Need Some Raised Beds in Community Garden Ideas

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I posted this in the High Yield forum as well:

My yard is very shady-getting more so every year as my trees get bigger. I have a 4x12 garden bed, but it really doesn't get enough sun anymore. There are a couple of places in my town that offer reasonable community garden plots-I have used the raised bed method for many years, does anyone have any suggestions for working this into a community garden? The beds could not be permanent, but it looks like I might have the option to request to keep the same plot each year. I have always used boards around my beds but I think that setting up and breaking down the beds (and hauling the wood back and forth) each year might get old-what do you all think? I'm thinking ahead to next year so I'm planning on touring some community gardens this year to get some ideas. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Deb

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I can't imagine a community garden that would not let someone keep the same plot from year to year. I would be upset if I put a bunch of work and money into soil prep only to find out that I would not be able to use it the following year.

Our draft rules at the Good Seed Garden insures that people who take care of their plots and pay a small annual fee will always be assured of keeping their plot.

Sonny

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Thank you for your input, Sonny-I'll check out the rules. I have two choices, a city operated community garden and one run by a local church. I've always had my own space, I'm glad I'm checking into this a year early so I can be prepared!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.