Wetter, not better!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ain't that great that gas is so high. Talk about ruining the economy. If certain politicians really wanted to straighten out the depressed economy, they would do something about energy prices.
How do people buy cars, stoves, furniture & other major items if they have to put all their money in the gas tank.
I remember fall of 2008 when economy went in the tank, gas was $4.29.

We spent way to much on advertising, I'm afraid. Of course new location, you haven't a clue what works in that area. Apparently I went with the wrong radio station & newspaper.
Weather didn't help a bit, either. Cold & rainy in the morning, then cold & windy in afternoon. I guess I wouldn't go out either.
Maybe better today, it is colder!
Bernie
Happy May Day!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry about the advertising money Bernie. I guess that is one of those trial and error things. We had a hard time trying to convince our neighbor to give up on the newspaper and phone books. I don't think many look at phone books anymore. Going into a new area, you really had no way of knowing.

I guess I shouldn't complain so much about the $4.04/gal as some had it at $4.15 Friday! It's really ridiculous. Someone posted that it's .44/gal in Saudi Arabia. I don't know if it is true but good grief! I don't get how it can be $3.75 on one corner and $4.15 at the next corner from the same company and I'm not talking about franchises either! Hubby is actually making less working than he did on unemployment and 1/4 of that is going back to the gas companies. They wonder why people aren't motivated to get off unemployment? Can't afford it!

Speaking of Craig, he has a meeting tomorrow with 2 of his supervisors but doesn't exactly know what it is for. His direct supervisor is part of it and said he doesn't know either. Hmph. I guess he might actually find out something tomorrow.

It's getting harder and harder for everyone to get by. Food keeps getting more expensive and it's cheaper to eat junk than it is fresh so you can look forward to health problems and higher health costs later. Older people's income is not keeping up with inflation and interest on savings isn't paying much. The housing market still isn't in great shape so those that want to downsize can't. Do we really have any choice other than continuing to swim upstream?

Oh well, anyway...LOL The rain came back last night. Nothing major, just rain. It sure was nice to be outside all day yesterday. We also had a visit from a friend that used to live down the road. His wife had several knee surgeries and couldn't work so they ended up losing their house. The bank wouldn't work with them at all and ended up selling it for 1/2 of what they owed. Duh.

Guess I'm going to figure out what trouble I should get into to. My computer was attacked by something late last night so it's down and scanning. I need to drain the water heater and see if I can get it working. Craig is gone until 9:30 tonight.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Gas here went up 4.17 a gallon and no end to increases in site! I'm want to go to Texas in June to see the grandchildren, and I'm try to figure out if it's cheaper to driver or fly. As high as air fare is, I didn't think it would be an issue, but, with gas the price it is, and what it may be in June, It look about even right now. Hard to believe!

I saw where the economists in DC are taking fuel and food out of the inflation figures because it is "normal cyclical increases".?????

Many of the manufacturing business' here and in Columbus, In., are connected with Japanese firms and are down to working either 2 or 3 days a weeks. This is killing the employees, because if they laid them off, at least they would receive unemployent. I worry about the econony now and in the future if politicians don't change some things.

Raining here again, and it looks like it has set in for the day. I'm hesitant to complain about the weather however, after seeing the destruction in Alabama. Those poor familys!

Have slow and easy Sunday everyone. I think I here a nap calling my name. Lou

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy May!

I cut a huge bunch of lilacs this morning and my kitchen smells wonderful! I've been having fun poking around my new yard discovering what was planted here and there. Forsythia, hostas, daffodils and a few tulips. Squills? Not sure, those are new to me. Looks like a rockery of some sort out front, iris in it maybe? I dunno. The magnolia tree was gorgeous!! The storms and the wind shortened it's glory though.

The storms need to stop. My roof leaks! LOL

I have a request. My daughter Jenna is really missing her friends in Iowa, and her dad has not been contacting her at all. Her 12th birthday is May 11. Would anyone be willing to send her a postcard? It's been a rough winter for us and she could sure use a pick me up.

JennaRose Koster
8415 Co Rd 22A
Bloomingdale, OH 43910

It is kinda hard being her mom right now, so maybe this will help.

thanks,
mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So very ticked off at whoever or whatever gave me a computer virus. It took me all flipping afternoon, between other jobs, to get rid of it!

Everything in the greenhouse is doing great. I have new cucumbers, gourds, flowering vines, castor beans and all kinds of other stuff up and growing like gangbusters. It's so nice to have a bunch of those veggies out of the way!

My new trays and 32 cells should be here soon so I can transplant a bunch of other stuff. My baby trees need to be bumped to the next size. It's so nice that the weather is leveling off and I can get more stuff outside. I'm praying and hoping and dreaming that I'm going to have a larger greenhouse for next year or at least the capabilities to put up a larger hoophouse. My greenhouse already doubled in size from years past and I could actually hire one full time person for at least a month or so.

