Wetter, not better!

Barberton, OH

Thank you, Bonnie. Things are starting to dry out. Yesterday I had the Mosquito control people here. One gave me a shot with his mistblower. I think it just gave the skeeters an appetite. I used to "fog" back in the '60's. That killed anything smaller that 3/8th of an inch. The 2nd guy checked the standing water and said the tadpoles were doing a good job and it wasn't as bad as I thought. He put larvacide in the water. With the heat and the water drying up it is starting to stink. Next week I might get to dig my horseradish. Miss that.
I have 12 Dragons planted and was able to till a spot for the Tomatoes a friend gave me. Only 4, all different and I didn't get the names, but all heirlooms.
Had 1st daylily yesterday, Bitsy. Figs starting to form on one of the potted figs. Bonnie, did you see the pic of the pagoda I posted when you were in FL? Did yours survive? I have more in pots for next year. Will have better roots. Layering a fig, too. 'nough for tonight. Try to post more often.
Herman

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Herman, the ones you sent are doing great. I have them potted up, and they are outside taking in the weather. Yes, I saw the picture, and it is a beautiful tree. Guess it will be a long time before I see mine like that!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Didn't get much of anything accomplished today. Packed two orders and got them mailed. Fixed up 16 hanging baskets for my neighbor which he IS paying for! Then I watered and got cleaned up while Craig ran to the grocery. Carly had a game an hour away. Hardest team we play. Two girls didn't show up...AGAIN. We only got beat 10-0. Their pitcher was FAST! We traveled an hour back home, drove through McD's and grabbed some ice cream cones, drove by a house I wanted to look at then back home.

Kristenne made us BLT's for dinner and Craig sliced strawberries so we could have shortcakes for desert. The younger kids all flopped in the foot of water again while I watered more plants.

That was about it for our day. The pool will have to be taken back down while we try to find the holes. Then I guess we'll set it back up or give up. We can't buy a new liner right now.

I did get one daylily bed tilled up yesterday and planted about 140 tomatoes and tomatilloes. I'm hoping to get to a second one tomorrow. I know I can't plant 3,000 plants but I'm sure going to use what I can.

Guess I'm going to hit the sack. Tomorrow I want to work on cleaning up the yard and hopefully another veggie bed.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

tomatilloes, what are these, I have some salsa to make and it calls for these???

Thanks

Jan

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

A tomatillo is sort of like an unripe green tomato. They are tangy and so far as I know, only available in green or purple. They are solid inside with very tiny seeds and are best used about the size of a golf ball. Each tomatillo is covered with a paper husk. They are used in a several Mexican/Latin and southwest dishes. They are easy to grow like tomatoes. They can also be roasted and eaten.

Here is some info: http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/Produce/ProduceFacts/Veg/tomatillo.shtml
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Produce-638/tomatillos.aspx

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for the explaination Badseed, so I'm thinking I'll have no problem finding them down here in FL.

Jan

Barberton, OH

A day of work turned to one of rest Around noon I felt a little woozie. Checked my sugar, 50. Third time that has happened. Time for med adjustment.
Bonnie, that tree is less than 15 years old, more like 12. I have another about 5 ' tall that bloomed this year. Lots of cornus seedlings coming up where I eliminated the grape vine. Too small to tell what kind. Hope some kousas. I sent some Pagoda cuttings to Bronson in NE. He said they are doing well. Might be the way to go. Trunk will be bigger. The cuttings were from a sucker. That might make a difference. Time to rest. Harder than working.
Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jan, you can buy the seeds online. They grow pretty quick. The ones I started in March are fruiting, in the greenhouse, in cell packs. LOL I would think in Florida, you should have ethnic markets that would sell them. I don't know a lot about Bradenton but I know anywhere that my father ever lived down there, was a pretty diverse melting pot. I think I used all the seeds I had, or I'd mail you some. You might even be able to find them at the grocery store. I'm thinking I've seen them here. If it were me, I'd just buy seeds. They should be good for a couple of years if stored cool and dry.

