NEW Christmas /or WINTER theme block swap PART 2

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

all i can add that SCANT 1/4" is ia b.... No matter how you put it.

And yes the Quilters cachet is not very accruate - but perhaps because it is free???

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Just got home from TN we had a wonderful time, warm weather and family..It just doesn't get any better.
I got my block from Stu, thank you, very pretty, will post tomorrow.
My two cents worth....I haven't measured a single one of my swap blocks and don't intend to. I love them for the expression of friendship they represent.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

This is the block I got from Stu. Love it -thank you so much.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, another great block from Stu! Nice job!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I just love that blue fabric Stu...great job :)

Purrfect center. All blocks are eautiful

I have one more to send. Struggling with color selection.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks. THe light blue was found at a LQS in Atlanta when I was there for a conference at the beginning of March and the dark blue was from an excursion to a LQS that I really like, but can get to only occassionally when I have a weekday off and make it my 'quilt shop exploration day'. I did a stay-cation in mid march while my SO was at the Nationals in Kentucky (I miss not going to their LQS this year).

Mine is the same as Barb's love it Stu, many thanks.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I stopped at the post office today... THANKS Stu! You have been a busy quilter! I got a lovely blue & white block, Stu if you have a picture of the block could you post it? Husband is out of town again & I'm technoZERO.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

This is Pat's block. It started out to be my first attempt at a Basket Weave pattern. I allowed extra size of the pieces to allow for a 1/4 in seam instead of the scant 1/4 called for. The pattern called for two sets of three-strip blocks, alternating light/dark/light and dark/light/dark. I obviously calculated wrong as they didn't fit on the perpendicular placements. I think I saved the block by placing them alternating end-to-end. Not quite the intended block, but foiled by a scant 1/4 AGAIN..........

Thumbnail by FLStu

Stu, that scant quarter inch gets me every time. I think the pattern needs to call for a quarter inch or an eighth inch in the first place. No two people are going to call the same amount "scant".

That "scant" is a nightmare.

This block looks so simple and actually quite hard to get all those corners exactly right.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL..... what I found even harder Helene was getting the seams not to sew down going opposite directions in the corners of the segments. I think that I had only two that had segment ends sewn to opposing sides so I count that as an accomplishment. I think that I've figured out how to avoid that happening, though some do slip through at times. Doing these blocks were good practice for that.

Stu, I love those colors, and that pattern! Nice job! I usually cut my pieces a bit larger than what the pattern calls for. Even though I have a 1/4 inch foot, it still is not accurate.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Stu, wonderful job on that basket weave block. I think that block would have driven me to insanity...so many seams to match up!!!
I am lucky if can match up 2 right away without ripping it open over and over...lol

Lexington Park, MD

I received my block from Mittsy. Thank you.

Thumbnail by housse301
Victoria Harbour, ON

Helene, your block is now travelling south to you...

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I had sent everyone's blocks out at the same time, so if you haven't gotten yours, please let me know..... Betty, I know that yours may take a little extra time, but I would think that it is already somewhere across the border by now.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I'll check sweetie..

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Stu, that is a STUpendous block LOL seriously ...it is fantastic....you are doing very good....see you had nothing to be worried about half the purpose of a swap is to get you to try new things!!!! other half ...is to have fun with friends, and end up with some great blocks!!!!

very glad you finally decided to join us!!!

OMG OMG Betty you are a marvel in workmanship and color selection. Such an eye!!!

Thank you, thank you so much.Love Love the embroidered center. Where did you get the design. What kind of embroidery machine do you have.? May I ask? Helene

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Look at the equal strength of the blocks received so far. MAN - beautiful or what???!!!

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Victoria Harbour, ON

Gee they match well and lordy didn't take long to get to you..I've been almost tied to the bed these past weeks, did try on Saturday to work on another, actually similar in design/color and the inside square a poinsettia, would you know it, 1/4 " short ..keep this up and I'll have a 12" block collection to play with

Am glad you like it..was trying to use up scraps

inspirational for scraps

Lexington Park, MD

What a beautiful collection you have there Helene.

