WINTER BLAST

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

We got 4-5" yesterday. I wanted to take photos but couldn't find my camera! Told DH to go out and get some pics with his camera so I could post, but he took videos instead. I wanted to post a photo so badly as the flakes were HUGE! Our newest Corgi decided yesterday that he absolutely LOVES snow. He spent the whole day at the door wanting back out and I spent the rest of the day bringind him back in and towleing him off!

Next few days might bring more, safe driving to you all!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

In Idaho one year, the boys were talking abt Texas snow, other drivers warned em to wait a bit, cuz there was a white out ahead, the boy I heard talking said it did catch him off guard because it literally was a white out. He made the comment abt everything was bigger in Texas he guessed, and I couldn't resist the temptation. "driver, the snow flakes in Texas are SOO big , one flake will cover your whole truck". He laughed and said, welll, almost,

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

stephanietx, now I remember where I bought my row covers (sorry it was 3 years ago ... buy the way they still don't have any holes), here:
http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-5430-row-cover-pt-bonded-1oz-6-x-50.aspx

Last year I used them a lot and they really protected all my vegetables.
75% light - also water go trough

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It is 25 here this morning and this is my third day of being caged, I hate the cold.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from drthor :
stephanietx, now I remember where I bought my row covers (sorry it was 3 years ago ... buy the way they still don't have any holes), here:
http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-5430-row-cover-pt-bonded-1oz-6-x-50.aspx

Last year I used them a lot and they really protected all my vegetables.
75% light - also water go trough

Did you make the PVC framework to support the row covers, or was that something you purchased also? I noticed in one of your photos that the row cover was secured in place with butterfly clips over what looks like PVC. Great idea.

Glenna

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I went to Lowe's and asked very nice if somebody could cut "some" PVC pipes from me ... I think it did cost me $11 for all of those pipes...
The butterfly clips are not really good. I bought them from Territorial Seeds. They will pop out of the PVC pipes in case of high wins, and the raw cover will fly around !!! done that !!
The best are really those office clips. Very strong and easy to go on and off.

(Debra) Garland, TX

drthor, do you mean the metal bulldog clips?

debra

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from drthor :
Yes, I went to Lowe's and asked very nice if somebody could cut "some" PVC pipes from me ... I think it did cost me $11 for all of those pipes...
The butterfly clips are not really good. I bought them from Territorial Seeds. They will pop out of the PVC pipes in case of high wins, and the raw cover will fly around !!! done that !!
The best are really those office clips. Very strong and easy to go on and off.

The black metal office clips are what I call "butterfly" clips.

Another question: What did you put in the ground to stabilize the PVC pipe? I'm thinking of using pieces of metal rebar (like used to reinforce cement) and driving those in the ground and then putting the PVC on that.

Arlington, TX

I was wondering how the pvc was held in place too.
C

Talihina, OK

15 here today that is at the start of my day ,,has warmed up to about 30,so just don't be whining about that measly 25 Josephine ..Well with all the cold it is keeping me busy feeding all of the birds.here is a pic of the Inca Doves ,Kinda my fave

Talihina, OK

Another shot of an Inca

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think we really lucked out. I dont think I got below 24F last night. So far everything looks good. My mini-greenhouse was placed over my Lychee tree. I also put some potted plants in there too. All is well.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Strangely, my cold hardy Avocado decided that last night was the best time to go into bloom.
Bad Avocado! Bad!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 1:53 PM

Arlington, TX

The only plants I have that are in danger are some cacti. They can take the cold but not after being soaked by the rains. I hope I don't find them rotting in the spring...like last year.

C

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

We'll see how my potted orange tree does. It is getting too big for me to want to haul it into the garage, so it was outside last night.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have anything inside my PVC pipes.
I thought of some kind of metal bar ... but couldn't find anything .. or anything cheap, since I have so many PVC pipes.
I just push the PVC pipe in the ground and it stays there.