Herman, you need to take care of yourself! Sugar is nothing to mess with. I hope you can get it regulated so you can enjoy your summer. :)

Busy day, and I am beat. Guess I will head to bed and rest my weary bones. Wish Janet would check in, that is if she is still sane!

Herman take care of yourself. Do you adjust your meds yourself, or do you need to see the Dr?

Barberton, OH

I'll check with PCP tomorrow. He will probably want to see me. Found recipe for switchel. Good drink for working in hot weather. Old farmers gatorade. Lots of carbs and minerals.
Went to see EXGF. Less than 10 miles away and her garden is so dry the cracks are half inch wide and I still have some standing water, but not as much.
Herman

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OK folks, I need big time advice. Despite my love of blooming & growing things, I'm finding myself truly unable to cope with all my gardens, even with help from the yard guy once a week, plus having the lawn mowed by someone else. My joints are really bad this year, & I find myself with zero energy. Plus hardly anyone comes over to see the garden. DS is busy with work and DDIL finds it hard to leave the house since she's taken in her grandmother, who is bedridden. A couple of other friends are teaching part time this summer. I find it not so much fun to garden just for myself. It's starting to be like WORK!

I'm thinking seriously abt restructuring my yard so that I only have 2 or 3 flower beds, & relocate some of the shrubs so that they're near the foundation of the house. My biggest flower bed I think I should relocate so that 1. it's nearer the house and 2. It gets more sun.

I'll try and do a graph to show you how it's laid out. I think I just need to simplify!
Pat

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Is it possible to find someone who loves gardening but lives in an apartment to share your gardens with. They could help with the upkeep & enjoy them as much as you do.

Waddy, KY

Checking in as requested. I'm supposed to be back at work this morning but called and begged another day. I don't think the manager liked it but she grudgingly said yes.

The wedding week was a bloomin' rat race. I thought I had enough time budgeted in to take care of things but we didn't. We started off the week not being able to get in touch with the fellow that were making the bouquets. We were starting to get concerned as we didn't locate him until Wed. He said he'd have them ready by Thurdsay night. I started making cakes on Tuesday and got the layers for the wedding cake done and the filling made. Then I started making the others. The first one did something totally strange and didn't raise. Tasted ok but was totally unusable. Just totally scratched that one off the list. Then started making the food for the rehearsal dinner. I had to do all that since the mother of the groom was in Owensboro. Not that I minded but it was one more thing to block an entire day out for. Wed. we made more cakes and Thursday we started arranging flowers. If it hadn't been for a dear, dear friend that spent 6 hours putting flowers together it wouldn't have gotten done. Got through the rehearsal and the picnic and still had one cake to make and the wedding cake to ice. DH was supposed to take care of getting the bouquets in as it was going to involve a trip to Lexington. When the call came in to pick up the flowers DH was giving farm tours to the dinner guests. I called him to go make the pick up and he called me a few minutes later and said I'd have to take care of it. BP at that point went through the roof! DD(the bride) came in, assessed the situation and pretty much told DH that he was picking them up. Which he must have gotten smart and agreed to do. Confrontation averted. We started icing the wedding cake and all was going well and it was looking good. We put in some wooden spikes that we'd used before and put on the second layer and started spreading icing. That's when we noticed that the layers of the bottom were starting to shift and the whole bottom layer was crooked. It was't straightening up. We were decideing that it wasn't going to work and I was starting to get a little agitiated since it was 10:15 and I still had two cakes to assemble, one to totally make and the wedding cake was rapidly going down the drain. And in come the bouquets. DD looks at them and I can see it in her face that it's not what she had had in mind. She said they were too small. And I did have to agree with her. In the meantime she had counted the jars of flowers for the tables and said we didn't have enough. We did manage to go down to the basement and rummage through the discarded flowers for enough greenery and left overs to make three jars of flowers. I told her we'd go to the cooler and see if we could steal enough flowers from the jars to beef up the bouquets. Walking down there I asked her if a ring of hydragenas would be satisfactory to increase the size, she said she thought so and praise be I'd seen them in Kroger in Shelbyville. We had a plan and it was looking up. At that point Thursday I went to bed because I wasn't doing anything productive at that point. Early Friday morning we got up. Kate had a final that morning so she drove to school. Stephanie and crew loaded the van and headed to the reception hall to set up. A very good friend took off from work to manage the decorating and a more beautiful job could not have been achieved. I baked a cake, baked the lower level of the wedding cake and put the other two together. The cake was iced at 1:30 and in place by 2:30. Everything went off fairly smoothly. There were a lot fewer than had RSVP'ed which was disappointing but those there had a great time. The caterer did a wonderful job with the beef and it was perhaps the best wedding meal that I've sat down to. We did make the markets the next day but were truly dragging hiney by the end of the day.

