Prunella grandiflora 'Freedlander Blue'

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

What do you think of this flower? If anyone has grown Prunella, I would appreciate information on this flower. How well does the seed germinate and how easy is it to grow? Here's a pic.
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Prunella-Grandiflora-Freelander-Blue/Shop_Perennial_Flower_Seed

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry Birder17 no clue.
Ann

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's what I learned from my research:
It's common name is called Self Seal donned the name from Medieval Times. The drawback is it has "runner roots". I am afraid of that-don't want something I can't get rid of.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

i have it growing all along my creek bed. it is a beautiful plant and does not seem to spread very quickly. it comes back in the same areas every year but doesnt seem to spread much. as soon as the frost hits it is gone. i am going to try and collect a lot of seeds this year after flowering (hopefully) i do think some consider it invasive.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I grow Prunella vulgaris, the 'real' Self Heal and Prunella grandiflora. Both are spreading slowly and are not invasive.
I winter sowed both without any problem.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I believe this Prunella grandiflora 'Freelander Blue' is a hybrid. The color of the flowers look quite pretty. I see it is hardy in zone 6. I may try to grow some from seed. It may be difficult to grow from seed? I may try to inter-plant with Ceratostigma plumbagnoides. I believe one blooms in the summer, and the other blooms in the fall. Both are hardy for zone 6.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Hybrids might not come true, but even if you get another Prunella grandiflora (one of the parents of the 'Freelander Blue') it's a beautiful plant for the garden. The Prunella indeed blooms in summer and the Ceratostigma plumbaginoides blooms in fall. The last one should be hardy to zone 6a, but I tried those twice and both times they didn't survive the winter here. The Prunella's always survive the winter.
I only winter sowed the Prunella's with great succes. Never tried to sow them indoors or in spring.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have Prunella along my driveway edge. Someone gave me two plants at the Ohio River Valley RU earlier this month and I am forever grateful!

It seems happy and carefree in the part sun space where I planted it. And I have now divided it and placed some in our front garden to bloom along with late spring iris and peonies.

It seems to be a lovely cottage garden kind of plant. And the butterflies like it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Tobasco, I did not grow this plant. I have not forgotten about it. I am just skidish about it having runners.
I did plant some Cerostostigma plumbagnoides in a mostly shaded area between some stepping stones. I hope it comes back next year.
Please keep me posted on the Prunella and let me know if it gets invasive. I still like the plant a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images