Talihina, OK

10 up here in the frozen tundra of southeast Oklahoma last night this is the very coldest it has gotten since I moved to Okieville...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This winter blast can leave now. I'm tired of the cold and the gray skies!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Some of my tomato plants are still alive even tho it got to at least 22*. They're doing better then I'm. lol

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

One more day here is San Marcos and it starts to warm up again.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We drove up to Gainesville today. Lots of snow still on the ground and rooftops. Roads were fine, but could still see lots of snow.

Arlington, TX

A few days of cold weather will only make spring more wonderful.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We've had our few. Does that mean spring starts next week?

Arlington, TX

In my own mind at least LOL. It's not far away so keep up the warm thoughts. I had a dream about pulling weeds the other night so I know warm weather is on mind.
C

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

If you have cold hardy fruit trees or berries, this is a blessing. This winter was on pace to give a very low chill requirement. We will get at least 100 chill hours out of this front in the Austin area. You people up in Dallas will probably get more. That is about 1/4 of what is required by many of my fruits. Say hello to lots of spring flowers and healthy fruit crops.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

It is dreary here this morning, but warming up a bit. Our guy who leases the grazing rights to our main pasture has seven calves on the ground so far (of course, two were born during the snow storm). I'm voting for spring and will accept a couple mild cold snaps.

jujubetexas, I have a number of fruit tree wips on order. They asked if I wanted early shipment and I said yes. I'll be learning how to count chill hours next, but right now a few sunny days will go down well. I hope you get all the chill hours you need this year, but after a couple of sunny days first!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The temps are going back up today but now we have three days rain to get through first. I am driving to the big fruit tree sale in Houston tomorrow. Maybe that will brighten my day.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

what fruit sale?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The Urban Harvest fruit tree sale. Last year I think they sold 8000 trees in a few hours. Just Google Urban Harvest and click on their events tab. They only sell trees adapted to South/Central Texas.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have just uncovered my hoop house.
My veggies look good. Broccoli have a few purple leaves, fava beans did great. All my lettuce and other crops are good.
The only one that has damage on the top leaves is the RAT TAIL RADISHES ... Bottom leaves are ok.
So I am realy happy. Now let's hope for some rain and sunshine.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I'll check

edited to add: I thought Urban Harvest sounded familiar... I had promised someone I'd look up a hibiscus hybridizer this spring when I go to Houston area nursery hopping. It's G.A. Bost, who happens to be one of the founders of Urban Harvest! Small world.... Too bad it's going to be rainy this weekend, I'd have been tempted to make a run to Houston. I'll stick to my original spring plan. Let us know what you buy, tho.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2011 12:30 PM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

To anchor my PVC hoop, I purchased one additional length of PVC with a diameter just large enough for the ribs to sit in. Cut this length into 12" pieces and pound them into the ground where you want the hoop, spacing them 12" apart (or just a little closer). Then, just bend your ribs and set them down into the anchors.

If you need to remove the anchors, water the ground around them, then use a pair of pliers to pull them outta the ground -- they come up really easy, but usually with a plug of dirt in them. Just use a broom handle and your garden hose and the plug of dirt will get pushed out!

^^_^^

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I already know. Two type of Kumquat, the low chill Cherry Royal Lee and two of the extremely cold hardy Avocado.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

sounds great...love the citrus

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The citrus will all be on the Trifoliate rootstock which is hardy to below zero. They even have the Grapefruit that is hardy to 15F. I believe it is called Bloomsweet.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

well, drive carefully....

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm, will have to check out that low chill cherry.

So how did it go? What did'ja get?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Persimmons, three Kumquats and two Avocados.
I also got to take a tour of a Jujube orchard outside Houston.
The wife then made me go to a craft store and two estate sales.

This is a picture of her after the sale. The line to get in was over 1/4 mile but it went very fast. The line to check out was much slower.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is just one of the many plant stations.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

More.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.