Need help with buying an incubator

Bridgewater, ME

There is not that many peaple here who have chickens and the ones that do they just throw all the breeds in togather,I have put on craigs list that I would like some blue black or white orpington eggs to hatch and so far nothing.One of the reasons I started rasing orps was because they were suppose to go broody,not one of mine has.The little polish is just not thriving,I gave it some vit. this morning,but it sleeps most of the time,I have seen it drink but not eat.The other ones are running and jumping but not him.Mostly what you see here for breeds are RIR,and sex links The little polish died a little while ago,so sad didn`t even get to be a chciken.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 3:59 PM

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

awww, Green so sorry!

Bridgewater, ME

Thanks

Richmond, TX

How sad! I'm sorry. It was a cutie.

Ferndale, WA

Sorry about your loss Green, but, I still think your doing everything right and some things cannot be held at bay...Your a great chicken head and breeder to be...Hay

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Aww.. I'm sorry Green. It was not meant to be. I always worry when I have one quiet, standing alone.. I know it's still sad. :(

Bridgewater, ME

I really like this incubator,it keeps great temp.I just have to get used to the humidity,I think I need to add water every three days,its hard to see if its empty with the egg turner in there.

Ferndale, WA

Green, you don't need to know if its empty. Just read the humidity, and if it's low put in a half glass of water. after three or four minutes read the humidity again and if it's still low add the other half glass, if it's to high pull out the red plugs and let the humidity escape for a few minutes. Also make sure you leave one egg hole empty in the center area so you can pour in the water. You don't have to see where its going, it will go into the ditches designed to hold the water...Hope this helps my friend...Hay

Bridgewater, ME

To late for the empty hole,have them all filled,I watch the humidity and add about every three days,pretty much know now what to do.Thanks Hay and will remember to leave one egg out next time.This will my last hatch for this year.Gave away four roosters today YEAH

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I use a turkey baster to fill the water.. that way I can "squirt" it in the middle without getting eggs wet.. which wouldn't be a crime if they did get a little wet. :)

I've always had to add sponges to get enough humidity.. but i was using the styrofoam bators..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.