General Discussions - 2011 - Chapter 35

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Digger, I had to replace my router a while back, and I called Cisco and told the guy in their tech support, what my setup was and how I use it, and he told me what to buy, where to buy it, and how much I should pay. Then when I got it, I called him and he got me started and told me if I needed any help to call back. The CD that came with the router was so good that even I didn't need any help.

But just wanted to say that those guys at Cisco are wonderful.

LOL, glad you liked the boogie. Bob likes to listen to it every morning to get his motor running. That way he gets some work done.

Have a good one.

Dahlonega, GA

Wonder if it would work on my D H ? I can try . Thanks, it reminded me of my sis and bro . They were fantastic on the dance floor . Lost my bro to liver problems .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Boy Sally, you lost me on that one.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Boy Sally, you lost me on that one.

LOL, Oh, I thought you were talking about the router. I went back and read what I said. The boogie!!! LOL

Dahlonega, GA

I do it all the time . I should start saying "re" to the point I'm referring to . Make sense ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

No biggie. Just kind of funny talking about a router working on your husband.

Dahlonega, GA

The boogie gets Bob started and get some work done , wonder if that would work on my D H . Nothing else does .Re : the boogie and work .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Try it Sally, he might love it and it sure is catching.

Wake Forest, NC

Signs of some early blight on some of my tomatoes. Getting some more fungicide tomorrow and trimming off some leaves.

I hope this is not a repeat of the disaster on my tomatoes last year.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh boy Kent, maybe if you get it early enough it won't stick around.

Wake Forest, NC

Got all the bottom leaves trimmed.

Added some wheat straw on top for moisture control and help in back splash.

Spraying the fungicide before dark.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good Luck!

Wake Forest, NC

Bird's eye view as everything stands today.

Cukes, squash, zukes, and peppers coming off pretty good.

Waiting for those first 'maters!!! Lots of green ones.

Thumbnail by KentNC
Dahlonega, GA

Beautimus . Digger

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Digger, if I look in the dictionary will I find that word? No matter. It really looks nice Kent. If you have green tomatoes the blight must be gone?

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Kent,
I wonder if you might have to replace all of the straw from last year if you had blight?
I have heard that you can't plant maters in the same spot every year because of the
possibility of blight.
The way you have your straw boxes built, it might be harboring some things that
wouldn't occur if you used new straw every year.

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

My very first anything from the bales. It may look a little odd, but no cuke ever tasted better!

Thumbnail by Linny1

Not in bales but the first grape tomatoes are ripening. They taste amazing.

Thumbnail by Linny1
Dahlonega, GA

Jnette , Ha Ha , It's the south again . There is a language all it's own .
I'm jealous Lenny , and Rusty has been running out all morning . The only thing that dog doesn't understand is "come here "
Or he understands too well . He pauses and looks at you , then hightailes it at full speed to where he was headed in the first place .I'm gonna chip him before someone steals him . LOL

That's the terrior for you...

It took a year to get Lily to come. She would sit down 5 feet from me and when I'd go toward her,, she'd back up. She is microchipped. Sally is learning to be an indoor dog. Read your dmail.

Wake Forest, NC

lonejack: blight can over-winter but I'm hoping the extended cold weather we had did the spores in.

We will see.

I planted more Better Boys in the worst hit spots, hoping their resistance will play a part.

If I get it again this year, I'm going to have to plant tomatoes elsewhere next year for sure.

Jeanette: so far so good. I did see some leaves with symptoms of early blight but got them all cut off and spraying with fungicide.

Holding my breath.

Dahlonega, GA

As much love, hard work, and heart that you've put into the growing area ,I know we all will have our fingers crossed for you .

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I wish you luck too. I have heard that early blight is popping up around my area.

Connie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Wonder if I need to spray my plants with some Neem Oil to be on the safe side. Shouldn't hurt them should it? I do have some in bloom. Just a thought.

Connie

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Nice pic Kent! Glad to see I made a convert to the enclosed bales!

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

Doug , I like the enclosed bales too . Wonder how many years you can get out of the treated wood ? Any idea ?

