any snow removal equipment and are just at the mercy of the sun and so far that has been good enough ..I think there has only been school 2 days out of the last 2 weeks

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Yup, I'm looking forward to the spring roundup. If for no other reason than to complain about this bitterly cold weather! :-)

Carla

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

By the spring round up we will probably be complaining about the heat. LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

All of my garlic looks like it's freezer burned. :(

Wichita Falls, TX

I'm not even going to go look at my onions -- I planted them a few weeks ago. I can't bear to see them all slimey.

Time to go find more plants. Gardening is such fun! Remind me again, why we do this.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, probably look like the iris blades. I saw where my Easter Lily plants are goners on the tops that had already put out. But like the garlic, I imagine the roots/bulbs etc fared better than the tops.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

This message was edited Feb 11, 2011 11:40 PM

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can leave the house. This is going to be a nice week. I hope it doesnt bring an early spring in some of the plants.

Arlington, TX

Freedom indeed! It's just about warm enough here for me to put on a few layers and head outside to assess damages and do some clean up and I can hardly wait to be outside for more than a few minutes.
C

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Me too, we just came back from O.S.Gray natural area where we planted prairie grasses and wildflowers, it was hard work but it was very nice, now we have a very neat mini prairie.
Josephine.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

This time around was the killer. My cauliflower looked like drthors. What I did was last week when the heads of cauliflower was frozen solid I cut it all and put them straight in freezer. Now I will use them for soup.

I still have carrots, but everything else is hurting even my newly planted onions. Although they look tired they will make good onions later on around June. Same thing happened to my onions last year and I still had a good onion crop.

Oh well, Spring planting time is just around the corner.

Oh I failed to mention my volunteer Laura Bush petunias are about 7" high and as thick as dog hair in an area about 3 x 10 feet. I cover them and they have survived all this cold so far. I never would have thought it.

drthor,

Your covers looked too high for those plants. You should've brought them closer to the plants. They didn't need to be room for growth, just to keep warm. The heat travels upward and fades away with the wind and colder temps.

Cauliflowers can come back for a rendition, (only they may be smaller) like side shoots. ALL brassicas can, as long as the roots are healthy enough, or grew big enough. It's like cut and come back for more later.

~ Robin

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from NatureWalker :
drthor,

Your covers looked too high for those plants. You should've brought them closer to the plants. They didn't need to be room for growth, just to keep warm. The heat travels upward and fades away with the wind and colder temps.

~ Robin

Maybe. Maybe not. With my covers, they were closer to the plants, which it rained first, then froze, then snow, and all that weighted it down on top of the plants and froze so solid and thick that it could not be pulled off after 4 days !!! Some of my plants would have been better off with no cover at all than having one inch of frozen cover with ice pressing down on them for 4 days.

Thank goodness this doesn't happen very often in our area.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Nature Walker ... you are too funny ...
The plants were 2" below the cover before the freeze damage ... now they are flat to the floor.
No reason to wait for the cauliflowers .... they are cooked and mooshy, but I think the Fava Beans may pop up again.

Dogs_N_Petunias ... I think we need to stop saying: "what if ..."
Nothing could have save our plants ... unless maybe a heater out there.

Let's move on. I gave a funeral today and tomorrow I am planting some more radishes and looking for spring.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Arlington, TX

Is that a snap dragon? If so how do they handle the heat of summer?
C

(Debra) Garland, TX

Yes. They don't do well in full sun, but these are shaded after about 12:00. Need more water than I like to use, but I like snapdragons more. :-) I am sorry about all the crop and plant losses. Just wanted to put some surviving green out there to show Spring IS coming soon. LOL

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I am going to wait until the 19th to start cutting/pruning..just in case... as I had that happen once where I started after the "date" & we got a sudden/last freeze! I did take off the frost cloths on the containers I cvered so we'll see if they survived!
I really hope we have seen the last of the cold!

Arlington, TX

I used to grow a lot of annuals, including many different colored snapdragons but that was much further north.
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think Wildseed Farms sells snapdragon seeds that are natives, if I'm not mistaken.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

My pot of snapdragons is looking a little sad, but it appears to have pulled through even though I left it out throughout the cold weather without covering it.

drthor,

LOL, I have Red Cabbage that's come back for the THIRD Time!! (that's 2&1/2 years.) I'm waiting to see if they want to come back this year. But I plan to sow some more for this fall, anyway.

And YES I saw my neighbor put out some Flood Lights near her plants on the ground and cover them with the row covers and plastic garbage bags on top of them - I have to make a detour to see how they made out so far.

She told me they're Hibiscus and other tropicals around her place that she planted just this past fall. She doesn't mess with veggies.

~ Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.