The early tulips are coming up

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Hurray for my new tulips that I planted last fall. I actually planted lots of bulbs. Dutch iris and daffs were already up but I planted literally hundreds and hundreds of tulips and have been anxiously watching to see when they start coming up. They hadden't yet but yesterday was mostly sunny and its been around 50 for more than a week and today I see that the early tulips I planted along the left hand side of the front yard are coming up. This is an early mix of tulips I bought from Scheepers.

I also bought lots of new Darwin Tulips but those are not up yet. Still, I am excited about the early tulips. That means the rest will be coming along soon now and I can't wait.

Today I see a bed of the regular tulips starting to come up. Things seem to be changing everyday. Its great to see spring coming along.

(Zone 6a)

I have leaves about 5" tall but no flowers yet. It's nice to see some color out there, though!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Most of my tulips are blooming now, the Ice Cream tulips and Bloomsday mix haven't started yet.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Zone 6a)

I love the orange ones, do you know what those are?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I love those orange ones too! My DH likes anything orange so to get help in the yard, I plant things with orange blooms!

(Zone 6a)

Ha ha ha! Good idea!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry for the late response, vacation's over, back to work today. The orange tulips are Orange Princess, I got them from Van Englen. They're doing very well. Y'all need to get some. Orange is also one of my favorite colors in the garden, stands out well at a distance among other plants. Just ordered some Orange Art and Sphinx Asiatics from the DG classifieds. Can't wait to see them bloom. Annette

Can you see the tulips coming up in this daylily bed? I promise that they are there.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
(Zone 6a)

My Purple Prince are up.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
(Zone 6a)

Inside look at Purple Prince.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm looking for Passionale. Our garden center here planted them year before last and I love the color. Plan to plant it with an orange one or something orange that blooms at the same time.

Debbie

Most of the tulips here broke ground and seem to have caught up growthwise to the early tulips that showed their faces first. I should have a stunning tulip disply as I put in many plantings of them.

Even so, I am walking around planning were I will add more tulips this fall and what types and color combos they should be.

Tulip folliage continues to grow slowly here. It doesn't help that it feels cold again today. Weatherguys said it should warm up this week. I hope so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images