Money is tight but otherwise life is good! It's almost time for the payoff. :)

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Great growing! Sounds like all your hard work will soon be paying off. It is raining cats and dogs here this evening and , it is forecast for more rain tomorrow!

I don't plant many annuals, just for baskets and pots, but I'm soooooo ready to play outside in the dirt. It will probably turn off 90 degrees and stay that way all summer.

I'm glad the virus didn't kill your computer. I got a virus on my last computer, and not knowing what to do about it, I took it to a local computer repair place. They were unable to cure it , so we had to buy a new one. I was pissed off for 6 mos!!! I later learned the repair shop guys were idiots and probably killed it themselves. A hard way to learn about them.

Have a good evening everyone! Lou

Barberton, OH

the pepper germination rate was too good. Now comes the hard part--culling the herd. I just have to be brave as I select the strongest. It's like cutting the heads off my babies.

Thumbnail by salix_man
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Herman, why do you have to decapitate some? Just prick them out and pot them up. They'll do fine. Then you can be sure you have plenty to eat and plenty for seeds.

That stinks Lou. I have so much stuff on my computer, I'd cry if it got messed up. I don't even have many real pictures of the kids since everything is digital now. I do have an external hard drive but even that could go down. Craig was gone all day so I had to figure it out myself. I researched on the lap top and worked on this one. It was a PITA!

We just watched the last two episodes of Make It Or Break It on my computer. Really sucks not having a TV. Ugh. At least they rerun them on the computer.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Morningayle, so sorry to hear that JennaRose is having such a hard time. Grrr, there are several dads that I could easily strangle. They don't realize what damage they do to their offspring, either by carelessness, or calculated to inflict hurt on the ex spouse, but they need a little tweaking of their manhood. Stepping off my soapbox.

I will send her a card, and will recruit my DGD to send one also. That is such a hard age to be, and feel so lonely and left out. Poor child. Send her to me for a little while, and maybe we can put some fun and laughter back in her.

Chele, I should be jealous of your greenhouse, and your hoping for a bigger one next year, and I would be if it was anybody else. For you, I am happy that you are doing so well, and hope that succeeding years will be better. Sorry about your computer. I have come to the conclusion that most "computer experts" are only expert in making matters worse! Sure hope the meeting with the supervisors tomorrow is the awarding of the job. Wouldn't that be nice, like the icing on the cake. Sure will keep you in my t & p's tonight and tomorrow.

Lou, I hear you on the gas, seems like everytime I go out the price has gone up. I know that there is probably some small reason, but the better part of the reason for the higher prices is Just because they can! I don't know what us "average folks" are going to do if the economy doesn't stabilize soon. I sure am glad that my DM is not living to face this. She was barely making it as it was, on her little SS. We owned her house, and the only bills she had was utilities, and so many times, I helped her with those. It just isn't fair that our older folks who worked all their lives, and eeked out a living, without few or any extras are now faced with the prospect of not taking meds that they need, or buying the meds and going without food. It is just not right. Those politicians will surely burn in hell for some of the things they are putting our people through. Stepping down carefully from that soapbox.

I am going through a funk right now. Usually, if I am going to be depressed, it is in the winter time, when things are so cold and horrible outside, the lack of sunshine, etc. can be pinpointed as the reason. You all keep me in your t & p's that this will be a short stint in the black hole. I just hate myself when I feel this way, but not a thing I can do about it. Thank goodness for Mr. B, he at least makes me get out once a day, to take him for his ride. Otherwise, I would just sit and veg.

Barberton, OH

Gas Buddy warned of rising prices. Speculators and a refinery breakdown in IN. Double whammy! I went out and drove 5 miles to get$3.999. Another 5 miles might have saved $.40. That should last me for a couple of weeks.
Chele, some of those little pots have more than 6 plants each. I only have so much room under the light and I'm trying to root some Cornus Mas cuttings. Could try to make some more plants. Have 2 swaps coming up end of the month. Too many people I know have such tender stomachs. I added a tiny amount of MG to the water in the tray today. Thanks for the suggestion.
Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Herman, just put up more lights. LOL You don't have enough lights until helicopters start buzzing your house! At one point, I had 16-18 lights in my basement at my other house and helicopters were always flying over. I'm sure they were scanning the house to see what I was growing. :P

Bonnie, I think it's all the icky weather. We had just enough sunny and warm days through the winter to keep things interesting and give us hope. Now we expect since it's spring that it will be sunny and decent and we can get out a bit and all we have is rain and dreary skies. I'm not motivated to do much at all on days like this! I have plenty of inside jobs to do and just can't get into it. The house is a royal wreck! I'd love to farm out all but the oldest 2-3 kids one day and bust through here cleaning but where do I send 4-5 kids?? shrugs.

