Getting a late start ...

Waaaay Down South, GA

Okay, life happened this year, and I'm getting a late start with my garden. I have my tomatoes, some cucumbers and 5 pepper plants out but still have 2 EBs empty. What else can I grow in zone 8/9? I know I'll have to buy plants, but is it too late to put something out there and expect to get something before it gets too hot?

Thanks!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Okras and eggplants!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Along with GG's suggestions. You might try tomatillos, melons or beans. Corn is always fun too.

Waaaay Down South, GA

Thanks for all these good suggestions. ☺I grew beans last year but thought it would be too late to start those. How long does it take watermellons? I sure love those! Oh, and okra ... never considered that. will have to research that!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Limas may work as well.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from Aquannie :
Limas may work as well.

Definitely! Winged beans are another option.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Squash! Pumpkin! Also cantaloupe, eggplant, heat-resistant spinach, certain types of bush beans, and you're just a few days past the window on a few more things.

I'm in zone 8b and here is the guideline for my county here in Texas.
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F4Best/nspringveg.htm

Lise

Waaaay Down South, GA

Lise ...
Thank you, thank you for all that *wonderful info! I really appreciate it. That truly helped me. ☺
~Susan

Crestview, FL

I O 1: I'm still planting out and live in FL, so, don't feel bad. I am off to the nursery tomorrow to find myself 5 black beauty egg plants to replace the ones (5/6) that keeled over on me and a few pepper plants and a few more cukes. My okra is wilting away in this heat also and I have a few sad looking tomato plants; but they are nursery stock, not the ones I grew from seeds that look sad, those are all getting huge now and some actually have small green balls on them already! My crook neck yellow squash is doing great thus far. As far as if the okra makes it or not I'm not worried about it or peans and beans, I can go to one of those U Pick it places we have around here and pick a few bushels, one for the business and one for me.
joy

Waaaay Down South, GA

Well, I decided on a couple store bought tomatoes ... they actually had Cherokee Purple, so I snagged that cause I could along with a sweet 100 since they're good for snacking. Also got 3 types of eggplant just to see which ones are the best. Didn't see any okra this time so will probably just go with what I have so far. Will make a chart and list it all when I get everyone planted. LOL I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I've never done eggplant before. I thought about zukes but have heard horror stories about pollination so decided not to do that. Not sure I have enough friends anyway. hahaha

Joy, my HD had those eggplant. Hope you found them. ☺

Crestview, FL

IO1: I did, I did, I went to the local nursery and bought 5 in one gallon pots, some have flowers on them already, I bought 3 black beauties and two ichabans. Then the horror started. Keep in mind now, that I've started eggplants from seed and they died after transplanting, then I bought some, they died after transplanting them, and this is like my third go round. I put them in the back yard where my garden is and where they will get full sun, they were not in a greenhouse at the nursery, they were outside! I thought, with bigger older plants how could I lose right? Anyways, sure enough, they looked saggy and droopy, like they were stressing. So; I watered them from the bottom up and am going to delay transplanting them for a few days, so they don't get stressed out and die, they are so persnickity. My back yard gets full sun all day long, and remember it's been hot lately here. Where my tomatoes flourished right from the get go, my peppers balked, my squash wilted but recovered, and my cukes bit the dust along with my okra, which I've bought plants and replaced all.

I think the problem comes when I plant them into the EBs from the containers they came in, it's too stressful for them I think, so am going to get them used to my yard first in their original containers before transplanting them over to the EBs, I think they stand a better chance that way. The spray I used seems to be working well at warding off insects thus far. It's my own concoction using 2 recipes really. I take 1/3 cup of each, Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, tobasco or Franks' hot sauce in my case, and garlic powder put it in with 1 gallon of water in a sprayer that pumps and bingo, it got my whole garden and I had enough left over for my canna lily beds. I am planning on using it weekly unless it seems to stop working. I have an oz bottle of spray and grow that I might use on the eggplant when I transplant them as it is supposed to ease the stress.
joy

Waaaay Down South, GA

Hope they do okay. Wow ... what am I saying. I hope mine do okay! LOL Post your pics here, and I'll post mine. I have no idea what I'm doing. hahaha I didn't get mine planted today, so they're just vegging out. ☺

Crestview, FL

IO1: This hot weather and sun is killing everything except the tomatoes, they seem to thrive on it. My front yard gets morning sun; but the back gets full all day sun. I do believe the stress of hitting my back yard with some of these plants might be what's killing them, it's also the reason my tomatoes thrive so well though too. LOL I will keep mine in pots for a few days before transplanting so they get over their stress first and get used to a full day of sunlight. My camera is no more, so won't be posting pics this season.
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.