H. albiflos off its roots!

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

My Haemanthus is completely off its roots! What the heck is going on? Is that Amaryllis borer at work, the work of a lousy winter watering plan? I poked through the soil, which was moist, but there was no mass of roots, just whats in the photo.

How do I treat this now? I could repot in a new pot with new soil, and probably stake up with chopsticks? Thoughts?

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Just let it dry off and, if you're unsure about its current potting medium, put it in new, fast-draining soil. It'll be fine as long as the soil doesn't stay wet for too long.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I wonder if it is a soggy soil problem, but I have also heard of the Amaryllis Borer attacking Haemanthus, I have a local friend that swears that he had it bad in his Hippeastrum collection, decimating the whole collection, but untouched pieces of the bulb can regrow, which is how I got a H. reticulatum var. striatifolium in a pot of Freesia laxa I got from him.

The plant is dry already and it appears to be trying to send down roots, should I let it lay on the surface? Or maybe bury it a bit?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Nah, just bury it down a bit. If you want, once it gets new roots you can give it a systemic insecticide so if there are borers they'll be killed.

Vieques, PR

agree with faeden --go systemic, and don't have soggy soil.

Yardley, PA

Just started sprouting some seeds from the H. albilflos. It is so interesting. The seed is self contained in a pod with water. The little green sprout had started so I just put it in dirt.

Yardley, PA

Looks more like too much water. I agree with lightening up the soil. This plant does great in semi hydroponics so it does like a lot of room at it's roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.