Thanks for checking in Janet. If I were you, since this is the first wedding, I would call a family meeting, and DEMAND that the others elope!

Glad it finally turned out okay, but I can imagine your BP was at stroke level the whole week. You need a day or more to rest and recouperate. The upside of this, finishing the house and your daylily tours will seem like a piece of cake, boy that was a groaner!

I have the dates of your open house for the daylily tours marked on my calendar, and will come and be available to do whatever I can to help you out. If nothing else, just visit.

Barberton, OH

Dr's Office called. Meds adjusted. DGD planning wedding this Summer, but can't decide on venue, and of course date. Glad I'm not her mother. Invitations ready except for the most important parts. Groom's mother rejected the church because it was a 20 minute drive. It's about a tank of gas for me.
Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, I'm sure glad to hear from you! It sounds like everything turned out wonderful! I'm sorry there was not a better turn out but it sounds like they missed out on a beautiful wedding and meal too! In the future, I'll be sure to keep you on speed dial. LOL I often joke, I'm having one wedding and they all better show up with someone!

Herman, I'm very happy to hear that you contacted the doctor and got the meds fixed right away. I enjoy your posts. :)

Bonnie, what are the dates for Janet's Open House? I hope to get down there and see you two soon. The girls love the rest of my daylily friends and they know you. So, we have to meet Janet in person now! They have good garden manners. chuckle

I still need to get in touch with Esther and see about a trip to her house too. I didn't forget Esther!!

And Marcy, dear Marcy has been waiting on us for 2-3 years!

I went down to the neighbor's shop and put new plants in both of his raised greenhouse beds (16 baskets of Waves). I dug up all the other plants, stuck them in pots and took them to his house. I have to go over, cut all those back and add those to the gardens I put in last year. I was supposed to get paid when I was at his house but he didn't have money. So he better pay up today or else. Don't think I won't go rip every single plant back out. LOL He has more jobs for me and I told him only if they paid. I worked like a dog for him last year for free so we could keep our house...

Janet's open gardens are June 17-?? I think just on the weekends for a couple or three weeks. I got a notice of Finchville Daylily open gardens which is June 24 & 25 and then July 1 & 2.

Chele would love to have you and the girls anytime. I think my daylilies need dividing so bad that there won't be many blooms this year. DH has promised to help me in the fall and that will probably mean another year of identifying all over again.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hopefully I will sell some more plants and be able to take care of the pool liner. Once that is taken care of, I'll be working on gas money and sticking aside money for next year. I really want to make all the visits I've wanted to make for so long!

Bonnie, if you do divide or hubby helps you, make sure you make duplicate tags with 1 and 2 or A and B on them so once you figure out the first part, you know the duplicate is the same.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Janet,

wow I'm tried just from reading about your weeding week..... and I know there was much more but you most likely didn't have the strength to write about it...LOL

Hope you are resting and getting back to normal.

