What is blooming in Dallas in MARCH/APRIL 2011

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL, caught that too, but knew what you meant to say! Sounds like you are where I need to come if I run out when feeding the cats I bring in! LOL!

Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

drthor, thank you for posting all the beautiful pictures. You have some beauties! I want to learn more about tree peonies. I love that picture of the pink one with the yellow center.

Also love that Abraham Darby rose! I planted a couple of baby bushes of that variety last year. There is a little flower coming on. I'm very glad to see yours looking so great. I was a little worried about how the variety would do in Texas.

I have a garden event in my yard on April 17th. Everything has come out so early this year -- the tulips I expected in April (which is when the same variety bloomed last year) have done their thing and are beginning to fade. I don't think azaleas could stay in bloom for three weeks, could they?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Still more Clematis ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Iris and Roses

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Hot Cocoa Roses ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Clematis and Roses ...

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhh, very pretty! Love the last image.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor: Beautiful! I am sure your garden will be fabulous if your pictures are any indication! I belong to the Colleyville Garden Club which has garden tours of homes in May.Those homeowners work very hard to fill spaces and be rid of weeds. Is that really possible? I am sure your fellow garden friends will be delighted!
NLaw Sometimes you wish you could freezeframe the blooms...instead you have to say "that looked great 2 weeks ago"

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, bananna 18 .... you are right.
Some of my Irises are too early !!! They need to wait for my garden club to see them.
Here is one that normally blooms around April 7th !!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This BEARDED IRIS has a very tall "beard"

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Red Tip Photinia

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Bearded Iris

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Beard close-up

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Pestemon getting ready to bloom

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Amazingly fragrant yellow Bearded Iris

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Rugosa rose

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

cannot get tired of this Hot Cocoa rose

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Huge Bearded Iris

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Coneflower popping out

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Blue Bearded Iris

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oooo! I like that rugosa!

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

My first peony poppy opened today. Never had these before but will always want it in the future. I'm wondering how long the bloom will last when the wind returns.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW, what is the name of this Peony ? I must have it?
How large is the bloom?
Here in DFW we have so much wind normally when Peonies bloom.
I normally cut them and make a bouquet to take inside. The all house will smell so fantastic.
Is it a Peony or a Peony Tree?

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, drthor. Now you're going to make me really display my ignorance!! Because I don't know a thing about peonies. This was seed labeled "peony poppy" shared with me by a DG member a couple of years ago. Poppies have to be planted in the fall here in our area. The first fall (2009) I had another project going and I didn't get the bed ready for planting the seed and was worried maybe the seed would be too old to germinate in fall of 2010. I planted it outdoors 10-10-2010 and I think every little seed sprouted because by November 1st the plants were so thick I had to cut out dozens and dozens of them, which about made me cry. (I used my special little embroidery scissors to do that because I didn't want to hurt the tiny plants next to the one I was taking out. Now, using those would make my embroidery friends cry. LOL.)

I will definitely be saving seed and will share with you.

Glenna

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I forgot to say. The poppy bloom is 5 inches across.

Arlington, TX

I am no expert and definately could be wrong but I have grown many peony and poppy and Glenna's plant looks like an actual poppy, check the leaves to see if I am correct. Once again I am amazed at how beautiful your garden is dr.
C

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought I said it is a poppy. Don't know anything about peonies. Maybe this bloom looks similar to peony and that's why it was named "peony poppy."

Arlington, TX

I saw you IDed it as a poppy but dr. thought it might be a peony. LOL sorry if I misinterpreted the post.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Dogs_N_Petunias, that is a POPPY that looks like a peony ... duuuuhhhh
You got me confused.
I have poppies too ... they are not ready yet ...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Glenna that is a fancy poppy!!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Lovely Poppy Glenna.!!!

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Sheila_FW :
Glenna that is a fancy poppy!!

Yes. I was not expecting that. I knew they were close to opening but when I saw it this morning, I couldn't believe it!!! My mother used to grow poppies but they were never anything like this.

The only problem is they won't last very long and then will leave a big blank space in the bed, so got to figure out some other annual to work in there to take over as these die off. In the future, I will spread them out a little more. Next year, I have got to remember that seed really do germinate (duh!) and not plant so many in one spot!!! I am learning a lot about starting things from seed and not just going to the nursery and buying the plant half grown like I've always done. Surprises are nice but I've got to put a little more thought into planning things.

Gainesville, TX

I have those blooming now too, I hope to save lottsa seed

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Tree Peony bud early this morning

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The bud is all open
Tree Peony Rou Fu Rong

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Tree Peony Rou Fu Rong close-up.
You can see how bees already have come by to get the pollen

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Tree Peony Rou Fu Rong late in the afternoon while is closing

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Strawberries

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.