WINTER BLAST

Arlington, TX

UGH! I weeded and worked on the beds Sunday and now I have to worry about plants freezing.
C

(Debra) Garland, TX

Dragged the containers into the sunroom, covered outside faucets and annuals in the small beds. Don't think they'll make it, but I tried. :-)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, the nice thing about going from 81 to 17 in two days is that, really, what can you do? They freeze or not. It's those marginal 29 degree cold snaps when you wear yourself out thinking doing just one more little thing is going to make the difference.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

I moved most of my pots into the garage and watered everything well. Nothing more I can do for now.

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Sounds like what I'll be doing tomorow. Going from hi 82 - low 61, to hi 40 - low 30 for Wendnesday. Wasn't suppose to freeze this year. Oh well.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I covered my lettuce and put the potted plants back into the sunroom. All I can do now is hope everything survives and pray it does!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

The same here, this is not good for business at super bowl time, I hope a lot of people won't miss out on making some money because of the bad weather conditions.

Arlington, TX

Thunderstorm with intense sleet and winds...not good for the Superbowl or my plants.
C

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

20 and the ground is covered with snow and ice pellets. Looks like it would be very hard not to slip and fall in my yard right now.

G

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

OK it's official, I'm tired of this c**p, I ready to move to Guadalajara. Texans can not drive in this kind of weather.

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Our 2 llamas are staying inside their shelter this morning, which is an indication it isn't good for man or beast out there !!! They usually stay out in all kinds of weather but we've now got 1 wild chill with 19 mph wind and gust to 26 MPH.

I'm ready for some more "global warming."

G

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I'm thinking a nice place right on the equator would be nice.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe it will get a few fleas and mesquitos since it will freeze for several days.
The weatherman was right on last night. about 4am it started sleeting and freezing rain in west Fort Worth, then we heard thunder. This morning we got up to 1-2 inches of snow on top of the ice. It is only 20 degrees now and expected to drop down to 12 or so tonight. Wind is blowing so it feels colder.
One of our dogs was born in March and it is her first snow on the ground, she is really facinated with it. Comical to watch.

(Debra) Garland, TX

My dogs are having fun sliding around the backyard, too. :-) Might have to try getting to the office in a bit to check on the warehouse. Its mostly rough ice here and I happened to bring the company Expedition home, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem driving. Sure would prefer to stay in pajamas and drink coffee!! Thankfully, had time yesterday to bring container plants inside, cover in-ground annuals. Don't think it will do any good, but doesn't hurt to try.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I'm never overjoyed with freezing weather. But I will take the precip. My pasture and tanks really need it! I just planted out nine fruit tree whips, but they are still dormant to I think they will be OK. I've got a wind block up to the west of them (that's always the direction from which the really bad wind come from here). And the fence should help block the wind from the north. That should help I think.

Stay warm you all and try to stay off the roads if you can!

I have two large tarps covering my small potted tender perennials and half a garage full of tender perennials, it is terrible out there, I hope they survive.
My cat Angel is acting depressed because she can't go outside, bless her heart, she is going around moping just like me.
Josephine.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

So happy that work was canceled this a.m. I was not looking forward to driving or even walking in this! (I broke my toe and am wearing a post op shoe)Brrr!
I covered my in ground plants too. Maybe this layer of snow will provide some insulation. I didn't get to cover my bulbine. I am sure that won't make it.
One of my dogs had a great time running around while the other just stood waiting the door to open and let him back in.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Good to see you posting Anna, sorry about your foot. Sometimes things happen to make us slow down and rest. See you in the spring.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't get the email telling us that work was at least delayed. I was sitting on the service road of I-20 & Granbury Rd when I talked to my boss on the phone. He was stuck on Bryant Irvin! LOL He was able to back up into the bank parking lot and make it back on the way home. What's really funny is that he's been in Florida at Disney for the past 2 weeks! What a welcome back! I'm hoping that we're going to be iced in and no work today.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Not much precipitation, but lots of wind here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think that storage unit is supposed to look like that. :) Stay safe!

Stephanie, sorry you had to get out in the mess only to turn back around, I hope you get to stay home today.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It is the Chihuahua that are hardest hit in times like these.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL That poor baby! So cute!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Good Gravy! realbirdlady, is that yours or someone elses?