Jan

Well, I finished trimming the shrubbery today. Got out early about 6:30 and worked until about 9:30, by then I was sweating like a pig. The clean up will come tomorrow morning. DH has worked outside all day, crazy man, bushhogging and then weed eating, it is a wonder he doesn't have a stroke working out like that. He likes to get his work done so he can go fishing later. He left to go fishing about 5:30 and just got in. So now he will spend about an hour cleaning fish. I don't see much of him in the summer time.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...I have to say..you ALL make me tired!! LOL!
Janet...glad it's over for you..and glad it all worked out. I do wish people wouldn't say yes to RSVP's and then not show up though. Yes..I realize sometimes it can't be avoided...but..just sayin!
Chele....ahem....think I should be FIRST on your list...lol!
Bonnie....seems I don't see much of my hubby anytime! In winter...he's always shoveling snow..in summer...mowing grass! Plus...working at the store too. The man makes me tired!
Herman...glad u got meds adjusted too.
I'm out the door!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I know Marcy. I know. I hang my head in shame. I've been promising to come see your for what?? 2-3 years?? You know I have wanted to. The kids would love the day trip and I'd love to finally get to see your gardens!!

Speaking of, I potted those Ostrich ferns and cut them back and they are sending up a bunch of new fronds. :) I need to decide where I want them. I also need to find out if my neighbor wants one. He did pay me last night by the way. LOL

Bonnie, I've been meaning to tell you the kids LOVE the jelly! Carly said she's not even a fan of grape jelly and that is the best she's ever had. That is quite a compliment! I've watched them eat it like crazy.

I have an order to ship, a check to pick up then it's back to transplanting and watering.

Carly has a softball game Tuesday night, Saturday morning and 2 on Sunday. Finally getting in all those rained out games.

Well, I have been working like the devil was after me, but most of it has been in the shade. Drinking water like crazy. I did the clean up of the shrubbery cut a few days ago, and then started on the shrubbery by the garage, which I had totally forgotten about. Got it all trimmed, but the clean up will have to come another day.

I need to get cleaned up, and then head to the deli to pick up an order. I ordered a meat and cheese tray to take to the funeral home this afternoon for DGD's GF's family. Thought that would be more appreciated than flowers. They are all from out of town, and I know they won't take time to go get something to eat, so this just seemed better.

Chele, glad the girls are liking the jelly. I think I have more, and if you get down, remind me and I will load you up again. With just the two of us, I make all the jelly and how long do you think it would take us to eat 2 jars, much less 10?

Waddy, KY

Chele, you just come on down and we'll have a good visit. I'd offer you some rooms but we're still not in that _ _ _ _ house. If it keeps on I guess I'm going to have to learn how to run a bulldozer and semi so I can dig the septic myself.

Open gardens were supposed to start this weekend but as I only have six varieties blooming as of yesterday I think I'm going to hold off at least a week. I have to get the posting in the newspapers and get some ads ready to go. That's next on the agenda I guess.

Took yesterday off and got all but three of my new daylilies in the ground and broke in the new young helper on daylily weeding. He did some mowing for me and I guess I won't get to see Circus Truffle and Dewar bloom this year. At least he didn't mow them totally to the ground. How do you teach someone to mow close to the daylily but don't mow over them? He either ran over them or mowed a foot away from them.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have to get out the door but...

Have you considered putting up posts, tying a rope to them and saying "MOW UP TO HERE"? Hey, I deal with kids all day every day. LOL I'd tell you to spray paint a line but that would look bad...

Move a 4 bedroom double wide onto the property somewhere and we'll be right down. Can't wait for the _ _ _ _ house. *giggle* I can mow right up to the tags or plants. neener neener neener!

Waddy, KY

Unfortunately we're talking six tenths of an acre....

And if I got a 4 BR double wide I'd move in it myself! LOL!!

Well, Janet, maybe that would work, you and Chele and the girls could share the double wide, and let your DH fend for himself. Tell him you will move back in with him when the house is finished!

What is it with the helpers. Good grief, it is not that hard to tell a daylily from grass and weeds.

