WINTER BLAST

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I bet they make it, did you mulch them?

Arlington, TX

Poor chickens! Hope they have good shelter in that coop.
C

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The big difference between this cold front and the one last year will be the high temps. Last year it was really only a two day event and the highs still popped up into the high 30's/low 40's. In addition, the winds are much worse this year. Even if the temps dont drop as low this year, it will be much more harmful.
On that cheery note, everyone enjoy a little winter fun. Maybe snow later this week.

Funny note, I planted a bunch of baby citrus this winter. I dug them all up and put them in pots last night at 11pm. My citrus made it last year but it took all summer to recover. I bet my neighbors think I am crazy.

I have a nice Lemon tree that was hit hard last year. My mother-in-law let me know I better not let it die this year cause she wants Lemons. It is currently covered with tarps and has a 100 watt underneath.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Grew Centranthus up north, should be OK if mulched. Grew lots of daylilies too. Are they all mulched? Those smaller plants can be tough little devils, especially if snow cover or ice cover is involved.

Arlington, TX

Not much Josephine but I think they might be ok. rupris and chocolate flower are native and probably will be ok.

Arlington, TX

It was very cold here last winter and more than 2 days.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Hay bales, great winter wind blocks! That's what I was doing last night!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

C-Yes the chickens are fine. They don't know how lucky they are stuck in the coop, completely protected from the elements.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

My daughter keeps bugging me to take her outside. I'd rather just stay inside where it is warm. Sigh.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Because of the cold I brought in my tomato seedlings I seeded two weeks ago. Just in time I looked over to see Miss Pretty moving in. I really can't say much since this is her house. :)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Take her out. She wont want to stay out. Problem solved. : )

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

NO WORK for me today!! Woohoo!!

She sure is pretty Larry, I love cats.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's hysterical, Larry! Love it!

Frostweed, your girl is adorable! So glad she settled in for a nap.

Wichita Falls, TX

I guess I'm farther north than all of you -- we awoke to snow! Lots of it! And the wind is horrific -- now it is snowing sideways! Also have a layer of ice under all that snow.

Supposingly the city people have been preparing for this all week, after last year's snow and ice troubles. When my hubby went to work this morning, he said the roads were empty -- I think everyone learned from last year. (There were more cars in ditches than on the road.)

It is now 2 PM and 22 degrees, At 7 or 8 this am, it was 9. Beginning to be thankful I haven't finished constructing my new greenhouse. . .would of been impossible to keep things warm these days.

Fireplace needs some wood and soup needs to be started, so. . . Enjoy this taste of winter, seems we get to experience real winters on occasion. jAnd I was so ready for spring -- I do believe we are spoiled!

Arlington, TX

Soup is an excellent idea today.
C

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

I just got in from covering veggies and dripping faucets.

Right now it's left over pizza, but for later on this evening there is a big pot of fresh cabbage from the garden boiled with lots and lots of the boneless ham hocks you get from HEB.

Josephine, your kitty is a love. I have one of her kind that lives at the barn with four others, all different colors and all fixed.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Love those pictures of the Chihuahua . Jujube, I can only imagine what your neighbours think of you digging in your yard!

Josephine.I see you posted on another thread a picture of your wildscape slope today! Did that walk outside cure you of cabin fever?Love the picture of your cat ,I had a nice nap too! What is your kitty's name. Something botanical?
I am making a vegetarian lasagna. It is a new recipe that I am testing out before I make some for a co worker. So far it smells great!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Now it is winter time, chuckl, I figured you guys would be scrambling to cover the crops, hang in there, am up in Virginia, Winchester, can only stay a minute to check my best route into Chicago, hehehe, may see you guys if there is wifi where I hit the ice storm, my little brother says 4" of ice on the Dallas ramps before daylite, hang on tuff!!!

Anna, vegetarian lasagna sounds great, I love lasagna.
I went outside but it was too cold and too slippery so it wasn't fun at all, I had to be very careful.

My cat's name is Angel, but I didn't name her, she decided to come and live with us 7 years ago. Her owners lived 8 houses down our street and had another cat and a dog come to stay with them and she just wouldn't have it. So she left home and went looking for a home with no competition from other animals and of course we were it. She just wouldn't leave the yard and begged at our door, and every time we stepped outside she through herself at our feet.
We felt bad for her owners who had adopted her from the shelter a few years prior, but she wouldn't go back to them, so they gave us her papers and she has been with us ever since.
We love her dearly, but she will not tolerate other animals in the house, she is the Queen and that's all there is to it.
Josephine.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I have n -sulate cloth on all my younger fruit trees.It looks like ghosts all over the yard. My Key Lime was just beginning to recover from last year with a few blooms last week. Weather man just came on and said we were getting a hard freeze for the next 3 /4 days - that hardly ever happens around here. My older trees are just going to have to rough it. Right now it is partly cloudy but the wind is 30-35. Just came in from picking mandarins from my tree that was loaded. Don't want to take a chance on having them freeeze. Now I need to pick my ruby reds. Two trees are full of them. Cooked a pot of chili for dinner and was really good especially after coming in from covering everything. Gonna have it for supper too.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Chili sounds great as does soup.
What a cute story about Angel. Now I see that she rules the house!

