Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Washington DC National Cathedral

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a few pictures I took at National Cathedral in Washington DC. My favorite window was the SPace WIndow, with a real moon rock embedded in it. (The pictures are lousy-- so sorry-- my "smart" camera must have been having a dumb day).
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's DS Susan standing next to the tiny organ in the CHildren's CHapel. For comparison, note that Susan is 5 feet tall!
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

All the teeny chairs in the children's chapel had needlepoint kneelers with nature themes.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

This is from the regular collection of the cathedral kneelers, which highlight famous Americans. Can you guess this one even with the bad picture?
It's Walter Reed, who conquered mosquito borne dieseases to permit the completion of the Panama Canal.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Which famous American author is this one? The only thing that's missing is the Telltale Heart!

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another kneeler from the CHildrens Chapel. I wish I'd gotten more/ better pictures. I thought they would have a book on the needlepoint, but not so :-(

If you want to get an idea abt how gorgeous & moving it really is, follow this link:
http://www.nationalcathedral.org/visit/onlineTours.shtml

Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The photos are wonderful Pat! It's neat to see something I will probably never see in person.

I LOVE stained glass. It's so beautiful. I love the way it looks from lit inside and also the way it sparkles in the sunshine.

OH! The needlepoint! How many different ones were there?

Waving at Susan!! Good to see her again.

I'm really so happy for you, that you got to go! I know the weather wasn't great but I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Chele, you should go sometime to see rthe Bishop's Garden. And the gargoyles (I saw your comment on theother thread) are actually more whimsical than scary.
I've seen pictures of the huge Rose Windows before, but never got the impact of them that I did in person, even on a cloudy day. My only problem with the Cathedral was that it was busy & noisy with all the tour groups.Soos & I lit candles for Isabella outside the Children's Chapel, and there was supposed to be a quiet chapel downstairs in the crypt, but even down there it was chatty. I have no problem with jubilation, but I also like a place for silence, & my guess is that it's in small supply at the National Cathedral. Give me a little old church that's been prayed in for a hundred years for that, eh?
Pat

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

those are wonderful pics Pat ! love all the needle point .

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Great pics Pat! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.