Carolina Lily getting ready to bloom

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

We have about 25 or 30 of these plants on our property, but they don't seem to bloom very often. Last year we only had one bloom and the seed pod came up empty. This year we have two with big fat buds within 4 feet of each other so we are hoping for some seeds.

Thumbnail by NativeVA
Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry forgot the latin: Lilium michauxii

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

So much for seeds this year. Yesterday around noon, a deer ate one of the blooms. My wife saw it in the area a chased it away. She caged the last one, but we should have done that before. We didn't think we had to, it's only 75 feet from the house. Live and learn.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I have one. I didn't know what it was for a couple of years. It grew bigger this year and even had a bloom. Here is the pic...I think it is gorgeous!!
deb

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from estrail1rider :
I have one. I didn't know what it was for a couple of years. It grew bigger this year and even had a bloom. Here is the pic...I think it is gorgeous!!
deb

How much sun does yours get? Ours doesn't get much sun. The one that bloomed last year gets the some sun but not a lot, but didn't have a bud this year. You are right down the road from us. We are on RT 42. Ours looks like it will bloom by the weekend. (Unless the deer get it. We have it gaged.)

If they like more sun, we have about 40 plants throughout our property (all in dense shade), I am thinking about moving them to a better suited location where they will be happier, bloom and propogate more.

Any opinions?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 3:19 PM

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I am on Craig Creek Rd.
Mine is growing in shade but not deep shade. I think the ones I have seen in the woods previously, must have had their buds eaten as I have never seen one blooming except the one I have. That is why I wasn't sure of what it was until it bloomed this year. Don't know why I never tried to look it up! It is growing in a small bed below but in front of upper deck. deer get my daylilies down the drive but never have gotten that close.
Deb

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Mine bloomed yesterday. I took pictures but haven't downloaded them yet. I will tonight.

The one that bloom last year definelty gets the most sun and the one this year is dappled. I think I will experiment and move a handfull from the dense forest to a little more sun, cage them and see what happens next year.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Here's our beauty.

Thumbnail by NativeVA
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful! I'm trying to acquire some myself.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

My wife said she saw some along the road the other day on the way to Gap Mills, VA. They were on a hillside in what looked like poor soil and full sun. She saw two that had three blooms per stalk. I am going to move a dozen from the deeper woods so they can get more sun and see what happens.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Those are very pretty. Good work. And good luck. They look like Turks caps

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Yeah, but much shorter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.