concrete

Pendleton, OR

HI can anyone tell me do i need a finsh coat before planting in a concrete planter? Thank you for any help

mulege, Mexico

The garden art forum has a "creative concrete" thread by Camilla. She might be the best person to answer your question. I think bare concrete might leach lime but I'm not sure. kb

Pendleton, OR

I LL look thank you

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I think that bare concrete would absorb the dirt and look stained after a short while, too. I know only that my DMom had us use Drylock on the inside of the concrete pots that she bought so that they would always look nice...

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think you can seal it, but don't seal the bottom...needs to breathe I believe...at least that is the case w/ home made pavers. You can seal the paver top and sides but not the bottom or it weakens...I think it holds moisture.

Mukwonago, WI

I've been making and planting in concrete for almost 10 yrs, I never seal anything. if you're worried about alkali, I usually wait a couple months before planting, or you can soak it in a solution of vinegar and water to neutralize the alkali. you can even soak in a bucket of water and change out the water every couple days for a couple weeks. the biggest thing might be to turn over in the winter or cover them.

Pendleton, OR

thank you this has all been a big help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images