General Discussions - 2011 - Chapter 35

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Jeanette; they started on me when I had my accident. I told them then that if they got too restrictive that I was running away. Didn't take them long to settle down.
I'm thinking the van will make that trip. I'll be easy on her and try to hold her back. She likes to run an I really have to keep an eye on the speedometer.
Several years ago, I got stopped a couple times. All in the same year. Don't want that to happen again.

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: Squash were transplants. Tomatoes from seeds did well, the ones that survived a particularly windy and hot day. Learned a lot this year.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Some vehicles are like that Russ. If you have a cruise control that would hold it down.

Bet you did learn a lot from growing from seeds Kent. That is the most fun of a garden to me. Love to see those little guys sprout and get bigger. You are lucky tho, you don't have to hold them inside as long as I do. I am just now getting mine planted outside. Which means that I have to repot them in larger containers at least once and possibly more.

Dahlonega, GA

Kent , I'd take them as they are and eat them out of hand with a catsup bottle in the other hand .
If your D W would give her recipe for the casserole that freezes good , I bet we all would apperciate it .Freeze cooked or uncooked ?
Russ , Bet I can find room to roost .Tex or georgia ?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I was thinking Georgia.
That way We would be closer to My nephew In SC and just a couple hundred from sister in law in NC. Got a lot of work to do on the vehicle situation before we can plan that though.
But hey why not.
Texas wouldn't be out of the picture though. We might enjoy warming our toes while the snow is 3 ' deep up here. lol

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, you should have started this stuff when you first retired Russ. Maybe it would have kept you out of trouble and your head wouldn't be screwed up.

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Finally gonna get my 'maters in the bales tomorrow - set them outside today. We've gone from 50s at night and 70s during the day to high 60s at night and high 80s and into the 90s during the day! Too fast for me! This is the first year I've started everything from seed myself (so far. I may supplement with some plants when I see how everything's doing).

Looking forward to a brilliant garden this year. It was really exciting to be able to turn so many folks on to the joys of Hay Bale gardening this year. I had fun, giving the classes, and people really responded. Lotsa new bale gardeners around here this season.

Dahlonega, GA

It's the only way to go, Susan

Wake Forest, NC

digger: Here's the squash casserole recipe from the missus:

3 cups of squash, 1 med onion, 1 stick butter, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 cup mayo, 1.5 cups of mozzarella

Freeze uncooked.

I had some tonight with some fresh peppers! Mmmmmm.

Wake Forest, NC

Here's a few pics from the garden this year:

Squash

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Cukes

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Peppers

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Tomatoes

Thumbnail by KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

Herbs

Thumbnail by KentNC
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Kent. Let me ask you, do you think the containers you built are saving you water, work, etc. ? Do you think your plants look better than they have in the past? Did you put bales in the board containers? Were they straw or alfalfa or???

Lotsa questions I know. Really curious how you judge your garden this year vs in the past.

Jeanette

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous shots, Kent! You're lightyears ahead of where we are here.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

A pleasure to view!!! It makes us all a little envious in the North as we have been so limited with all the rain and cool weather. Now as Susan pointed out things are burning up. I planted one tomato in a used bale two days ago and covered it to protect from the direct sun's rays. So far it seems to be surviving but the temps are supposed to go even higher tomorrow so am not sure if I will plant or not! Okra seeds are sprouting in my moist paper towels so maybe I'll plant them first since they like it hot!!

Dahlonega, GA

Kent, I really appreciate that . My squash casserole has always lacked a little something , sounds like this is a good one .I've frozen a lot of squash but now there's a better option than fried , stewed , and mixed in cornbread and hushpuppies .
I'm passing your teachings on to my son in Tex . he's slowly putting in hay to plant in and ate his first squash ever, in hand , in the garden . Didn't even make it to the house . I've tried to get him intrested in a garden for years and now he is trying it and calling me with reports . Priceless .

Wake Forest, NC

Quoting:
Beautiful Kent. Let me ask you, do you think the containers you built are saving you water, work, etc. ? Do you think your plants look better than they have in the past? Did you put bales in the board containers? Were they straw or alfalfa or???

Lotsa questions I know. Really curious how you judge your garden this year vs in the past.

Jeanette

1. I do think the frames are saving some water because the sides of the bales/soil/compost mix are not exposed to the sun/air. Less evaporation. But, the bales do a great job of retaining moisture even when exposed.

2. Other than last year's blight, I have been pleased with the way the plants have looked in the bales. As you can see by my pics, this year's garden is coming along well, too.

3. Last year I recycled my old wheat straw into the frames and packed it in as far as they would go. I then took new bales and finished filling in the remaining space. This year I added some commercial 50/50 compost/soil mixture, some sphagnum moss, and commercial manure compost to everything, plus added some new beds.