So let me know when your dates are firm. I am serious about coming to help in any way I can.

I trimmed the shrubs beside the garage today. Didn't get the mess cleaned up, and I have to go to the funeral for DGD's DGF tomorrow. I got too hot out there today, and really felt like crap this afternoon. However, I had to pick up a deli tray and deliver it to the funeral home for the family, and visit a bit came home and cooked supper, and put on pj's and have been in my chair reading for a bit.

Getting sleepy so am off to check out the bedroom for a long while, I hope!

Waddy, KY

All I got done yesterday after work was a trip to Save-a-lot and Wal-Mart. You have no idea how much I hate WM but it's the cheapest for what I buy the most of so I just have to suck it up and move on. Never got all the groceries put away until 8:30. I guess since DD, who was the cook during market season, has left, the cooking responsibilites are going to fall back on me again. They'd been eating left overs from the reception but those are pretty much gone. Last night one got a roast beef sandwich and the other took hot dogs. Youngest DD has gone to 4-H camp so we're actually 2 short in the household. DH was quizzing our summer help as to whether or not she could cook. Since they're over at the farm and I bake at my house, most of the meals have been prepared over there. I think he was testing the waters on paying the young lady to cook supper. Funny, how he can rationalize help for certain things.... Left a chuck roast for them to put in the crock pot so maybe somebody can peel some potatoes and carrots late this afternoon and throw in the pot.

I've got the teens lined up to weed the tomatoes and squash tomorrow. Maybe even the beets and potatoes. DS will probably be miffed over this as he'll have to take them down to the garden. I totally feel for the boy but at this point he's graduated and doesn't have a job. And nobody sleeps until noon at our house unless they're deathly ill....

In for a break. We have the funeral at 1:00, but I got up and got out early to get the debris from the shrub trimming picked up this morning. I have deadheaded all the iris in the yard, the big circle of them will come later. Have deadheaded the peonies and the knockout roses. Have the wheelbarrow loaded with rocks gifted to me from Wisconsin, and they are going in my new shade garden. Those suckers are heavy, even in the wheelbarrow.

Hehe, Janet, if you find a cook, maybe she can do double duty and come on over to my house and start something! No matter what I am doing, or how late it is, my DH expects something cooked, and he doesn't consider even a hot sandwich a meal. Told him I would give him cooking lessons this winter when he doesn't have much to do!

Need to get those rocks placed, and then in for a shower. DH is setting tobacco this morning, so hope that they take an early lunch so he won't be so rushed getting ready.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL on the walmart Janet! I LIVE there..and hate it as bad as you do!! Ohhh..yes I do!!
But like you said...where else can you go, and get the prices for the things you need?

Waddy, KY

Dang Bonnie! I've got a whole pasture FULL of rocks! You didn't have to go to Wisconsin to get 'em!

I didn't go to Wisconsin, they were brought to me by DG friends. You don't have rocks like these, they are volcanic rocks, and all we have here is limestone!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I drained the pool again today and fixed the rip by the skimmer. Then I fixed the four holes we found. I guess tomorrow, I will take the metal coping off the top, pull down the liner and check the back for more holes, since it's white and will be easier to see holes than on the blue speckled size. If there are no more holes, I can take down the frame, make the track round again and put it back up.... Life without the pool at 90 is proving to be un-fun for the 9 of us!

I sold 5 more 6 packs of veggies today along with a hyacinth bean vine and moonflower vine to a nice older lady down the road. She stops to see me every year. Another lady was here at the same time picking up an extra pool ladder I had for the easy set pools we used to have. We had three of them sitting here and 2 were brand new.

I guess after this post, I'm going to kill these threads and make life easier on everyone.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I would rather you not kill the thread!!! This is about the only place here on DG (or anywhere for that matter) that I post at all. :(

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I used to go to another thread, but the person who started that one killed it too... now I don't ever "see" those people who posted on that thread. :(

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here we go Melissa, new thread so we can keep up with this wonderful family.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188506/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.