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Very impressive photo, Kent! Everything looks so neat and trim!!
My bales will finally be all planted up today and we are getting a heat wave for the next two days. The tomatoes and eggplants look great but the peppers really suffered yesterday from the sun and heat. We haven't had a lot of sun so I think they got sunstroke!! Except for three really unbearable days about a week ago it has been so nice and cool but that will change tomorrow. My seedlings do not like this see sawing. I cover everything but even with that it got pretty hot under the Remay cloth! We have chipmunks again this year; so far they have not snipped off any tomato plants - crossing my fingers and covering them as well! It's been a long long crazy spring here weather wise so a relief to finally get everything planted!

That is one beautiful garden, Kent. and definitely the way to go. a couple of my bales are falling apart, but those have the largest plants. The bales that are holding together won't grow anything. I'm sure there is an explanation for that. Maybe you could be so kind as to educate us as to why one bale fails to grow anything.

Thanks,
Linny

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sally, I'd guess I'll be gone before they are! Only the bottom pieces are in direct contact with the ground so they should last a long time.

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

I'm probably gonna help my son set up some in Aug for his garden next year . He might plant a fall garden in them . Was just wondering , Thanks , and we don't see you so much anymore. Don't be such a stranger and more pictures please .

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm more of a hands on, play in the dirt gardener than an internet chat gardener!!!!

Doug

Dahlonega, GA

With all the great ideas you've given us ? You don't have to chat , just check in more often so we can see what ideas you've come up with .

Wake Forest, NC

Doug: I was just thinking that we haven't heard from you in awhile.

You were definitely my inspiration for the frames.

I think I'm going to take off the top set of boards for next year. 75% sure at least.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

For what reason Kent?

Wake Forest, NC

I think 2 rows of boards are plenty high and that would give me more boards to make new frames if I wanted to expand my garden.

We will see.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hey guys, I thought we were safe from slugs by using the strawbales. Well guess what I found on one this morning. A very big sized slug just about to chomp down on a big tomato plant. I could not believe my eyes. So, you know what my next buy is going to be.

Gosh, haven't used any slug bait since I left Seattle. Well, gotta get going. ttyl,

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

What a coincidence you should write about slugs at this point. I just returned home after a 10 days visiting my son in Arizona. I went on a marathon planting of tomatoes in my bales just before I left. I planted marigolds in front of the bales to ward off bugs. Well most of the marigolds have been fairly chewed into oblivion and the bottom leaves of all the tomatoes have holes. The stem of my Azoychka has been three quarters eaten through and will probably have to be cut off and re-rooted. At least I now know how to do that after learned two years ago when a chipmunk snipped off many stems. (Maybe it was slugs then, too, and not the chipmunk!!) They also have eaten some of the okra seedlings and peppers. Slugs love my bales, especially the re-cycled ones from last year. I think they burrow in them! There were baby slugs as well as larger ones on lots of the plants last night at dusk so I know they are the culprit.

Fortunately, I had bought a large container of Sluggo about a month ago for my Hostas with all our rain so am prepared. I sure used a lot!

What do you used to eradicate slugs?

Dahlonega, GA

Beer , buried up to the rim in where ever plants are growing in . cheap and it works .

Wake Forest, NC

Dang!!

Fusarium wilt!

Had to pull up my Brandywines, German Johnsons, and Dr Wyche's Yellow tomatoes.

Last year I'm planting those. Trouble with them for the last few years.

I seem to have the Early Blight under control this year.

Mexico Midgets look like the probably are going to bite the dust. We will see.

Cukes, squash, and zukes have done awesome this year.

Rest of the tomatoes are doing well so far, but the heat and humidity in the South is tough on a garden.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I will have to watch my German Johnsons then. This is my first year with them. I haven't planted any of the others this year.

Sorry to hear that Kent.

I've heard of using beer for slugs Sally. Now Coreys have put out a slug bait that the rain doesn't bother. I had Bob pick some up for me today but haven't looked at it. Hopefully he got the right stuff.

Think this stuff was made for Seattle. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.