What Can I Do With This?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

At a yard sale today, a lady just GAVE me this light box--for FREE. Her son made for a school project and now they have no use for it.

It's about the size of a door, about 30 or so inches wide and about 6 ft long. It's very heavy. All around the inside border are clear Christmas lights poked thru holes. And the background is a mosaic mirror. It's like a huge shadowbox.

I thought it might be pretty when I have garden parties, but I honestly don't know what I can do with it. I hated to see such a pretty piece of art go unappreciated.

I have a veranda just outside my kitchen and we sometimes eat out there. I thought I might hang it as a light fixture out there. It won't put off a lot of light, but it might be nice and romantic. I really don't have room to use it as a bit table. I'm not sure it would hold up in the weather so I don't think I can use it in the garden. And I can't figure out what I would do with it in the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I hope you can make out its beauty from the picture below. It's currently sitting in my driveway and the big oak tree beside the driveway is reflecting in it. It's just too beautiful not to use somewhere, but where??

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's a closeup so you can see the mosaic mirrored background.

Dahlonega, GA

I have a place for it . Beautiful !

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hands off, Digger!! But I'll let you come and visit it while we enjoy our frozen margaritas on the veranda. :-)

Dahlonega, GA

Stingy. Bet I have to bring the margaritas too . lol

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Nahhhh, I'll be a good sport and furnish the margs too! I might even throw a plant or two, but don't get too greedy! LOL

Dahlonega, GA

How I wish I could .ALL my favorite people except two or three live way too far away .I have Japanese maples out the yazoo. Sold bunches and still loaded .Come on over to Georgia and help yourself . Will have rooted , scented viburnums later in the fall .

Mesilla Park, NM

NancyAnn,
That is a great piece, why don't you get some glass paints in vibrant colors, and paint the glass, then use it as a panel to either divide a room or outdoors in a protected area as a fence, or turn it sideways on it's side and use it to divide that way, you can sit anywhere behind it as a private place to read, etc.. I'd love to find a thing like that.. you can use it indoors too, to hide the computer like a cubicle.

good stuff...

A.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

add legs to it.. make it into a table was my first thought

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I thought about that, raven, but I just don't have the space for a 6-7 ft table.

Antoinette, you could make one of these light boxes. It's really like a giant shadow box. It has glass on the front, but beneath the glass is broken mirror mosaiced beautifully--your kind of craft.

I'm not sure it would hold up outdoors. Someone suggested that I hang it on a wall like a picture window. I could do that on my veranda and use it as mood lighting too. My friends and I love to sit on the veranda and watch the sunset (when the mosquitoes aren't out). It might just add the right amount of light for a tranquil evening. The veranda overlooks the pond in the Serenity garden.

Digger, don't tempt me with GA and those jap maples. You may just find me on your doorstep with margaritas in hand. LOL

Dahlonega, GA

BC , come on .

mulege, Mexico

I, too, would hang it on the veranda wall.

Speaking of mosquitoes, Parks Seed Co. Has a mosquito catcher that is a jar with bait in it. Has anyone tried this?

kb

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, I'm anxious to hear the answer to that question too, KB! The mosquito is our state bird! They're so big you can see their eyelashes!

Mesilla Park, NM

It would make the area you put it in appear twice the size. I had not noticed it was mirror, I thought it was glass, so you would not be able to see through it. I'd put chains on it and hang it on the veranda like others suggested.. you could probably get use of both sides if you painted the back in neat colors if you could.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

It's actually glass AND mirror. It's a box, like a shadow box. Kinda like a medicine cabinet or something. The front of it is clear glass. It's about 5 inches deep. The background is the mosaiced mirror. So you have the glass layer with the mirror about 5" below that. But it's all encased, so there's no door; it doesn't open like a shadow box does. But I'm thinking about modifying it if I figure out something to display inside it.

I'll see if I can get a better picture of it. That oak tree in the front yard reflects in the mirror so you can't even see the pretty mosaic mirror in the box.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

OK, try this. This is how it would hang on a wall if that's what I end up doing. It's actually much prettier than this picture shows.

In the 2 x 6 frame on the front is the clear glass, which you can't really see. Under that is a 2 x 4 frame with tiny holes drilled in it with clear lights poked thru the holes. Behind that is the mosaic mirror background. It covers the whole under-layer, altho it doesnt look like it in the pic. It's really bright and shiny and just glows with all the lights on. Then there's a wood backing behind the mirror. It's pretty neat. The guy spent a lot of money and time to make it. He has way more patience than I have!!

Mesilla Park, NM

I think it is beautiful, I'm trying to think of other ways to display that, but really would look good on the side of a computer like a divider of sorts.. very elegant. I have a light box but it is for cutting and making patterns, nothing like this one though. You could probably even hang it the long way and make a divider that way in the kitchen, there are many possibilities I'm sure.. gosh it is pretty. You know what, it may make a nice headboard in a guest room...

mulege, Mexico

You could also hang it overhead.

kb

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Those are all good ideas. I don't have room in my small house for it, so I'm really thinking I'll use it outside on the veranda, especially after what I got today.

A friend gave me a very nice outdoor bar set--a big bar with ceramic tiles and 5 barstools. I'm thinking the lightbox would be pretty behind the bar. I thought about overhead, but it's so heavy it would kill someone if it fell on them. It would be pretty overhead though. But I think the mosaic mirror would be more noticeable on the wall behind the bar.

Do you think I should paint or stain the wood? If so, what color? It's just raw lumber right now. Maybe I could do that crackle finish on it and make it look old.

