What is blooming in Dallas in MARCH/APRIL 2011

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Peony Tree: KAMATA WISTERIA

This message was edited Mar 28, 2011 7:43 AM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

close up of my first Peony tree flower for 2011

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Bearded Iris - EARL OF ESSEX
This iris was recomended by Jimmy Turner (director of the Dallas Arboretum) for being the best rebloomer in the DFW area

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

close-up for Earl of Essex

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Wave Petunia and Sage (Salvia Comunalis)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

First Ranunculus of this year.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Eggplant blossom

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sage - Salvia Comunalis
Fantastic and full of little Hummingbirds

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clematis

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clematis close-up

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Red Sage

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clematis Jackmanii

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Rose Abraham Darby - amazing fragrance

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Rose Arciduke Charles

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Shasta Daisy

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clamatis

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

In this picture you can see both Clematis

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

One of my favorite roses: MUTABILIS
Every flowers is different in color.
Photo doesn't give it justice

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

More Mutalibis rose

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Rose: DUCHER (earthkind)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Toadflax and Violas Jonny Jump Ups

This message was edited Mar 27, 2011 1:36 PM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Still some Daffodils blooming

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Dutch Irises

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Scabiosa

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Crossvine

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Strawberry flowers

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Strawberry fruits

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous!!

Gainesville, TX

your photos, as always, are beautiful.......My curiosity is aroused, how much land or rather how big is your lot for gardening? The
Mutabilis rose is gorgeous, the foilage looks different to me.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My garden is not really big, but just perfect for me.
I think I may have half acre or so ...
I wish I didn't have any grass ... I keep creating new flower beds ...

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You've got some wonderful beauties.Too bad we can't smell some of those roses. I also have Arch Duke Charles. Those blooms are so gorgeous. I will have to remember the Earl and Mutabulis! How big does Salvia Comunalis get? How long does it bloom?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you need to invite a few friends over for a garden tour! LOL! I could learn so much from looking at your masterpiece.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila_FW you are so sweet. I actually I have the Las Colinas Women Garden Club, which I belong to, coming at my house on April 13th. I will give a program on "bulb". I am trying to make the garden beautiful.
Bananna18 Salvia Comunalis doesn't get big. Maybe 12".
I have lots around the yard, mostly close to the kitchen, because I love to cook with this Sage. I am Italian and how main cooking herbs are: rosemary, sage and parsley.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I bet your parsley is visited by the Black Swallowtail, it is their host plant. I plant it, dill, rue, and fennel just for them.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Love the combinations!
Mutalibis has been on my wish list for some time...something else always jumps in my cart when I go to get it. Kick myself for that, when I see photos of it :0)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Gosh, you have roses blooming already! Still only buds here at my house. I think Buttercup will be the first to bloom, maybe. They could have tried to bloom, but I've had non-stop winds for over two weeks now and they might have been blown away. Yesterday was fas less windy but cold--brrrrrr! None of my daisies are even to a point were they have buds yet.

One can grow tree peonies here!?! Oh my! I had them up north but didn't dream that they would grow here as the herbaceous don't do well at all. Cool! Thanks for posting, drthor! DH just heard me squeel out here in my little office. When I told him I can have tree peonies here he just turned around and walked back into his office. Ah well!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila_FW, I have also found caterpillars in my parsley and dill. I cook a lot with them .. so I need to be careful.
Actually this year I bought 1lb of parsley seeds ... yes 1lb !! and trow them around my fountain beds and on the edges of other beds. I have ton of parsley popping everywhere ... I think it is a great ground cover.

Terri_emory, I took a class on growing Peony in DFW from Bob at http://www.nicholson-hardie.com
Nicholson-Hardie Nursery
5060 W. Lovers Lane (West Inwood)
Dallas, TX 75209
(214) 357-4674

They have the best Peonies in DFW area. Call them to find out when their best variety are here (I bet now).
It is NOT worth to buy just the root (unless for Peony trees). Just buy the plant if you can afford it, a root will take 3 years before blooming.
I have lots of Peony varieties, all suggested by Nicholson-Hardie.
Just don't plant them by the front door, because they will turn brown and hugly in the summer ... but when they bloom they are a show-stopper.
I will post more pictures as soon as the other will open.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I have found several gypsy moth caterpillars on my roses of all things. Seems early for those to me--but there they are!

Oh, thank you for the link! Yes, I have grown the tree peonies before and would only buy and existing plant as I don't really have time to fuss with such things. I just loved mine in my northern garden so I'm excited to learn I can grow a few here.

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor quote: Sheila_FW, I have also found caterpillars in my parsley and dill. I cook a lot with them .. so I need to be careful.

Clarification please: do you cook a lot with caterpillars or dill and parsley?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

sorry, my English is very bad. I don't eat caterpillars !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.