4. I've never used any grass/hay/alfalfa bales. Way too expensive in my area.

Kent

Wake Forest, NC

To my friends above the Mason/Dixon, hang in there!! You'll have some fresh veggies soon.

digger: let me know if you like the new recipe. Glad to hear your son is enjoying his garden.

Kent

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Which type squash is this, Kent? Sounds yummy.

Your garden pics are gorgeous.

Thanks,
Linny

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Would you guys believe it was in the 30s here last night? Hasn't gotten higher than low 50s this last week. Highest we have had all year is 70 I think last week. I have a lot of fear that this is going to be another one like last year. Only ripe tomatoes we got were the little cherry guys.

Wake Forest, NC

Linny: I typically grow the standard yellow straight neck squash.

Jeanette: I'll see what I can do about getting some warmer temps your way. We can spare some.

Thumbnail by KentNC
(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

My specialty is zucchini,but I bet this recipe would work as well. Maybe add some bread crumbs.

We had major wind last night. Scary.

Linny

Dahlonega, GA

Wind , yes . We sat on the porch and watched it rain . A tiny bit of small hail and a lot of lightning but most of the rough stuff was ten miles nw of us .

Wake Forest, NC

Has anyone heard from Lena lately?

She moved from NZ to Australia, I believe.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thank you Kent. That is just what the doctor ordered.

No, and you know, wasn't it a lot of flooding Australia had a month or 2 ago? I meant to write to her then and forgot because she said she didn't have access to a computer all the time.

Maybe she will see this and write. You know this is their winter. Isn't it? I know the NZ weather was just the opposite of us. Don't know about Australia.

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

It just occurred to me that I haven't posted this link to the YouTube of my Hay Bale Gardening class (back in March) If you're interested (although most of you probably know more than I do), it's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWz6AmzH_c

Have a great holiday weekend! I've got some planting to do, but it's SOOO hot here!

Dahlonega, GA

Graduation picnic and memoral get together . Catfish , shrimp,all the fixings . Whewww, stuffed .
Bet I sleep good tonight .

Pipersville, PA(Zone 6b)

Sweet dreams, digger.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I sure would with a meal like that. Watched your youtube Suz. You do great with it. Wish the speakers on this laptop were louder. I miss what you are saying some times.

Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: have you got any head phones?

I use them all the time with my lap top and desk top, especially when listening to music. I love to crank it up at times! :-)

Dahlonega, GA

Yeah , crank up Boot Scoot Boogie. And wiggle !

Wake Forest, NC

digger: here's a wiggle for ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZxaDKmtwE

LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Something is blocking the link . I'll have to see it later when this puter is straightened out .
laptop won't respond at all .Burns me up .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No, I gave my headphones away before I got the laptop. Guess I will have to get some more.

Try this one Kent.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20276696/1420871586/name/BOOGIEWOOGIE.wmv

Dahlonega, GA

When my nerd comes over to fix this thing , looks like I'll be hopping and wiggling and bumping and grinding . Now if I can just remember how .

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Good one Kent' but I spent Saturday afternoon on the roof replacing shingles that blew away. I think it will take a week to recoup.
One of the girls in my class back in the fifties, tried to get me to jitter bug. I failed then I know I would not survive now , that boogie woogie is hyper

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Guys,
It has been ages since I posted here, I bet it has been over a year. Last summer I gave up on straw bales here in Oregon. I have minimal sun during the day and when it doesn't warm much, everything dies. This year is even worse than last. We have had one of two days above barely 70very wet and overcast. The bales cook nicely but nothing will grow.
I have two maters that don't look like they are going to survive in a wading pool garden. My strawberries are looking good, lots of blooms but they won't ripen in this weather.
So miserable that I don't even feel like putting forth the effort to plant anything. Last year I had to plant everything 3 times before it sort of grew. By the time they would grow the season was too late. I think I got 1 tomato last year.
My bride and I are moving, after 37 years in the same house up to Longview, Washington. Don't have a house yet, I am holding out for sun light and enough room for a green house.

I have been working and researching a vermiponic system that I am going to begin here in Oregon and move to Longview. I had asked many times over in the vermicomposting forum if anyone had used worm castings for the food for a hydro bed. Well some folks in Australia were doing work with this and it works great.
It is an offshoot of the aquaponic system. It seems that they always find worms in the aquaponic grow beds that have water running through them. It seems the worms love the water, as long as it has enough oxygen in it.
So, it is only a next step to forgetting the fish and just use worms.
This is really exciting because, people can run one of these in a pretty confined space and grow a lot of great food.
Have a great day, His and Your Grateful servant, Paul.

Dahlonega, GA

Sorry Kent , Jnette's boogie was better .
Got my puter back in working condition last night . The router was defective and changing everything over to laptop , some of my stuff had been disabled on the desktop 'till nothing worked on either . Thanks for a good show .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.