Tulip Excitement

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Hey, hurray. I see tulip bloom heads starting to come up in my tulips around the some parts of the garden. Mostly you have to stand over them and look straight down to see them so they are not up tall yet. But it's a sign of things to come. I planted so many tulips last fall that I am really ready to see them bloom.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Post some pics as soon as they begin to open Rita! Here are a few "Sun Power" tulips I had in my urns last year.

OOOPS. The correct name of this tulip is "Monte Carlo".

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 3:58 PM

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

The yellow really looks nice against the purple planted together like that.

I did a quick trip around the garden afew minutes ago between the raindrops. The first of my early tulips out in front is almost ready to open. Its going to be a purple one.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Last fall I bought a couple of varieties of tulips to plant along my fence, then decided against disturbing the bulbs that were already in place. Instead, I planted them along the edge of the bed where I bury the pots of bulbs I force to go in the urns around my garden. The orange/red variety is blooming earlier than the double yellow I planted with them - foiled again!

They still are very pretty. My tulips have not changed any since yesterday. Its cool and damp as it rained all day yesterday and poured overnight.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

We've had several days of hot weather (I'd call it 'unseasonably hot', but it seems like we have a few days in the upper 80's every year in mid-April, only to cool back down to the 'seasonal' days of 50's and 60's with nights in the 30's or 40's), which makes the bulbs bloom quickly and shortens their bloom period. I'm hopeful the hot days are over and we'll get some cool rain in the next few days (but not on the weekend - I want to work in the garden on the weekend!). This gardener never seems to be satisfied.

That is why I tried early tulips this year as well as the more common Darwin types. I figgure the early tulips might last longer with the cooler weather.

Those early tulips are so near ready to pop out. I can see what color many of the blooms will be. I still have only the one purple open but it will soon have company. I like the fact that I will have lots of different colors.

Today I see that my early tulips that I have way out in front there on the left side of the front yard are really starting to open. It needs afew more days before I can take a picture as there do need to be more open but the effect is really lovely. They are planted directly behind the two rows of daylilies going accross the front and some in between.

The effect is going to be all the bright colors in front of the two tiers of daffs in shades of yellow and orange that are thickly planted and putting on the show. The tulips just make it all come together.

These are early single tulips I bought from Scheepers. I bought the mixed colors. Anyway, I never had early tulips before, I didn't realise they are smaller and shorter than the more common type. But they look good there in that spot.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Each new variety you try is an experiment - you've got the bug, Rita. You're hooked on bulbs! Here's a row of 25 "Orange Bouquet" and 25 "Sun Power" tulips I ordered to put beside my fence, but decided to not disturb the bulbs that were there, so I planted them in a row by themselves.

Well, you have the tulip bug too LOL :-)) Actually I am sitting here at my computer trying to figgure out which tulips I will order from Brent and Beckies this fall. I am picking out and writing down some must haves and figguring out placements in the garden.

Nice tulip blooms you have there.

Those front yard early tulips are finially starting to really open.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

This is gorgeous, Rita!

I especially love the fuscia in the foreground.

I bought the Early Tulips mix at Scheepers. I didn't even see they had any of the bright light purple listed in the mix but mine has plenty of that color. I planted so many in that section along there but as I see now, I need even more to get the total effect I want (although it looks pretty good as it is). Anyway, I have already decided that I will get 200 more of those early tulips this fall and add them in there.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

They are beautiful. I know what you mean, though. No matter how many you plant, you still want MORE! I have bought from Scheepers in the past - their bulbs are excellent quality. I buy most of mine from VanBourgondien - they have a wholesale program for large purchases and mine usually hit that category (LOL). I also buy for a 'tribute' I plant for a friend who died (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050199/), so the total is usually fairly large.

Just those early tulips have started to open here. The regular tulips are not showing color on the buds as yet.

I never tried the early tulips before so wasn't sure how early was early.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Your later tulips will make a beautiful border, Rita! I'm never clear as to what defines 'early' and what is late season.

Well, they were listed at Scheepers in the single early tulip catagory. I think of regular season as Darwin types.

And more tulips getting ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

They should be spectacular by this weekend, Rita! What is the variety? I really like your bands of tulips.

I don't know as I bought three batches of hundreds and planted them all together like that in certain spots. So I have those and I have another run in the backyard (not as ready to open) and I have another further in the front yard. I didn't mark which was which because I would know as soon as they opened and I figgured I would remember were I put them. Well, I don't remember but the choices are of a Darwin hybrid mix which I think is the other front yard bunch, Gudoshnik which I think is in the back yard and Beauty of Apeldoorn which is what I think it is.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

This looks like it could be "Beauty of Appledorn" - a favorite of mine!

There are afew open today. I will have to take a picture. I know I was going for the three larger groups (well not large compaired to what you plant LOL) of Darwin tulips as I wanted the best chance to come back. I never dig and replant my tulips so I wanted as perennial as possible. From what I have been told the Darwins are the best for that. Plus I planted them deep.

Same tulips

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

They are Beauty of Apledoorn. Some of them are fully open today and they are really pretty.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! This variety is so big and sturdy - a real favorite of mine.

Gosh, my new tulips all look great today. The Darwin Mix in the backyard is open now but it had been taking its sweet time. Those early tulips in the very front have been glorious. I just love spring. I guess you can tell that I am just very excited about my tulips this year.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Spring is my favorite season, too. You have every reason to be excited and proud of your daffodils and tulips - they are spectacular!

Yesterday we had rain from 2PM till 4Pm and after that most of the tulips had bent heads. Looked strange. I was hoping they would recover and get themselves upright today and they did. So they look stunning again.

The ones in the front yard were most bothered by the strong rains as they are looking somewhat battered and past peak today. It is probably time for them to start to fade anyway. But still lok glorious and what a stunning spring show they have put on.

Here is how I am assessing the new tulips planted last fall so far.

The early mix in the front yard is absolutely amazing. It started way before any of the other tulips were even thinking of blooming and are still blooming today. Plann to add 200 more this fall to the 200 already there.

I love the mix of colors in the Darwin mix. I thought I was not going to be crazy about them but I absolutely love them. I will add about 50 more to the area.

The Gudoshnik tulips are just lovely and the setting turned out to be prefect. Nothing needs doing there and again I am pleased.

I am most dissapointed in the Beauty of Apeldoorn. I have 100 in a row. While they are still there today, they are dropping pedals and blew very quickly. Quite lovely but the briefest show of all my tulips. Dissapointing.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Your experience with "Beauty of Apeldoorn" is interesting. Different varieties last longer than others - I found that "Maureen" lasted much longer than "Mrs. John Scheepers" in my garden, but even the same variety can last differently, depending upon the weather conditions - a few warm (or even hot) days will shorten the bloom time of any variety.

We had a few warm days two weeks ago, but for the last 10 days, it has been cool and damp here. My bed of mixed Mayflowering tulips has lasted extremely well - it's still looking great.

I alsolutely love that mixed bed. I find mixed colors more interesting an all the same but each looks good.

I do know that hotter weather can shorten the bloom life of the tulips but the Beauty of Apeldoorn got the same garden conditions and temps as the other tulips in my yard. They didn't blow.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Leawood, I too, love that mixed bed!! How gorgeous!! And I love your early tulips Rita! I am definately going to have to put in a bunch of those this fall! Never have tried the early ones either, but after seeing your pictures, I am just going to "have" to plant bunches of those!

I was really very happily surprised at how lovely the early tulips are and how long they last. Still blooming out there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images