Craig just left for work. I guess this meeting could be today or tomorrow. They sure are wishy washy about things there and definitely don't care to leave you hanging. It's quite frustrating but it pales in comparison to all that we've already been through.

I'm trying to figure out if Nolan wants to sleep or go outside. I'm thinking I will force myself to go cut back the grasses. They are starting to grow and they look bad if you wait too long. He'll probably be happy just long enough to get covered in mud then he'll be ready for bed. Ugh.

Guess I best get my booty moving...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I took a shower....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My dentist has his office in the first floor of his house. On the back he has a greenhouse where he grew orchids. He would bring them in and put them all over the office when in bloom. He was raided by police about 15 years ago. The greenhouse had kind of frosty panes on it you could not see through, and he grew from seed and did tissue culture in his basement. They thought he had a grow operation. They let in so much cold air, plants died, and toppled over, broke so much stuff, he gave it all up. Greenhouse is in ruins now, and doesn't even have a houseplant now. So sad.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That is sad and disgusting! Wonder what grounds they had for raiding him? Saw people hobbling in and out drugged? Um, at a dentist office? The number of customers? At a dentist? Good grief. That is very disheartening. I'm sure they had a "tip" or had been watching. Did he get any type of restitution?

Waddy, KY

You smell very nice dear, :-)

I think it's pretty much been raining all night here. We can't get to three of the barns on the other farm unless we hike about a mile in off another road. Thankfully we can wait to go over there. I have no idea how much rain we've gotten. It was raining when I went to bed and it was still raining when I got up. Haven't seen the creeks this high in a while. I'm so sorry for the farmers in MO that are loosing their livlihood due to the Corp of Engineers blowing that levee on the Mississippi. 130,000 acres of farm land out of production and the bad part is these folks had probably forward priced their grain on contract and now they'll have no way to meet the contracts. Plus I bet all their insurance will tell them that the floods to their homes were man made, therefore won't cover their damage. Since the government is causing the flood I wonder if they'll compensate the poor folks.

We went before our Lexington market board last night and got approval to start serving prepared food at the Sunday market. Now I guess we're getting ready to spend money for a food service trailer. I just keep getting in deeper and deeper. And to think this all started with just wanting to sell a few daylilies at the market.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think the high watt lights in his basement and the frosted greenhouse were the reasoning. He also had a huge veggie garden and started lots of plants in his basement. He used to give a lot to his patients. I used to get tomato plants from him, and the orchid my mom has grown for 20 years is one of his seedlings.

I don't think he sought compensation. He was just so sickened by it. He just wanted to forget it all.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Don't blame the cops. Blame the stupid drug heads. They have been ruining buildings all over. Strip copper pipes & wires so they can get drug money. Steal electricity from neighbors house to grow pot. Set up meth labs that require building to be demolished after they are run out. Why do we put up with such crap ?

Janet, if the food wasn't on Sunday, I would volunteer to come help you out. But we do church religiously.

I can tell you how much rain we had from yesterday morning till now, 2.8 inches. My garden is under water, literally water standing in it. (it has a good bit of clay). So guess there goes my Dixon Dale onions, that is the only thing that I will miss, other things can be replanted.

This being inside is getting old, however I am getting lots of things done, that I had put off till a rainy day. Didn't say anything about a rainy 3 or 4 months. Since I have done such a good job getting caught up the only other job I have to do is go up into the attic and straighten that out. My laundry room needs painting, but don't like to paint with the weather this damp. May just try it though and if necessary set a heater in there to help dry it.

Janet, I know that I have asked and asked, but isn't the wedding next weekend? Yikes, that close.

Jules, that is horrible about the dentist. Now out in the country you could expect to see a grow operation, but in town in a professional office? I would have sued for all my damages, and they would have darn well compensated me for it.

Waddy, KY

Bite your tongue Bonnie! Give me a heart attack!!!! No it's the 3rd of June. We're already starting to get a little antsy about flowers blooming out before we want them and getting things done on time. I've already baked a lot of the market breads for that weekend and have them packed away in the freezer so I don't have that to worry about that week. There's some other stuff that has to be looked at so hopefully it will all work out. I do plan to take that week off.

Had a little landslide on Old Lawrenceburg Rd. between the Capitol and the East-West Connector. Awful lot of dirt and trees in the way now and a pretty pick hole in the side of the hill. Not surprising considering how wet it is.....

Oh, hope it didn't get close to Cliffside. That used to be one good place to get a sandwich.

