It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Calla Lily sale

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Check out the calla lily sale on the Classifieds! There are some very pretty ones listed!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got a link?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

neat, thanks!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

http://lakesidecallas.com/Growing-guide.htm

AWESOME! Now I will know what my calla will look like when I go to repot it! I thought it was like a tulip bulb, boy was I wrong! LOL!!

Thanks for this thread!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

YW!

love my callas! I leave mine in pots and store them in a root cellar in the same pot. I will have some new ones for this summer thanks to the sale!

Athens, PA

I just love them. I have them all over the place in all different colors during the summer. My sister was at my house last Summer (she lives 12 hours away) and has now caught this addiction of mine.

Thanks for the link - I will definitely order.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

what did you all order?

This is what caught my eye -

Capt Romance
Fire Glow
Garnet Glow
Green Goddess
Rudolph

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! I have garnet glow... would love one of everything, but then thats me!

The budget says no though.. Id have to keep them indoors I guess in the winter? Need to go back and read their instructions to make sure because the one I do have that is what I have dont.. left it in its pot hoping for a show of blooms. It did not bloom last season and got stragly in the leaves. maybe this year mightbe its year?.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I ordered these:

Captain Camaro
Captain Maori
Captain Murano
Captain Romance

(Zone 6a)

I grow mine in pots because we have terrible soil here. I dump out the pots in the fall, dry the bulbs a few days, and store them in paper bags for the winter.

Athens, PA

Susan

Mine did better in pots than the years where I have planted them directly into the ground.

Carolyn

(Zone 6a)

One year I had a bunch of pots in the hot sun next to the driveway, and among them I saw a beautiful tall orange Calla. Most of the pots weren't doing that well, so I went over there to look at it, and it was a bulb that had fallen out of it's pot, was sitting in the driveway, and rooting into the gravel. It was my prettiest flower that year!

lol lol

Athens, PA

I too bring my pots in in the fall and when the soil is dry, I remove it from the bulbs. The bulbs then go into paper lunch bags and are stored at the top of the stairs in my attic with my dahlia tubers.

Isn't it ironic that the one that rooted into the driveway was the nicest one.

Susan - I always plant mine with bone meal. What should I fertilize them with?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im thinking...

Amethest
Firelight
Harvest moon
Intimate ivory
Mint Juep

I wish she had more spotted leaved varieties.

cant make my head up on the blacks....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is another gorwer!

http://www.callalilyshop.pacificcallas.com/allvarieties.htm

I lkie her mixed starter kits, what a good idea!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

now im also thinking from the new grower...

start kits or the variety pak

-----------------
individuals:
jewel of night
picasso
vermeer
flame
crystal blush

Athens, PA

BB-

I have Vermeer, Flame, Crystal Blush and Amethyst. Love them all - you won't be disappointed.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well one day I will order.. right now, the budget is ate. So they are my wish lists!

I wonder if those starter kits come with the bubls labeled or if they are just a growers choice, no label.

Guess that woudl be the thing to ask!

I think Vermeer is my fav of those choices! Such a delicate color!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

The calla lily bulbs for the sale are coming from Pacific Callas through Susan at Lakeside.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Aaaaaaaah!

(Zone 6a)

Pacific Callas has done a co-op with DG for several years, 2 years ago Chris ran one, then last year Starlight (Ella). This year no one mentioned anything so I contacted them and they said they'd be happy to do another.

The great thing about a co-op is that the prices are even cheaper than on the Pacific Callas website, AND we get new varieties like Callista, Orange Beauty, Apricot Beauty, and others that aren't available to the public- Pacific Callas is getting those from family in the Netherlands.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Lakesidecallas, thanks for doing the calla co-op, I got Grape Jelly, Flame and Giant White. Now hope my hubby doesn't see the Pay-pal email, think he'll miss the box of them when they arrive? LOL. Annette

Athens, PA

Annette

I have already deleted my paypal email and precisely for that reason...... let's hope he doesn't see the cc statement for the begonias I have coming!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Carolyn22, we get emails on too many devices for me to delete mine, good move on your part though. I'm also gonna have to fess up about the daylilies I'm planning on ordering. When he tells me to stop buying plants, my response is stop buying clubs and stop playing golf!!!! ;0))

Athens, PA

Cem -

if he is out playing golf - he won't know what you are ordering..... ^_^

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

You are SO right.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Just need to tell him, well if your gonna keep argueing, Im just picking out the flowers you would buy me when ya apologize.. or do you prefer chocolate.. that al solve it! She who hath the biggest plant-tation wins!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Flowers over chocolate any day!!! Didn't even want to go on vacation fearing that I'd miss the Spring bulbs blooming. You know you're a plant-a-holic when.......LOL

(Zone 6a)

LOL!! So funny!

I'm the same, I used to run home from work at lunch to intercept boxes and hide them.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm always the first to the front door when we get home to get to the packages. Occasionally I can sneak a delivery or two by. It's bad when my son tells me I'm spending his college money:-) Let's hope he can get a scholarship. (Just kidding)

(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Athens, PA

Cem

you never know..... my daughter was able to cover half her tuition with scholarships and grants.....

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Carolyn22, I'm keeping hope alive for that scholarship. :-) I have to find a way to fund my plant addiction.

Athens, PA

Cem

I am with you on that!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like we all need to go to PA. And I dont mean pensylvannia...

Been seeing ads on the internet for grants for school.. wonder if that means we can all get a Masters in gardening?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Will be taking the Master Gardener classes this fall! So excited about that!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2011 2:14 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

There's another lily co-op in the classifieds. I checked it out and it's nice. It's for Asiatics, Tigers, etc.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cem.... your starting sumthin! LOL!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

already ordered mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images