New Baby - Bowiea Volubilis

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

Just wanted to share a new baby I just received in the mail yesterday: Bowiea Volubilis, or Climbing Onion or Sea Onion. At least that's what it is supposed to be. I really have no way of knowing it's the right plant until it does some growing. They are tiny. I was looking for cheap, even though I'll have a long wait for them to grow. I paid $5.00 and received three tiny little babies. I'm excited though. Even if it'll be a long wait. =)

If anyone has any recommendations as to how to best care for this plant in southern California, I'm all ears.

Thumbnail by SkeptikSharon
Decatur, GA

I am wondering if the one on the left is a pregnant onion??
Time will tell when the grow.
If its warm and sunny don't let them get too dry for too long.
Good luck.
Helen

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

The one that is sprouting? I hope not! We shall see. I already have a pot of pregnant onions, although their bulbs are all more of a greenish color, rather than white like these look. But we'll see. I hope I got what I ordered. If not, it was only $5, and I know not to order from there again. =)

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is another picture of my sea onion. In addition to that main leaf growth that was coming out, it has now kind of split and there is a thinner piece getting longer.

Thumbnail by SkeptikSharon
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That's just the way they grow. Sometimes those green things (in Araceae they are called cataphylls. I wonder...) remain on the plant all growing season and sometimes they wither right away. I used to grow this species years ago and even a small onion cam make quite a bit of foliage. And little chartreuse, star shaped flowers. :) Enjoy!

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

That is exactly what intrigued me about these! Those little flowers! Plus, I was fascinated by all the foliage coming out of one little thing too. I'm excited to see it continue it's growth. =)

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh, the cataphyll would be the original green stemmy piece, or the other piece that has separated (or is growing next to) from it?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The simple, sheath like one would be the cataphyll. And I don't know if that is the right term in this instance. The other, taller shoot will turn into as shoot finely dissected leaves or into a flowering stem.

Ontario, CA(Zone 8b)

Very cool! The end of the taller shoot looks a little feathery at the end, so I'm guessing that's where I'll start seeing changes. I'm so excited. I feel like a kid again! =)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And B. volubilis is one that won't fail to please. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.