Any thoughts on what this is?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

A friend sent me this pix of a flower blooming back in his timber. I would love to have him dig some for me for my woodland garden. Neither of us have a clue as to what it is. Do any of you? Thanks!

Susie

Thumbnail by SusieR
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

It looks like a species of Monarda/Bee Balm to me. I would like to have it in my woodland garden also.
You are more likely to get the correct answer if you post this in the Plant and Tree Identification forum. That's where all the plant gurus hang out. :-)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much! I'll post it there as well. It's so pretty! If I can get it to transplant, I'll have to send you some next year! :)

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I would love that.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

It's very transplantable. You should put it either in a place where it is somewhat contained, or where you don't mind it spreading. I transplanted 3 puny little plants three years ago, and they're now covering an area about 10X10.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

WOW! It is pretty, though! :)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes that is a a wild Monarda. I too have some growing I found in the woods behind my house. The bees and buttterflies just love it!

Doug

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Wild Bergamot is a Monarda with lavender blooms.

dead head if you do not want clumps of it every where.

mine are about 4 feet tall, give or take. i just love them, but after 5 yrs with them, i dead head like mad once the blooms are spent.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coloration is like Wild Bergamot, Monarda fistulosa, but the leaves suggest Bradbury's Monarda, Monarda bradburiana. Photo is of my M. bradburiana. Notice the leaf texture, margin and attachment to the stem. Compare with your photo and with photos of M. fistulosa: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1097/

Edited to add: Both are N. American native species and easy to grow. M. bradburiana only grows 24 - 30 inches tall.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

greenthumb -- thank you for correcting me.
from the image, it looked like Bergmot.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

tcs1366 - easy to confuse as the plants are very similar. It helps when one grows them both and can compare specimens. Also, Wild Bergamot is much more widely seen and known and therefore the "default" ID. Glad I could be of help.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks (belatedly) for all of your help! I found it at a native plant sale and we'll see how it does this year! ;)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I think it's one of those "readily hybridizes" plants, too?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.