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

This is my fourth try at typing this post. I kept hitting some key that wiped out what I had written so I finally went to OpenOffice and typed it then did a copy & paste.

The Equator does sound good right about now!

My new Jack Russell pup and my mostly indoor cat didn't want anything to do with stay out and playing outdoors this morning. They know some fierce weather is on its way.

Several days of freezing weather also means I'll have to give my rabbits hot water in open crocks several times a day. We used to have to do this when we had chickens, goats and sheep. Sometimes farming just ain't fun.

I am sure I'll lose some of the garden veggies. I still have chinese cabbage, mustard greens, carrots, cauliflower with small heads, nicely headed cabbage, turnips, radish, and onions. The onions I worry about are the 180 I got from Dixondale in Carrizo Springs and planted about the middle of December. They are only about 10 tall with three or four leaves that are smaller around than a pencil. Guess I'll have to cover these for sure. However Last year's 14 degree freeze only did minor damage to the then newly planted onion plants that did not get covered. The ones that made it, about 80%, produce several 5 onions and the rest were 3-4 inch onions.

Y'all stay warm!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 9:58 AM

Good to hear from you Larry.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The shed is in my yard. It was empty - someone was coming to get it. (We were trying to figure out last weekend how to use a ladder or roller extender or what to reach far enough to repaint the rusty part of the roof. Or just roll the whole thing over...)

We've got a lot of limbs down all over the neighborhood, but I think there must have been some crazy wind burst through my yard. One whole segment of the wood privacy fence blew out, too.

The other half of my household is from a rural part of Cuba. Part of the standard hurricane prep there is to take the galvanized roofs off the sheds and store them in some solid municipal building, because if those things fly off in the wind they can take someone's head off. So we totally know better, but just didn't think about that kind of high wind with the front that came through this morning. Fortunately the shed at least stayed bolted together, or it could have been a real hazard.

I dunno... I'm feeling real optimistic about the plants right now. (Except the garden - peas are goners.) They've had enough winter to figure out how to be dormant, so I'm thinking they're prepared to wait these few days out.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I too have had enough of this cold!! I am from the great white north too...but I didn't come to Texas to have it follow me!!!!!! hahaha
I stay indoors until it passes as I know how bad the Texas drivers can be!!!!! Why don't they stay at home?? My neighbor drives a small car & she headed out to work so I hope she made it!!!!

I am trying to stay warm but with that wind it seems to just whip through the walls!!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I brought in some wood for the fireplace last night. As soon as I get home from work I'll be lighting that fire and wrapping up in the rocking chair next to the fireplace! #1 son went to Half Price Books last week and dropped off some mysteries. I may be wayyyyy too cold right now (this office is so drafty), but I know I'll be cozy tonight! The oven will be going too as I have roast pork ready to pop in the oven, too!

I have lentil and vegetable soup cooking right now, it smells great and keeps you warm. I love soups, especially in winter.

Arlington, TX

I didn't cover anything and never really do. I have no seedlings to bring in and as I sit here I am sort of glad about that. I figure if my plants survived last winter they will do so in this mess. I am wondering about one plant, desert beard tongue which has been green all winter and growing. I hope that one lives as I really want to see what its flowers look like. I planted quite a few new perenials last fall and we will see which are the hardiest.
My dog is big and hairy, even has hair between his feet pads and he wouldn't stay out more than a minute LOL.
Cheryl

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL, what penials did you plant, Cheryl?

Arlington, TX

Some different agastache, penstemon and others. Not natives though, sadly.
C

Well my cat decided to quit moping and take a good nap. I love her sooo much!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Depends on the agastache, but I grew a couple of diferent ones up in Illinois and had good luck with return. I did not grow penstemon, so I don't know. Good luck!

And, Josephine, that is a gorgeous cat!

Thank you Terri, besides being beautiful she has a great personality and very endearing habits, I guess you can tell she owns us.

Arlington, TX

Thats a comfy way to spend a day like this, cats know how to live.
C

Arlington, TX

Plants I put in this fall: Agastache rupris and apricot sprite
Penstemon pseudospectabilis, some little penstemon whose name escapes me now
Centranthus rubra
Chocolate flower
a few varieties of day lilies
All were small plants and I put in 5 or so of most of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for their roots.
C

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

My trash can is frozen shut, along with the chicken coop!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.