The Annual Photo Contest is open. Enter your best images Here

Pictures of some things in April

Ripley, MS

Our last thread is long to start pictures, so I made a new one. I have a few more things than this blooming, like the columbine and a couple of iris, but the wind was blowing so bad to day, I could not capture pictures of those.

I love the spring color of the golden barberry

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Someone, somewhere??? maybe on Face Book, asked what was our very favorite spring blooms? I answered verbena--I know it is an old time flower, and it is considered a weed to some, but my love of it goes back to my Gunny and now my Mamma--3 generations of verbena lovers.
Here is the white, it has been blooming for a couple of weeks now

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Homestead purple

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This is golden oregano

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

The beautiful, but wildly spreading limelight artemisia

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

This is what happens to the wildly spreading artemisia--Ears loves it
I have been pulling him up a handful every day for at least a month now, and still have lots of it. It is beautiful, but will take over an area if you allow it

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Lavender starting to bloom

Now show me some of your things

Thumbnail by slcdms
Olive Branch, MS

Nice pics Sandra. I agree with you on liking verbena's. We dug some up in the middle of the highway a few years ago.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Love your white verbena!! The wind has been blowing really hard here today also. Not a day for taking pictures. I did take some a day or so ago but haven't gotten around to down loading them. My purple homestead verbena is taking over. Marilyn gave me a small piece last year. I think she got hers from Kathy Ann. That little tiny piece is now all over my bed. I pulled out and threw away a bunch several weeks ago. I did pot up a couple of pots and I gave those to my neighbor across the street. I pulled up a bunch more this week end and put it in a bed in our neighborhood park.

Ripley, MS

I am probably going to pull some of that patch up-it is getting on top of the daylily next door to it--I think Terrye needs some, she lost hers.

Booneville, MS

I do! I have just a little Homestead purple left and that's all. Thanks! I love that white.

terrye

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Great pictures Sandra - I love verbena but mine just never seems to thrive. Really love the white one. I have no new pictures to share either - besides I may be over the limit already:)

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra - love that white verbena. Don't think I have ever seen the white before. My pink that you gave me is beginning to bloom, but no sign of the purple that Cindy gave me. Not sure if it is just later coming out or if it didn't make it.....

The golden barberry is pretty..... does it have thorns on it like the red type? I love the look of the red barberry - just don't like dealing with those thorns.

Also, I have been meaning to ask about my oleanders...............do they go dormate in the winters?? Both of mine - the white that CIndy gave me and the pink that my sister gave me - look dead. I have never had one til last summer so I wasn't sure, but I know they were both still green before winter but it got pretty cold so I wasn't sure if they got too cold??? Anyone know?? I was hoping they were just a little slow about coming back out- but then I thought I read sometime that they were evergreen....if that is the case mine are both goners!

Genna

Ripley, MS

The oleanders will not survive here, but not sure about your place, Genna.
The golden barberry has thorns too, I bought it only for the spring color, I just love the color. I am really not a shrub person and living in a mobile home, I don't feel the need for the shrubbery plants I would want if we were in a house. I cut a wild limb once in a while on the barberry, but that is about all I ever do to it.
I have just about lost all of the pink verbena, pulling the zoysia grass out, verbena have tiny roots and is easily pulled from the ground. I have just a few little pieces left of it. I need to relocate it to a place where the zoysia is not as active.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My purple homestead verbena stayed green all winter. Even with the super cold winter we had. It just didn't bloom. Mine is blooming like crazy right now. So Genna my guess is your purple homestead didn't make it. When I made the new bed in the front, I hauled in several truck loads of compost from the city. That whole bed has several inches (the front part probably 8 inches or so) of compost on top of the dirt. I just planted into the compost and boy the plants do like that compost!! I did take some pictures this morning.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That is what I was afraid of....... I haven't had time to get the grass out of the bed the purple is in, so I was hoping to find at least a few sprigs but not sure if there will be any. Sandra I had a LOT of the pink verbena until my sister cleaned my bed last year and dug a bunch of it up so we decided to move it closer to the edge of the bed so it could be seen better and I lost a bunch of it after the transplant, but it looks like it is coming back in several places so hopefully it will settle back in. I will be happy to bring you some of it back if we ever get together again!