Oh, Wrong month, Okay, maybe I won't have to ask again.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My little greenhouse sits between the barn and a big shed...kinda sandwiched in there. And that was for a good reason...so it didnt blow away!
Last fall...shortly after we put it up...the planes were flying low over us too! I know they were checking it out! But they always fly over our fields anyway..checking them out...and I am glad of that. You never know what someone might sneak in and plant there!
In one area behind my house, I grow a lot of Cleome. Guess you all know those leaves look a lot like marijuana leaves....lol! They always check that out too. I'm surprised they haven't visited in person yet!

Gosh, guess the pretty day today kept everybody outside and working. I did go out and pull some weeds and potted up some of my winter sown plants, but it is still too wet to do much else. WL's are predicting more rain for tomorrow night and into Saturday, so probably won't get a chance to do much outside tomorrow.

I did winter sowing this year, and all were perennials things that I had never had before. Anyway, long story short, my labels faded, and I am left with 3 different plants that I am not able to identify. If anybody has any idea, please help me put a name to these little babies.

This is plant # 1

Thumbnail by defoecat

This is plant # 2

Thumbnail by defoecat

And finally # 3

Thumbnail by defoecat

Did anybody here express a desire for morning glories? Somebody did, and now I can't remember who it was. I have seedlings coming up all over one area. They have become thugs here, and if whoever wanted some would let me know, I will dig up some seedlings and send them some, otherwise, I am going to eradicate them, the nasty little buggers!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

#2 looks like lupines to me.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Could #1 be Baptisia, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, similar?
#2 is definitely Lupines
#3 looks familiar. Tansy? Some type of daisy? I'm thinking.

Columbus, OH

#3, maybe statice or yarrow?

I know I didn't plant any daisies, nor tansy. I do think I planted some Echineacea, so that may be right. I do think # 1 is Lupine.

Thanks friends,

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Could the last one be some type of poppy?

Barberton, OH

I was thinking poppy, too. Did anyone ever grow Prickly Poppy? "Not hardy" here, I kept it for 3 or 4 years. Never set seeds. May have been in a wild flower mix. Aptly named.
Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I had to look that one up Herman! The leaves remind me of milk thistle. Don't think I ever grew that poppy but it looks interesting!

I've grown a little bit of everything. Sometimes I just grow them or start the seed to prove that I can then send them south. LOL

I'm thinking if someone has ever grown whatever that is that Bonnie has, they'll know it on sight. It has pretty unique leaves.

Well, I've not been around too much lately. I've been busting my buns. I still have a lot of bun to bust.

Hope you all are well.

Ps. This site is interesting. http://theseedsite.co.uk/

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Finally heard back about Craig's interview. They aren't hiring him on. He is staying there as a contractor. I'm about to take my grocery money elsewhere. They are getting back almost everything they are paying him and it's not working for me. It only took them 5 weeks to decide. It was supposed to be 1-2 weeks...

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

So Sorry! What a letdown. What a way to run a business. I feel for you all. Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I can't believe they left him hanging for 5 weeks. It was totally rude and unprofessional. They told him other positions would be opening. Had they based their decision on his work, attendance, ethic or anything else and said no, I'd understand it. They based it completely on his interview. His boss warned him before he went in, that they'd try to make him be negative. In the end, they didn't hire him because he wouldn't say anything bad. I give up.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry to here about the job.

Move to MN. Unemployment is only 6%.
SIL's boss is having no luck hiring people. Nobody wants to work, only draw paycheck.

All good people are working here. The rest don't care.
Finished a job today. All cherry. Put in the fireplace mantel. There will be stone below it.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the upper cabinets of the kitchen. Frosted glass in the doors.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Kind of hard to move when you can't save any money. We're still barely getting by. The contract company has a pretty sweet deal though. I guess they get a finder's fee plus part of the wage they aren't paying Craig. grumble grumble Companies make no sense to me at all!

Beautiful work as usual Bernie!

Chele, so sorry to hear that Craig didn't get the job. I swear they tell you they want one thing, and then when you do as you think they want, it isn't the right thing. I know he works with computers, do you think that he could open a little computer repair business on the side and make some money in his spare time? I know what spare time by the time he helps out at home, and running kids everywhere, but it was something that came to me a couple days ago.

Bernie beautiful cabinets. Cherry is beautiful wood, but if there is not lots of light from windows or skylights, it tends to make a kitchen very dark.

You are right, there are so many people here who rely on unemployment or on welfare and wouldn't hit a lick at a snake, for fear of losing benefits. I am all for helping the disabled (truly disabled) and the elderly, but the government needs to implement some programs like WPA and put some folks to work. I know that there are things that the government contracts out, so why not do it on a bigger scale and help those who truly can't find jobs.

Gosh the way gas prices are now, I am combining my errands into one trip, to save money by not running out for this and then having to go for that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.