Ben's life has changed!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I rode the colt today!!! First time he has had a person on his back and he did great. He won't be 2 until April so he is not old enough to ride. Just starting to break him in. Longed him for about 5 minutes with the saddle on. Then I got on and DH led him in a 20 meter circle. I got off and petted on him. Then I got back on (without help both times!) and DH led him for another 20 meter circle. 10 minutes all told but it was plenty for the first day.

South Hamilton, MA

Impressive.

Richmond, TX

Exciting!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He has a very nice rack so we are looking forward to seeing what he becomes. He has started getting taller again.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Cool!

Medina, OH

Be careful, Caj!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sure will. I'm a bit wiser in my old age. LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ooooh exciting!!! Glad he is doing so well for you!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We won't be doing any real riding on him for at least another year but I just wanted to get him used to the idea. Tug is next. He turns 3 on June 6 so he is ready for a bit more work. Looking forward to riding him.

South Hamilton, MA

Did you get a measurement on Tug? Curiosity unbound.

Richmond, TX

I've always felt it was a good idea to get on the babies when they are turning two so they accept the discipline before they get older, stronger, and smarter. I don't seriously work them until they are three either.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Iris, no. I still have not measured him. He has done a bit of growing and still seems to be close to Ben's height. I really need to get that done. It won't be a problem as he stands stock still while he is eating. I can just never remember to bring the measuring tape to the barn.

I totally agree about the strength. I always want them to believe I am stronger than they are. :) And we never ride younger than 3 because their knees are not closed up yet and you can cause problems down the road. I do not want to cut quality off the back end of their lives just to get them started a year younger. They mean more to me than that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images