Ripley, MS

That is a great plant as it is hardy to -10 degrees. It is just hard to keep grass out of verbena. I have a few sprigs of it and intend to put them somewhere they will not get as much grass in them I hope.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I took a few pictures this week and thought it would be easier to view here than try to upload them all here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.perdue1/AprilFlowers2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCPzLyLu-5qjB9gE#

Ripley, MS

You already have an amaryllis blooming--WOW--beautiful pictures. It is so much easier to work when you see things so pretty all around you !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - those are beautiful pictures Charlotte! Can't believe you have so many things blooming. I have one lone iris bloom, and a couple of roses on one of my knockouts, and one still green ball on my snowball bush..... a few daffs still blooming and that is it !! although I do have a bud on one of my clematis that should be opening any day!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks you all! This is my favorite time of year. The whole back of my house has windows with no covering on them. It's so pretty when the dogwood trees and the azaleas are blooming. The last rain got all the dogwood blooms and the azaleas blooms will be gone in a week or so.

Hey Charlotte I love those pictures - those are some gorgeous clematis what is the name of that blue one? I love it!!! I bet your place is gorgeous there is absolutely nothing prettier than azaleas and dogwoods blooming - it just screams spring in the south!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous pictures Charlotte and that new camera does you proud. Incredible detail. My pictures are not very good because of full sun. I have never been able to adjust my settings to take good full sun pictures. I try to grab the camera when the sun goes behind a cloud but by the time I get set out it pops again. I have a few Iris blooming now.
Genna your verbena is probably dead. I find homestead very finicky about getting off to a start. Once it does it usually is beautiful. I have had large patches of it die for no apparent reason though. I didn't know the white was perennial. Oleanders are a tropical. In you area Genna they need to be mulched well, fertile soil and need a good location where they get some protection from cold and wind.They need regular watering too. . Some are more hardy than others. The red /pink I find can take more cold than my petite peachy colored ones. Those get bit to the ground nearly every year. Most if mulched will return from the root once they are established in my zone and probably yours. Oleander is an evergreen. That is why it gets bit so hard from cold dry wind. I have had mine completely ice over and still not burn like they do from cold dry air.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy I actually took those pictures with the Sony I bought a little over a year ago. I don't know what I did, but I was surprised at how clear the detail was.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I still have three very large beds to get cleaned up. I hope to get this one cleaned up over the weekend but I am going to have my grandson so who knows how much time I will be able to spend out there. This one really took a beating in the flood and I had no time to get to it last year before it got hot. I was going to do away with it and go back to grass but then decided to keep it.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

I am glad you are keeping that bed Cindy, I love the way it looks there, perfect shape for the area.
Cindy, the white verbena that is perennial is hard to find. With the other colors, if it has a white center in the bloom, you know it is an annual. The white, you can't tell, as it is white all over. I will try to get you a piece of it.
Terrye lost all her homestead verbena and she had a huge bank of it.
I think sometimes we lose verbena by over fertilizing it. The tiny hair like roots on verbena can not take in much fertilize.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I forgot what these are but you really have to see them in person. They are really unique and pretty. I have no idea if they will bloom again for me.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

You got allium there Cindy, maybe the shubertii spelling is wrong, but it's a beautiful allium.

Lovely pics sandra, lots of things blooming that aren't blooming here yet, Alas i did pull up all the verbena but a small patch and it croaked last fall. which is ok lol sure is pretty though.

my irises are starting to bloom now.

I'm not keeping up with names this year lol their all tagged but I didn't write the names down when I took the pics.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

another this is a dwarf

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I like this one too

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOOK! My semps are makin babies ha ha

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Here are a couple of things blooming today - this yellow iris has never bloomed before I think it was one in the $1 area at the Saline MG sale last year - I decided to take a chance that they were something other than old fashioned iris and I'm glad I did.

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

another dwarf

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

one more.

got others just on the verge of opening, first time, they didn't bloom last year, I'll be out there with the camera tomorrow after work

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kathy Ann, wow that is a beautiful Iris. I love those colors together.
My picture sucks but I have amaryllis blooming. these were supposed to be yellow amaryllis when I bought them but I didn't have a double red so not to sad it was wrong. My St Josephs are blooming too . I have several different ones sending blooms up. Sandra I have daylilies with scapes up with buds..

Thumbnail by Riverland

Here's my oxalis and there in the background is my rice paper plant I got from you KA. I'm so excited that it is growing like crazy can't wait till it gets really big:)

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I need to go look again for my rice paper plants. I think mine may not have made it. I got some from Kathy Ann and also some really big ones from a friend in Arkadelphia. Karen if yours are up mine should be.

Here's something that was NOT blooming but he is a very lucky guy - usually no snake gets by me without having its head chopped off but I was nowhere near a head chopping utensil so he lived to scare the living daylights out of me another day. EWWWWWW!

Thumbnail by kjuddy
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Karen that is really pretty. I have killed more of those rice plants either too much water then not enough. They just don't like me.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Nasty looking snake!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.