Need ID for IN wildflower

Hobart, IN

Can anyone ID this wildflower? Please excuse my horrible photo and hoping there's enough detail to decipher the photo. In my garden in NW IN, it's growing in shade. It blooms in the latter half of May with pale lavender flowers. Some of the leaves have irregular silver blotches on them. It appears to be a perennial and will self-sow. I haven't seen any taller than 1 1/2 ft in bloom. Any help will be appreciated.

Thumbnail by CindyMzone5
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Hydrophyllum virginianum?
http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/virginia-waterleaf

Hobart, IN

Eureka! That's it! I also have a friend who has actually planted some of these in her garden and they do self-sow rather abundantly. The flowers are really pretty in the spring. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

These are great in a naturalized setting but kind of a thug in a garden. I found them mixed in the woodland half of my yard last year and left them, but now they've spread to my hosta beds. Not so easy to remove, as the stems easily break off at the roots.

Hobart, IN

Eleven - you are right about them being somewhat thuggish but I've intentionally plant far worse things (much to my dismay!). I tend to weed with one of those big knives so it's not so bad to dig them out. They are in a more natural setting so it's not so bad. I can't pull them when they're in flower - almost a crime. They've never seeded themselves up a 10 ft incline to the main yard which is a little more manicured.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

We have those all over our woods, and it's one of my favorite wildflowers. Of course, we garden in containers, mostly, so it's not a problem.

Hobart, IN

It does put on a rather nice show in bloom and I do look forward to it every year.

Minneapolis, MN

As a note of interest, the young leaves of Virginia waterleaf are edible as a salad green. I've eaten them before the plant is in flower, though, so it's too late for that now... check it out next year.

Teresa

Hobart, IN

Teresa - what's the flavor like? DD is moving to MI in a month from TN and she's big on foraging. I'm wondering if the waterleaf also grows in MI.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

It's all over my garden, so I'd say it grows fine in Michigan.

Minneapolis, MN

Hi Cindy--

Virginia waterleaf tastes very "green" for lack of a better word. Slightly bitter, like romaine lettuce, but not as crunchy. Not something to make an entire salad out of, more like an accent.

Teresa

Hobart, IN

Eleven - thanks for that report. DD's heading towards the Holland area.
Teresa - I can understand the "green" thing. To my non-discerning tongue, the leafy things DD has me try to taste "green". :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.