CLOSED: DAYLILIES & MORE FOR POSTAGE PT 3

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

I will get a close up picture of it tomorrow then I'm sure you will know what it is :) it is lovely
My friend is going to call me soon & Maybe she will know what it is .

Athens, PA

Susie

Her gardens are gorgeous. What a shame that nobody wants her house because of the gardens. I think it would be exciting to see what came up if I bought the house.. Spring would be like a treasure hunt going through the yard to try to guess what was coming up...

What kind of hydrangeas she have? Would you be able to take cuttings from the hydrangeas?

Carolyn

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

The problem with me, is I need stuff that could travel across the states and make it, during the heat.

I Have most of her Hydranges here as for names I do not know for she never kept the names of plants till she met me :) HEHE Going over later today for another load have 2 gardens to put them in .

Carol if I can drive to NY In 10 Hrs you can drive over here in 4-5 hrs I can put you up for the night :)
Just bring a truck & Boxes or Plastic bags:) it will be worth the trip if you like hosta;s , irises , trees of sorts .
Many Butterfly bushes, & Hibiscus of all colors HEHE LOADS OF Ground Covers,

well off to get daddys bKF then out doors i go .
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL .

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mother's here! Have a wonderful day doing what you enjoy most!

Linda

Forgot to add a picture to my Mother's Day wishes!

This message was edited May 8, 2011 8:23 AM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Happy Mother's Day to all. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Happy Mother's Day again!

Linda

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, I received my box of daylilies yesterday from Pagardener61 and they are fantastic! I received:
Jedi Blue Note
Siloam French Marble
Jason Mark
Grey Woods Lofty Lizzy (gift)
Janet Gordon
Cherry Smash
Condilla (double flowering)
Going out to plant as soon as I leave here! Thank you so much Kathy! :) :) :)
Oh, I also want to say Happy Mothers Day to all!

Athens, PA

Susie

I would have to bring a moving van - I like everything that grows......

Bev and Linda - gorgeous pictures.

Happy Mothers Day everyone! I baked you all a Mother's Day treat.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

OH Carol Please bring the treats with you :) I have to go out & cook as usual :)
Blue Great Box I would love some of those :) HEHE

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Happy Mother's Day girls.

Wow! that is my dream for someone to leave me plants.

Susie, I have received payment from Sue - Cheermom, so you can mark her as paid. Thanks,
Linda

Ok Linda ty No one left me the plants these are my friends plants & they are moving & everyone who come look at her home look at the gardens to take care of & that turns them away & it is beautyful . I hope to be Moving the asaitic's or as many as we can . & more of the Creeping Phlox
& MITTSY Your Right it is ROCK CRESS Under the tree & I Do Plant to get Losta of that for i have many spots for it :) & I will be happy to share with anyone that I'm sharing plants with :)) I Will stick it in your boxes :)

well I have a doctor apt this morning have to leave soon back about Noon .
Happy Gardening

Susie, I just received postage from Lori-enidcandles. Please mark her as paid. Thanks!
Linda

got it MARKED Thank you linda . We are in for rain this week so this will help the plants :))))
they are starting to perk up :)))) .

Enid, OK

I got my boxes from Linda - Igrowinpa - she sent some very nice daylily fans and great big fat iris rhizomes!

Thank you so much Linda - I appreciate all of your efforts!

Deejay - Thank you for having such a wonderful idea! I think this works out great for both ends!

Pleased as punch - Lori

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got my box today from pagardenr61 and they all looked great. Thanks a lot.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I also received my box from pagardenr61 today and also looked good.Will post the names tomorrow,I've got some beauties.Thank You so much !

