Wild onion or garlic?

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

I live in the northern tip of Kentucky on a wooded hillside. I'm curious to know if these plants are wild onion or wild garlic, and if so, are they edible?

Here's the first one, lots of thin leaves, small bulbs:

Thumbnail by KyWoods
Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

This one has fewer, broader leaves per clump, larger bulbs.

Thumbnail by KyWoods
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Do both smell like onions or garlic?

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, and taste like it, too...the thin-leaved one is more of a sweet oniony taste, and the other one bit back when I bit into it, lol, kind of spicy hot. I'm thinking the thin-leaved one may be onion and the broader-leaved may be garlic? I didn't eat them, just bit into them to get a taste.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

KY -- they look like Chives to me. there is also "garlic chives" -- i have seeds but not plants yet.
those Chives will have nice purple blooms in the summer. and produce A LOT of seeds.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

They grow wild all over our woods. Funny, but I don't remember seeing blooms...I will pay attention to that this year, lol. Thanks!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I feel sure (number one, thin leaves) they are the wild garlic that most people here know as a lawn weed and often is called wild onions, but the bulb in the ground looks more like a tiny garlic, with cloves that split off when they're big enough. They rarely bloom. Sometimes I'll find a single big stem that makes a top set like Egyptian walking onions. I'm not sure that may even be a different 'wild garlic'
Number two the wider leaves- Could that be ramp(s)? I'm not familiar but have read about them.

I'd try a foraging resource, that oughta cover these seemingly very edible wild things, either because they ARE edible or to warn people they are NOT though they are so onionlike.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the wild Onion i have is the "walking" one.

i guess one of the best ways to 'test it' is to take a lil taste.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

fwiw "wild garlic [vineale] leaves are round and hollow and attach to the lower half of the stem. Wild onion [canadense] leaves are flat, not hollow, and attach at the bulb." (The common names can vary/overlap by region.) Wild chives (schoenoprasum) also round and hollow, but most distinctive by the flowers.

Ramps (tricoccum) have big wide leaves, maybe an inch and a half, so I think you'd know if you had that.

There's a native called crow poison, that in general has longer leaves and fewer flowers, although I wouldn't trust my life to either of those comparisons for a specific plant. It doesn't have the onion/garlic odor, so it sounds like that's not what you have.

Or something non-native, chives that escaped from someone's grocery bag or such.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

You may have to dig it up for a proper ID against a known ID. From what I understand it isn't always possible to ID otherwise.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, that's what I was thinking...if the monsoons ever stop, lol, I plan to dig up some of each and take them to the local extension office. Thanks!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Whether they are Allium tricoccum, cernuum, stellatum, vineale or canadense they are edible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.