Here's the bar. It's iron, a very light mauve marbled or sponged color with beige tiles and greenish tan chairs. It will actually be turned so the back of the bar faces the siding on the house. The siding is were I think I might hang the lightbox.

Mesilla Park, NM

That is great idea, bar area, you could put lots of plants on the bar too, it would look like a jungle.. I'd probably make it a potting bar, lol, since I don't drink (not much anyway..lol) once in awhile I think about it though. But, there are so many things you could do with all that you got there. I saw one place that used stools to hold potted plants as planters. I do think the bar Idea is the best so far.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I don't drink (much) either. But I do host garden parties. So I thought I could use the bar to set out Lemonade and refreshments. I'm having a luncheon for the ladies I work with in June. I'll serve tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. I could set it all on the bar and let people serve themselves.

I'm just so delighted with my free bar, stools and light box. FREE is my favorite color!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I like your last idea, I think your shadow box is really neat.. A crackle finish to match the Iron part of the bar, would look really nice.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't drink but worked in restaurants in my younger days that had bars. Do you know how some of the wine glass holders are above bars? Could you adapt that to act as a light above your bar and have the strips that the wine glass stems slide into?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

If you paint the frame, paint it one of the colors that you have on your house. Your trim color would be a good color for it.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

That's an idea Sheila. I actually have a commercial sized wine glass rack. I'll have to see if there's enough head clearance to do something like that. The ceiling out there isn't very tall. It would look so cute with some margarita glasses hanging from it at parties.

Oh, Juney, that's a great idea too. If I hang it on the wall, it will look like a big picture window. And all my windows are trimmed in burgundy.

Ohhh, y'all are just full of great ideas!! Once I get the bar where I want it, I'll be able to decide what to do with the light box. If there's not enough clearance for it and the wineglass rack on the ceiling, maybe the glass rack on the ceiling and the light box on the wall behind the bar. The bars I've been in always had glass behind the bar so you could check out the hunks behind you without appearing obvious. In this case, the "hunks" will be daylilies and ornamental grasses and other plants.

This is the scene you'd see in the mirror.

Dahlonega, GA

Butter, or the creeps zoning in on you >lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lovely view! Is the frame hindged? If so you could put glass shelves inside...with bold colored bottles (full or empty). Great piece whatever you decide to do with it.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

No, it's not hinged, but perhaps I could make it that way. I love the idea of putting of colored bottles in it. I do have a small bottle collection in my Tuscan kitchen. They're so unique. I love that idea Sheila!!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Ooh, That would be pretty!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Whatever you finally decide to do with it....you better post a picture....LOL!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The "creeps" do zone in on me occasionally, Digger--those creepy mosquitoes we're plagued with. LOL

I'll post pictures, I assure you. I'm really psyched about this project thanks to all of your suggestions. Y'all are GOOOOOOD!! So many creative people in one place. I love it!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I really love the idea of storing colored bottles in the light box. I have some clear bottles that I was going to throw out, but I found instructions for dying the bottles any color I want at:

http://www.ehow.com/print/how_7572219_dye-inside-glass-bottle.html

So now I can keep them. I have some clear decanters I'll dye different colors too if they'll fit in the light box. OOoooh, it will all be so pretty, thanks to you guys!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok....what did you do with it?????

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Nothing yet. I've been busy trying to get all my plants planted before it got hot. Didn't make it; it's going to be 99 tomorrow and I still have lots of plants in pots. LOL

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Well, I don't think any of those ideas will work.....I think you should send it to me.lol
And, your daylilies are out of this world.

Thumbnail by jcoats123
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

LOL. Send it to you. That's so funny!!! LOL

Aren't daylilies beautiful? I can't stop collecting them. I'm out of space and just bought a dozen more.

I love that poppy! I've never seen one like it. It looks like a peony!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Have been following this thread & see a lot of different ideas that would work.
Noticed that the box doesn't open, & that does create a little problem, but since it's made of wood, can be remedied by some-one that knows a little about woodworking.

My idea is, if you can get the box open---use silk vines & flowers, with birds & butterflies, paint the frame with the crackle paint to give it the aged look, & then mount it behind your bar.

I agree with Digger---I have a place for it!

Butterfly---you can't claim the mosquito as your state bird---it was claimed by Florida many years ago---they're big enough to carry you away down here!!! LOL!!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think I'd be purchasing glass paint and doing each section in different colors so to make it a stained glass hanging

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I had thought about putting it behind the bar with colorful bottles in it, like a bottle shadow box. But there's barely room on my patio for the bar and chairs. My patio is just too small! Isn't that how it always goes? No matter how big you build, it's never big enough. LOL

Betty, I love your idea! I could somehow make it some kind of stained glass creation to put in my Serenity garden perhaps. I'll have to think on it. I have a small gazebo out there. Maybe I could make a stained glass roof for it. Hmmmmm....

Camilla, I believe your giant mosquitoes migrated here to Ark. Ours are so big, you can see their eyelashes!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Butterfly,

Rather than go to the expence of glass paint, you can mix your own. Since it's going to be in a weather tight area, you can do more with it than something that is going to be out in the open!

Take a polyurethane, such as MinWax, mix with a little craft paint to get the disired color, & play! If you want more opalesant colors, try mixing with a little pearle white. Can be found in most craft paints. This glaze can be used on so many different glass projects, but if used in an outdoor setting, needs to be sealed.

Made a stained glass lamp for my kitchen by doing this. Couldn't find the insert for my overhead light after it got old & started cracking (one of those old, hard to find sizes), so measured it, bought plexi-glass, cut to fit t, & painted it to look like stained glass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images