WINTER BLAST

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Checkout line. This is just part of it. It swung around like a snake through the sale and then all the way through the stadium inside.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It sure looks like a great sale, I am glad you found some good plants.
Josephine.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

What cultivars of avocado did you get? I purchased Pearl and Wilma from Devine Avocados. They are still in pots and looking wonderful. I know you mentioned you were going after some "cold hardy's".

Tonya

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I purchased Wilma and Fantastic. Both are good down to the mid-teens. Is Pearl the new variety that Bill at Devine is offereing? He said he was going to have a new one this year. I know he sells a variety called Opal that is supposedly a little bit hardier than Wilma.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2011 11:34 AM

You know what, you're right. It's Opal, not Pearl! I did get both from Bill and had a great visit with him about avocados, etc. He also showed me the Momma Wilma and Opal trees who both survived the abnormally cold winter we had last year and were looking great. I haven't tasted either one, but might try to get to the Devine Avacodo Festival this summer for some samples! Have to get some more info from Bill about his new one!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I dont want to jinx it but so far we have had a zone 9b winter in San Marcos and 9a at my orchard outside town. We are normally an 8b.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Another winter blast is heading our way. Supposed to have freezing rain mixed with who knows what else tomorrow. BUT, the skies will be sunny after that. Lows in the 20s the next few nights, though.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Zone 9a is 20F-25F so I would be okay if it didnt go below low 20's for the remainder of the year.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, winter has blasted back!! It's currently dropped to 31. I don't even want to think what the wind chill factor is!

Arlington, TX

It will be good for your seeds, if you sowed any LOL It isn't supposed to last so stay warm for now.
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't planted any seeds. I never start my winter sowing until February! LOL

Arlington, TX

Hey I was trying to be positive! I can deal with a day of cold. What do you sow and what do you sow in?
C

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

You guys stay bundled up, I got tired of doing the hootchey scootchey on the road and parked to wave at you all where its still a bit warmer... had to look at El Paso weather to see the sun tho, Kentuck into Ohio is just WORLDS of fun...

You be careful Kittriana.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanx Jo, I have lots of vehicles to be careful around-many never realize all vehicles are not created equal, am having fits getting the pages to load, probably this storm in the Elizabethtown area, was kinda wanting to cruise thru the pages and see if I recognized anything people are slamming into the forums. oh well. I did love being in California last week-the spinach was coming out of the fields in the wee cool hours of the morn when I dropped off 'The Grapevine' south into and out of LA, news on tv sounds like Calif is getting hit with the Santa Annas this week, I know the valley was thick with ground smog...seriously, DG keeps me happy since I cant be at home, I get to see everybodies gardens. Love it, chuckl

Talihina, OK

12 here this morning and just 2 days ago I was happily getting the veggy garden cleaned and even tilled about half of it ..I need a suggestion for a good "english" pea variety that I could plant early..

21 here this morning and we are supposed to go and plant trees at the Johnson creek by the cowboy's stadium, I think I may stay home, we shall see.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope you did stay home Josephine...it is too cold this morning to be out. It is 23 now at 8am. The sun will be coming up and may warm some later....maybe they will put it off for a while today.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

21 this morning here. I checked on my onion starts last night and they look fine so far. I have them under about a foot of grass clippings to keep the frost off. Look like it is going to be really cold here for the rest of the day, but the 10 day forcast says 50's this weekend and for the rest of next week. Guess we'll see. This is about all of the cold I have patience for.

Well we went to the tree planting at Johnson creek, the mayor of Arlington plus some other people from the NFL were there, and many other people came.
It was cold but we were bundled up and it wasn't too bad, so it all worked out well.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I heard about that Josephine.... glad to hear all went well..despite the cold... & here "newton" was saying it's only a day or two...guuuffaawwwwww!!!!!!!! ;0)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I looked for you on the news last night! LOL

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

HAHAHAHA...thanks Steph!!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Potted Calendula from this morning. Survived everything so far. I have hope for the Spring... :-)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Boy!
We are on tap for some nice sunny warm days. I moved some of my early veggie starts outside today. I will probably still cover them at night. I love sitting on my steps with my Chihuahua,Boxer and Shepherd and soaking up the heat.

lee

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Supposed to be in the 60's here today and maybe into the weekend! I was sooooo cold yesterday and I just couldn't seem to warm up. I told DH the cold was making me tired. So glad to see the sunshine today! It really seems to be getting light earlier now. I know we will have more cold in the coming weeks, but I feel like the little shots of warmth is just what the doctor ordered!

jujubetexas, have fun on the warm steps!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Time to pull up the thread again. NWS says San Marcos will be getting low 20's and teens multiple times this week. Houston should see mid 20's. Dallas had one day with a high temp of 29F.

Should start getting bad by Wed.

Get those blankies out.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Terri the cold weather makes me tired too. I'm glad I'm not the only one it is depressing though to get up in the morning and want to go back to bed. Lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We're supposed to have dropping temps and the possibility of freezing rain/sleet/snow mixture on Tuesday. Joy!

Talihina, OK

Right now we are being plagued by grass fires due to the dry warm winter but we have rain/snow in our immediate forecast,tomorrow should bring rain but pretty late in the day....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Low on Tuesday is 16. Wednesday's high 24 with a low of 12. Not much of a warming trend there. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I just planted up the yard with citrus.
Serves me right. I couldnt wait until spring.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, it was spring today...

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from jujubetexas :
This is scheduled for Monday and should be the coldest this year.
Consider yourself warned.

This is what NOAA says:

(Tonight): Overnight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. North northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Monday: Cloudy, with a high near 60. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Monday Night: Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after midnight. Low around 39. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming north. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Tuesday: Rain or freezing rain before noon, then a slight chance of freezing rain and sleet. Temperature falling to around 23 by 5pm. Wind chill values between 6 and 16. Windy, with a north northwest wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Windy, with a north northwest wind between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.

Wednesday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 27. North northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. North wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. North northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 33.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 56.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Terrell&state=TX&site=FWD&lat=32.7328&lon=-96.2919

~ Robin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That quote was from Jan 4th....this is an on going thread. But we are in for some cold weather never the less. But we are used to the nasty cold and icy mess in Fort Worth this time of year....the Stock Show brings it!!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I could really use the rain. Maybe not quite so cold, though. Just planted out nine more fuit trees so having Mother Nature help me with the watering would be nice. We've been having lots of fog in the mornings, but no good rains.

Rains County will be having Eagle Fest next weekend, so that always seems to bring out cold and blustery weather.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Noticed that Dorsett Apple was about to bloom.
UGH.
False spring followed by 15F on Wednesday night.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Maybe our collective, "NOOOOOOOOOO" thoughts and shouts and waving-fists-at-the-sky will keep the really bad stuff to the north of the state line. (Hey, I can DREAM about it, can't I? :-D)

Lee, what do you do heat-wise for your trees on cold nights like Tuesday? Just learning all this new fruit tree stuff. Lights? Smudge pots (does anyone use those anymore?) Or just chalk it up to nature and hope for a better year next year?

Tonya

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The real sensitive ones get a blankie and a light or xmas lights. I also use FreezePruf which gives you a few more degrees protection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.