It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Changing moods of Shirley tulips

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Shirley tulips are one of the last spring bulbs to bloom for me, so it always bittersweet when she opens. The sweet part of Shirley is how the blooms mature. They're cream color when they first open

Thumbnail by jxmas
Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Then become white with a purple edge in a few days

Thumbnail by jxmas
Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

She starts blushing a few days later

Thumbnail by jxmas
Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

This is what she looks like when fully mature
And then comes the bitter part, knowing that spring bulbs are done until next year.

Thumbnail by jxmas
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Great idea showing the different look of the blooms as they mature. Shirley tulips are ones I am wanting to get for planting this fall as I don't have any of them.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Nice! What is that yellow-flowering thing in the background?

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

lisabees -- the shrub in the background is Kerria japonica 'Picta' which is completely covered in flowers now and flowers sporadically for the rest of the year

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76639/

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Your Shirley tulips are beautiful. It's wonderful how they change colors as they mature.

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree with you Cem -- and this is the 3rd year I've had them without digging them up -- it can't get much better than that :-D

jxmas- How deep did you plant them? I want to order some this fall. I did add lots of tulips last fall and am hoping for a good return on them.

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Between 6-8 inches, I wasn't exact in my digging.

The only other things I do are work some generic slow release fertilizer (usually MiracleGrow bloom booster) into the dirt around the bulbs when they first poke their heads up in spring and let the leaves die on their own. I probably would get bigger/more flowers if I fed them a proper bulb fertilizer twice in the spring like everyone advises us to -- but I don't have time or cash for that :-)

Good luck!! I hope they perform and return as well for you as they have for me.

Thanks!

I just bought bulb fertilizer to use on them now that they (my daffs and tulips) are finished blooming. I can't remember what type of fertilizer I used on them first thing in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images