Very pretty! Love that embroidery work!

yes beautiful, I am so glad I am participating

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Betty.......... very impressive block.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Ladybug NH (Gloria) I need your address, it is not in the address exchange. You can e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Where have you been Janice...been missing you!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

My kids are on my mind right now. Two are having their houses foreclosed and I am helping them find other housing. I have offered to supplement the money they have to put down to buy lower cost housing. One has had good luck and found a fixer upper at a good price. The other has not been so lucky. In addition the other two kids are facing divorces. Both after almost twenty years of marriage, although the last ten have been very bad for one. This will be their second divorce and at age 50+ they should be looking forward to the time when they can spend with a partner for some together time. They are both wonderful kids and I think their spouses are being very stupid and selfish but that may be just that I am their Mom. My son's wife will be taking everything she can get including the gold in his teeth although she has failed to be a wife in any way for the past ten years. My daughter's husband has no conception of money and so doesn't have any so she will be back to go with a son just ready to go into college. I don't care how old they get, they are still your kids and you worry.

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG, Janice, you sure don't need this stress and yes, regardless of the age they are still your babes...hard getting back on top of things at that age, sorry to hear you've such hurdles in your life..have been wondering about you, Stacey and Jonathan..

difficult watching them go through these struggles, about 10 years ago my younges Jeff divorces, pays $1,800 a month for his 2 kids, thank goodness the $1,000 for DIL stopped when she remarried but on the better side, she sure has done a wonderful job raising them and Jeff said he doesn't regret the $$$..funny thing is, they are now the greatest friends..makes life easier for sure..be about another 5 years..will go quickly I'm sure..by that time his mom will need to put in a nursing home and the paying will start all over again! lol

Oh Geee Janice. Now after you moved and hopefully settled in to some sort of routine (which I am struggling with). You have all this to face. I am so sorry about this and wish I could help in some way....Yes they are still your kids. My Mom used to say "the older they get the bigger the worry".True. Helene

This message was edited Apr 21, 2011 11:57 AM

So sorry Janice, my heart aches for you. You never stop worrying about them no matter the age.
My oldest divorced and it was a horrid time for me as his ex took the kids to TN. In the end it has worked out ok, both re-married and kids had great step parents on both sides. More grands were added by both. My former DIL considers herself my daughter and I do too. Now all get along and can share important events and grand kids.
I do hope things will work out for you children. In the end, that's all we can do.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Siliolegma, that's exactly the way I am with DIL..infact at Christmas when Santa came to my house her child with new hubby got boxes almost same as the others...makes life a whole lot easier right!

You are so very right Betty, I could have never gone to visit with gifts for just 2 when there were 3. Besides Em has loved me from the get-go and I feel the same for her. She had words with another relative who dared to tell her I wasn't her "real" grandma. She even asked my son.(dad to her sibs) if she could have her graduation party at his house and of course he told her yes. My parents gave her the same in their wills as they gave the rest of the grands. There's not a person in our family who considers her anything but ours.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That sure is heartwarming..not the childrens' fault that adults just can't make a go of it..kudos to you all..

Been fabric shopping, ever purchase fabric that you don't want to cut into because it just too pretty??

They all are so much happier now. No one has a reason to fuss.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Amazing what makes people happy! Smiling to myself, simple life for me, long weekend ahead, stash of material,patterns at hand, 7:39pm, already ate, had my bath, magazines by me side, in my nighty and ready for 3 days of play..can life get any better than that I ask you?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh Betty, I have SERIOUS life envy for you right now! I'm facing another tough 8+ hours of work and 5 extra people for the weekend (that I didn't invite, but thats different story) and I still need to clean enough that I don't die of embarrassment! EEeeeeeee

My mother told me she heard that "A mother is ONLY as happy as her UNhappiest child" and that is frequently true.

I divorced after 28 LONG years, almost 50 YO and went back to school, remarried and life has been sooooo much happier. I'm glad I was able to do that for MYSELF and for my MOTHER. It was very painful for her to see unhappy and poorly treated. I'm glad she lived long enough to see me happily remarried to a good man who treats me like a Queen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.