Now That just makes me want to get into my gardens even more to get my boxes out But I Need for them to be of good size right now many of the ones I want to share are still only about 3-4 inches out of the ground .
can't believe taken so long . or am I just in a hurry :))) ???

well i will mark you all Rec;d & I Got to get some sleep before dad has me back up in the night :) back for coffee

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

tap tap. lol

Good Morning all Going to be another nice day . The rain we was to get last Night all went way NORTH Of us but they say chance of a shower this morning btw 8&9 Am its only 7:14 am so guess there is still time for it to get here :).
55* this am going to get my house work done this morning so you all have a great day & I will be back later in the day :)

Some of my Dwarf Irises are Blooming these are some i was going to share in the Mixed Boxes if you have them or do not want please tell me so & I WIll not send . These are a Dutch one that has no name on them
they multiply fast these are some i just moved from my friends house to mine this last week.

so you see they take allot & keep on blooming :) Not sure what I will get done today but hope to start packing boxes by this Next monday so many of you will get your Boxes by Next weds will the post the list . here.

Thumbnail by deejay9
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I have one, that is blooming, Dwarf, that is. It is purple and yellow. My other ones still blooming are burgundy, plum, the others are done and I removed foliage already except still have one to go. None of my DL are blooming yet. We keep having 34 deg nights and just above it. Nutty weather.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't understand why you have removed foliage already. I thought it fed the rhizomes to produce next years blooms,

Mittsy is right, the foilage needs to stay on rhizomes of Bearded Irises to feed the rhizomes. It is imperative that Bearded Irises get the proper nutrition to ensure blooms next year. The only time you would remove leaves is if they are diseased, and then they should be cut off. But only for that reason. You should cut off spent flower stalks, though.

And here's a tip for everyone who has received reblooming Bearded Irises in their boxes. Rebloomers are a little different from spring only blooming irises. Rebloomers need more water and more food to rebloom because they bloom on new growth. So, what you are trying to do is to supply them with water and food so they will produce new rhizomes for fall bloom. If we have a very hot and dry summer, and that's how it's been here for several years now, your rebloomers will need to watered, and don't be afraid to give them a feeding once in a while too.

And one more tip - leave the top of those rhizome exposed - even in the northern, cold weather zones. If you don't, your rhizomes may rot and you will lose your plants. We mulch our beds here, but we do not mulch over the rhizomes.

Linda

Athens, PA

I don't mulch over my iris either and for that reason. Linda - what do you feed your iris? I have some rebloomers and sometimes they seem to flower and sometimes they don't.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

I was mixing up a mixture called Hooker's Formula. It was made up by someone a long time ago and used to feed daylilies:
http://www.ofts.com/bill/hooker.html

The interesting thing about this is that Mr. Hooker lived right across the river in the next town over, and I never heard of him. I would mix up huge batches of it and feed both the daylilies and irises. Miracle Grow would be fine. I had also used Peter's Plant Food, which was just a bit different from MG for years, until they sold the company and I can't find it now. I liked it better than MG. Also, a slow release dry fertilizer should work well too. They are not really very picky.

With rebloomers, there is no hard and fast rule that says that they have to rebloom every year. Many do. I can think of a few that are really reliable here - Immortality, Clarence, Lo Ho Silver, Sugar Blues, and I have a NOID Standard Dwarf Bearded that I can't give away. No one wants it because it was sent to me without a name, but it reblooms EVERY year since I planted it. And it's cute - a pretty purple with a blue beard and it's fragrant, AND it increases like crazy. It looks like Flower Shower or Smell the Roses, but I don't know "who" it is! Baby Boom, Baby Blessed,Plum Wine, Fast Forward, Rosalie Figge and a peachy pink TB NOID rebloom almost every year but that's "almost." Perhaps they didn't get enough water during the summer those years they didn't, who knows? But when you do get rebloom, it's really worth waiting for, isn't it Carolyn?

Pretty picture, by the way Carolyn.

Linda

HAVE A FEW DWARF IN BLOOM

BUMBLE BEE DELIGHT

Thumbnail by deejay9
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ok, well luckily I only did a whisky barrel of foliage removal. Thought you were supposed to do it after bulbs bloomed. thanks.

GM ALL Had a Very Loud & Strong rain last night . I'm sure it shook the ground & aroused my plants :0
Hope to start shipping Monday or Tuesday.
happy gardening to you all.
susie

hellnzn11, when you say foliage, you mean spent flower/stalks, and leaves right? It's good idea to remove the spent flowers/stalks, but leave the leaves - LOL! They feed the plant.