(Debra) Garland, TX

The ice is melted off the windshield and my street is all dry now, but Garland Avenue is two houses away and will be slicker 'n okra gumbo in the morning. My sister's central heat went out awhile back and the service man was supposed to be there at 9:00 this morning. That didn't happen, not that we wanted him to try today. She has space heaters, the oven on, and the clothes dryer running (which is in the kitchen). Says the house is warm enough.

Chicken tomato soup with cheese toast. :-)

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, current weather prediction is a high of 20 tomorrow and 23 on Thursday. Not good. I wonder what will bite the dust.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine, you're an angel for taking that kitty in when she needed a home and her owners were smart to work out something for her. She's obviously flourished under your care.

My spaghetti is going and the house is smelling great!

Tonight's low is supposed to be 10. That's a bit too cold for this Texan!

Yes, it is too cold in the garage even with a small heater, we shall see what happens. They said down to 8 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Stephanie, we felt so bad for her owners and we carried her back many times, but as soon as we approached their house she started growling and no way she would stay there.
The poor baby had been sleeping on our compost pile to keep warm, so she made it very clear what she wanted.
Her former parents have remained our friends, even after they moved, and come by to visit her once in a while, so it has been a good thing all around.
Josephine.

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh frostweed,that is such a sweet thing you did. She is a beautiful cat. I have a cat that that took up house keeping on my front porch one year. Made herself right at home. Took her and got shots and spayed. Neighbor called one day and asked if I had seen a black and white kitty. Well,yes and I just spent 240 dollars. LOL She is a very happy cat living in my house and neighbor was glad I took her in as she had kinda had her dumped on her. I also have a horse and donkey that showed up here one day years ago. I would call the owners and they would come and get them. After about the sixth time they returned to my place,I asked them if they needed a new home. Yep,I have some fine pasture kids to hang with my old mare and goat. My husband supports me and I work part time to feed and care for the critters. Horses have blankets on and heat lamps for old goat with plenty of hay.First time I have ever seen them stay in the barn all day. This wind is brutal! So how far are you from The Super Bowl? Bet it gets a little crazy for sure. Well stay warm and think Spring!

Arlington, TX

I let them all fend for themselves but I think some will not make it. That just means more room for new plants...oh well
C

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess you could say you were chosen to be her people. That's so sweet!

Weed, sounds like you're running an orphanage! LOL How sweet of you to take in those animals. You stay warm, too. Maybe you'll come to the round up in Arlington in the spring, if spring ever gets here!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Ouch ... it is cold here. i can feel the cold air coming trought the electric socket in the wall.
I did cover my veggie garden yesterday very well.
The wind moved one set of pvc pipes and half of my cauliflowers are expose to the bad weather .... ouch ...
I went outside .... try to walk really slow ... I made it in front at the veggies (which is on a slope) ... slided ... hit my bum ... (which is big) and it did cushion me ... run back in the house ....

Arlington, TX

No work for me again tomorrow, too bad I can't work outside. Looks bad and feels worse out there. Thinking the worst for my plants now.
C

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

your garage may be cold, but it blocks the wind from the plants, and the moisture disappears faster... cold sucks moisture away faster than heat, a lite bulb helps, have you rolled things up to the cracks along the doors? In the deep country, they hang blankets along the inside walls to help cut the drafts and chill, Yup, Irving doesn't have the walls insulated for deep cold fronts, I can remember hitting Lowes and Home Depot for socket insulators many a winter. I sympathize drthor, I remember last winter in DeForest, Wis parking halfway thru the first big blizzard, stepping out into 18" of wet snow. I was making several butt angels enroute indoors. Shiver. Just rain here, tomorrow I will attempt to cross the Cumberland Gap in Md. Am wishing you warmer winds guys

Arlington, TX

Yea I made a butt angel myself out there. Ok on the grass but all the side walks are dangerous. I sure hope they are wrong about the temps. tomorrow.
C

Arlington, TX

-13 wind chill tomorrow that is going to be cold

Weedlady, you sure have a tender heart for animals bless you.
We don't live close to the super bowl so we can avoid it if we want to, and I am glad, because it sure is going to be a big mess of traffic.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You cant make them out well but I have these ghostly visions all over my yard. I was robbed of my citrus last year but not this year sir. Heavy blankets and 100 to 150 watt lights. I checked my little greenhouse with a 150 watt and there was a mist in there. No frozen water at all and the temp is around 20F.

Very creative Lee, I hope it works great.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is the sunroom. The bunny was kinda upset when we first put some plants on his cage.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is the mini-greenhouse. It has to be at least 35F in there to have the mist instead of ice on the plastic. I checked the temp and it is definitely 20F outside right now.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 11:30 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.