How many EBs does a 2 cubic foot of media fill?

Crestview, FL

I think I've discovered what could be the problem with my eggplants. 5 of 6 are dying and they are all in the same row and I believe I used leftover potting mixes for them, so , suspect possibly a disease in the soil? Anyways, I did buy some Jungle Grow for professional growers mix to pot up any I did not have enough leftover mixes to put in the EBs. I don't know if Lowe's changed the mix, as I used to use it a few years ago, or if I've just gotten spoiled with using the coconut coir lately. I did find coconut coir on sale and intend on buying some to refill the 4 EBs that I have the sad soil in now. Three coconut coir bricks sell for 8.95 and make 2 cubic feet of growing media, so how many will fill and EB?
joy

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is the link to EarthBox that tells how much each box holds (2 cubic feet!)

http://www.earthbox.com/resources/faq/

So it looks like you would need 12 coir bricks to fill 4 boxes! I also use coir exclusively and have found it to work very well with the correct amendments.

Crestview, FL

Gardadore: Thanks for that info. I'm looking at doing some major landscaping this fall, I want to plant 3 dog wood trees in my front yard on the left and a crape myrtle tree on the left to give my yard a little shade and color. I also picked up some 4 x 4 beds made of cedar at Big Lots on clearance for $20 each, I had bought 2 earlier for $30 each and then couldn't resist buying 2 more, I also got weed cloth and am going to buy some wiring for under the weed cloth as I'm going to be planting bulbs in the beds and the wire should discourage moles and voles I hope. With all that going on, and my wanting to plant some grass seed in the bare spots in my yard, I think it might be time to have a watering system installed by Raintree. I'm also wanting to cut down some of those pine trees and replace them with a tall shrub so I can have a living fence of shrubs, therefore, a sprinkling system will be a must in the front yard.
joy

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

When you say you used leftover potting mixes in the EB's did you mean you recycled the potting mix you used last year in your EB or that you simply used left over mix in bag. If you re-used the EB soil from last year did you re-fertilize? I have grown eggplants almost exclusively in EB's for the last few years and always seem to get a good crop. I usually take out about a third of the old mix and replace it with a new third and then add my cups of fertilizer, gypsum, worm castings, etc.

You certainly do have a lot of "projects" lined up! More power to you! Half the fun is in the planning, I think. It's the execution that gets me down - sometimes it gets overwhelming and I have to stand and ask myself where I go next when there is so much to do. But with gardening there is never a dull moment, that's for sure!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Just a note: all EBs are NOT created equal. Check the age and dimensions of the EBs you have...

I have 9 of the older model EBs that are actually larger than the newer models. It takes one full 2.65 cu. ft. bag of MG Potting Mix (which they no longer seem to make - the bags they sell now have shrunk down to 2.0 cu ft...), PLUS about 1/4 quarter of another bag to fill my boxes...

I kept trying to figure out why everyone was able to fill an EB with just ONE bag of potting mix, and mine always required that much, and more. Then, I checked the dimensions and found out that the EBs were different sizes!

Linda

Crestview, FL

Gardadore: No, this dumby put all her potting mixes used from the previous season into clear plastic bags to solarize them, then I put them into totes until this season, which I had to start all over from putting the potting mixes into my ebuckets and EBs then add fertilzer rings and lines, after adding dolomite again! Quite a lot of work. I still ran short and used some totes of potting mix that I think was questionable, as the tote lids had busted and potting mixes had been exposed to the weather elements. After this season I will not solarize again, I will just pull up all the plants and go right into my fall/winter season. Then just before Spring, any containers not with coconut coir in them I might just do away with the potting mix and replace with coir/perlite.

After going to TPlants and cleaning up all the EBs and mailing them up here, my friend decided she did not want them, so I replaced some of my E buckets with the older EBs I had gotten from TPlant in my garden and gave the E buckets to my friend, for some reason she likes the E buckets better. And I prefer the EBs; but love the E-buckets also. The E-buckets seem to be pretty popular in this area though. I did notice that the older EBs do hold more potting mix, the reason I had to buy more in the first place and it does take more water than the E-buckets; but that is remedied by my putting 2 poly tubes into the water fill tubes instead of one that the E-buckets get. It takes one EB to make 2 Ebuckets in reality, because you can only plant one plant in an Ebucket and get 2 in the EB if you are planting tomatoes or eggplants. I've put only 4 peppers in my EBs this year by the way and 4 squash plants and 4 cukes per EBs.
joy

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Hmm, Gymgirl, I guess what I was reading on the Earthbox site was for the new EB's. I also have older ones but never really checked the capacity because I just make a ton of the coir and fill the boxes until they are filled!

Joy, your plan to replace the old potting soil with the coir sounds good. I let my EB's sit outside over the winter which is probably not good but I can't move them (too heavy). So now they are somewhat waterlogged. This week I will have to go out and try to tip them to get some of the water out and then check the soil. If the soil smells bad then I remove at last a third and replace it with new coir. I remove the other two thirds and put it in buckets to dry out a bit and then put it back in. It's all a lot of work but worth it! We have had so much rain I don't know what I will find. It is still too early here to plant them with squash, melons, eggplants and peppers.

I stopped planting them with tomatoes years ago when the plants got so big they toppled over. It is easier for me to put the tomatoes in my straw or hay bales next to my 6 ft fencing. Instead of the e-buckets I am using Boca Bobs Grow Bags with coir and they work well for the cherry tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. Like you I put 4 peppers, squash, melons, eggplants in the EB's. I also sometimes plant up to 8 okra in the EB's.

Hope things go better when you replace with the coir. If you use organic fertilizers it may also help because I don't think you build up as many salts in the soil as with the non-organic. I may be way off base there. I also add a large hand full of worm castings when I plant each seedling. Good luck!

Crestview, FL

Gardadore: You could help by sending some of that rainfall this way, it's been so dry here, it's terrible. We have had forecast thrunderstorms this past month and only got the thunder and no rain! LOL
joy

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Would love to send you some of our rain. We have actually had two days in a row without any raindrops. Tomorrow may be the third in a row in a long time! But despite our rain we are thankful it has not caused the kind of flooding and awful weather in other parts of the country so I am not complaining! But that ball of sun has been a welcome relief to the gloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.