Linda

This forum is going to be shut down by ADMINASTRATION so please contact your sponsors to conferm dilivery of your plants thanks . for following .
susie

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

To clarify, we are not shutting down the forum, or even this thread unless Susie wishes to have her thread closed.

Our site rules have always stipulated that trading cannot involve selling plants (and that includes charging more than actual postage for plants.) We have advised Susie that she can adjust the postage fees and keep the thread open, or move the effort to the Classified Ads and run it as a sale.

Anyone who has ask me for plants for postage I do not wish to go advertize my plants for sale for i'm not a seller so I can Do one of two thinks .

# 1 RETURN Your Postage

#2 My Fans & roots are fairly lg & cannot get but maybe 3-4 in a flat rate witch is a rip off for they do not weigh
much so i will get what I can in a LG PRIORITY Box & refund the rest .

I will not be taken on any more just going to fill the ones i have & that is it.
this is a back breaking Job :)))
Please Let me know if you want a Full REFUN .

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

cjcjmass, Since you paid via PayPal, I sent you the difference tonight the same way so your refund reflects only the actual cost of postage.

silverfluter, You paid by MO and I will refund your entire payment by 1st Class Mail. Perhaps you can find Daylilies you like in the Plant Trading Forum.

Just sent this message privately to Susie:

Oops, forgot to put the message in:
I sat and figured things out before I even got involved with this. I sent at least 8 plants and sometimes more, to each buyer. You cannot find a named daylily or iris to purchase on-line from a daylily or iris farm for less than $4 a double fan/rhizome. Most are a lot more. OK, let's stay on the cheap side and say $4 a double fan/rhizome X 8 = $32.00. I think shipping my least expensive box was $10.95 plus $ .70 Delivery Confirmation = $11.65. The most expensive was a large flat rate box for $14.95 plus $.70 Delivery Confirmation = $15.65. That means that people who bought from me paid $35 for named plants and if they received 8 plants - most got more, and more than a double fan of a daylily - they got AT LEAST $43.65 to $47.65 worth of plants that included shipping. I just checked some daylily farms and an auction for you. Here is what they charge:

Bluegrass Daylily Gardens_We use United States Postal Service Priority Mail. Please include $10 plus $0.50/plant over 3 plants.
I used them because they sell Daylily Pure and Simple for $10 a plant, probably a double fan and some of my people received this one.

Tranquil Lake Nursery -Include $15.00 with each order to help cover shipping and packing costs. I used this one because they sell Daylily Dark Star, which some of my people received. They charge $10 for a plant of Dark Star

The Blooming Auction has a double fan of Daylily Bradley Bernard on it right now for $9.99. Blue Ridge Daylilies is selling it as a buy it now. Priority Shipping for the auction is $8 for one plant and $2 more for each other plant bought at the auction. I sent out lots of Bradley Bernard to different people.

If I sat and figured out the worth of each box I sent out, using daylily farm prices and Iris Farm prices, I'd be in the hole. By the time you add in your time for digging, cleaning, trimming, tagging, going to the PO to get the boxes, taking them back to the PO, the cost of tape - I went through a whole roll doing this, and the cost of water and sewage for cleaning them and soaking them, well, it's a labor of love.

Just my opinion,
Linda

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We understand what goes into sending out plants (I've done it numerous times myself.)

This is a plant trading forum, and the rules for all plant/seed trading forums (as long as I've been hanging around gardening sites, which is well over a decade now) is that trading is strictly a non-commercial activity. You can't really compare a trade to buying from a vendor.

We offer classified ads and the marketplace if you want some outlets to sell your plants; you can charge whatever you wish for them.

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone

Just wanted too jump in and say hello to everyone
.Fotv I did receive you refund back I sent youa e-mail....

Please I do not want to break any Guidelines I Have not a problem of a refund or if you would like to receive the box or boxes I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE but in a private email .
NOT ON THE FORUMS.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.